You are not logged in. Please register or login.

huntermc
 Rep: 12 

Re: Ron leaving the band after Vegas?

huntermc wrote:
misterID wrote:

Bring back Buckethead.

As much as I'd love to see that, I don't think that will ever happen, at least not as a full time touring band member.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Id love for Axl to reunite original band in Studio and then let these dudes be touring members.

johndivney wrote:

I'll miss him.

One of few guys you could relate to. He did a lot to bring the brand back to the fans, being the antithesis of the aloofness that preceded him.

But I can see how it's run out of steam & was never a perfect fit/wouldn't fulfil its potential. Just another maybe/missed opportunity on the road.

So it goes.
& he was a good friend to this msg board which shouldn't be forgotten. Maybe that was something which counted against him tho!!

-D-

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sounds like the best move for Ron. He clearly hasn't been happy for a long time and Guns certainly won't be the creative outlet for him that he is looking for.

Hearing his solo stuff and the changes he made to Buckets parts on CD, it ain't a big loss in that regard.

I feel the same way. Nothing personal against Ron, Just feel his style doesn't mesh with GNR. I really don't care about being "Friends" with a bandmember. I just want someone that can move me and write something that resonates and stays with me forever.

CD doesn't do that. Axl's lyrics, melodies, piano and vocals are on one level, everything else is beneath it except for some Buckethead moments left on. The other guitarists just weren't talented enough to equal Axl.

imsorry wrote:

bye Ron!

Sky Dog wrote:
-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:
Aussie wrote:

Sounds like the best move for Ron. He clearly hasn't been happy for a long time and Guns certainly won't be the creative outlet for him that he is looking for.

Hearing his solo stuff and the changes he made to Buckets parts on CD, it ain't a big loss in that regard.

I feel the same way. Nothing personal against Ron, Just feel his style doesn't mesh with GNR. I really don't care about being "Friends" with a bandmember. I just want someone that can move me and write something that resonates and stays with me forever.

CD doesn't do that. Axl's lyrics, melodies, piano and vocals are on one level, everything else is beneath it except for some Buckethead moments left on. The other guitarists just weren't talented enough to equal Axl.

Well, Axl is essentially the reason the record turned in to "a mish mash of instrumentation" as Tommy called it. Don't hang the mixing of that record and the ultimate finished product on the band members. Every note on that album had Axl's hands on it at some point.

I watched the 2001 RIO performance the other day...damn good for the first time those guys played live together at a real big event. That performance blows away the slick 3d dvd they just officially released. However, again, the Vegas show just highlighted how bad Axl sounds live now. He has his moments but overall the power is completely gone. My wife could not believe it. The band, again, kicked ass....the jams were tight, they put some cool spins on the classics. They rocked and Axl sounded horrific. He kept trying to go from Mickey to his lower register and it was pitchy as hell...middle register didn't exist except for a few moments.... Catcher in the Rye was cool and SOD....The Seeker (ha-it is good fuckers!).

Ok, I am rambling. I just get agitated when people dismiss the band. He has had TONS of talent around him. However, he was responsible for delivering the product...definitely not the band's fault for anything.

In the end, every one claims 2002 should have been the year to deliver the album. I now disagree. I think it should have been delivered after Rio in the summer of 2001 as the camp was alluding to in interviews around the time of Rio. Obviously, the more time went on, the more the album suffered as simply too many people became involved. hmm

Here is the album I wish we would have gotten.....as always, thanks to Whispers...

Ever since 01/08/01, a week after the Vegas show and a week before the Rio performance, GNR had added European dates for the June tour itinerary.

"[The album] will be released in June or July. They already have 48 songs and the record company is selecting the material." (Beta Lebeis, Brazilian Journal, 03/12/01)

"Robin Finck shed some light on the groups (GnR's) upcoming plans. He stated that the new album, 'Chinese Democracy', is looking for a June release through Interscope [...] with a single hitting radio earlier in the Spring [...] while the band will be doing a European tour in May and June."  (Finck Tank, 03/03/01)

[...] 'I have heard the a leaked version of Chinese Democracy that had some really weird keyboards on it and I didn't like the sound of that at all,' [Zutaut says]. 'The stuff we worked on back in '01 smoked its ass.'" (Classic Rock, 04/08)

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

This band is done, right?

-D-

-D- wrote:

I don't agree. I kind of always wondered if the album took so long, because the guys involved were unable to write up to Axl's standards. Hence the re-recording of AFD, to somehow show them what he is after. CD has some very good guitar solos, but the riffs or lack thereof are FUCKING terrible.

Also, one of my great attractions to GNR is the loose, somewhat sloppy playing. The new band play them almost too perfect that it takes some of the magic out of it.

Rock in Rio 2001 definitely kicks the shit out of any boot I've seen.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
bigbri wrote:

This band is done, right?

what band?

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I just think he's watching to see what the next move is. If he was totally out he'd just say so I think. Whatever opinions people may have on Ron as a player he's always tried to tell it how it is and if he was totally gone I think he'd be clear about it.

As it stands there's no official activity in 2015 we know of Guns-wise anyway and as it seems (from recent interviews) he's more of touring player than any sort of studio influence, I guess if they aren't touring he's not really in the band until called upon. Perhaps that's just how it views it now and he'll look at it again if/when he gets a call.

Board footer