You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Listened to Libertad yesterday.............

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Contraband had HORRIBLE songs.

Wow, if you think the songs on Contraband are horrible, you must think the ones on Libertad are bland as hell... 14

Four great singles - Set Me Free, Fall To Pieces, Slither, Dirty Little Thing, and the rest was solid mix of rockers and ballads.

I really liked the structure of the Libertad songs. Contraband seemed really unfocused and all over the place. I wouldn't call it filler, but it seemed like all the songs were written without Scott and he came in later and wrote some hollow lyrics and forced melodies. I swear he wrote those lyrics in rehab.

Yeah, you're right in that regard, but to me Scott took hold of the direction too much on Libertad.
Instead of capitalizing on the great heavy rock band he had backing him, he turned them into indie pop, with Slash solos on top. Not really my cup of tea.

And yeah, I think the lyrics on Contraband were actually written during when Scott was being locked up for drug offences. A lot of nonsensical stuff there! 14

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Libertad (well, including Messages) is my favorite of all the post 93 albums from any of them.  There's actually some really good stuff on there, but the mix doesn't present it in it's best light.  I'd love to see what some of you thought if we could get it remixed to feature Slash's guitar a bit more.  It's not that I don't like Contraband, but I'm more of a melodic rock guy than I am a fast paced rock guy.  It's why I prefer Axl's (with Slash's contributions) songs like Estranged, Breakdown, etc over straight rockers like Garden of Eden.  And while I'm not a big lyrics guy, Contraband was a pile of crap Lyrics wise...at least Libertad had some meaning behind it.

Nice to see you guys...I still check in every now and then, but hopefully there's more to talk about in the near future.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Listened to some of it on my way to work. First time in a while.  TBH, in the first 0:08 seconds I could tell whats wrong with it.  As stated before, Slash's awful kazoo guitar sound on Let It Roll is just badly recorded &/or produced. Matts drums sound lame too. She Mine sounded ok, Get Out the Door has a weak guitar riff on the verses, as do all the songs. Which I'll go off into a tangent here a bit.  Dave Kushner was the wrong choice. Every songs verse just has a weak, following kinda guitar sound. Nothing challenging, nothing powerful, no memorable licks like Appetite, ACDC, or Pyromania... IMHO they shoulda stuck with Gilby Clarke. Myb Slash & Duff didn't know him or care for him all that much, but he impressed me back on that (lame) show SuperNova or whatever. Otherwise get someone else in, not gonna bother naming names.  Having said that, they really didn't need to bring Matt back. Wasn't a real GnR member, but also as someone else stated, a great drummer, session drummer in a way, but not really needed for this project.  Didn't ruin it, but not sure why he was needed to be in on it.  IMHO they shoulda used Tommy Lee, think what you will about that. Back to Libertad.  SBQM was a pretty weak song, again chorus ok, surprised this was chosen as the lead single, seemed to have almost the least 'hit' potential of any of them. Sure didn't build excitement. Pills, Demons etc - always liked that song.  Last Fight & American Man, those 2 plus Messages kinda show me where Scott was heading with the whole initial "Concept Album" project. Seemed to be going somewhere (Iraqi war vet). Still perplexed why Messages was left off this album, did we ever hear enything re; that?

Overall, I was never a big Weiland or STP fan, but I really can't blame him on this one. The choruses usually seemed really good, enhances the songs & thus the music (Daves guitar) follows.  Granted, the lyrics are typical of Scott, he was never to be confused with Robert Plant or Lennon, even in some of his STP work (Interstate Love Song).

Overall, I just don't think these guys had the chemistry or mixed potential to really do some great stuff as is. Just hits & misses. And Brendan O'Brien did a piss poor job producing this, which always surprised me. I liked nearly ever album he seemed to be associated with, and its sound.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Perhaps Matt was chosen more because he was a known quantity. Solid (damn solid actually) if perhaps unspectacular but they knew what they'd be getting from him in both music and personality.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Perhaps Matt was chosen more because he was a known quantity. Solid (damn solid actually) if perhaps unspectacular but they knew what they'd be getting from him in both music and personality.

Yeah I figure as much.  Its just that that becomes apparent on Libertad. Same thing with Dave, a known, safe quantity. 

To finish up, Mary Mary & Just 16 are kinda filler/throwaways, similar to a few I mentioned above. Can't Get Your Out of My Head is a nice cover, unique song choice. I can't hate. I always like For a Brother, same a Pills Demons etc. Not a fan of Spay. Then my old cd started scratching, which sucked. Cause I really like Gravedances & Don't Drop that Dime.

Shuffled, and adding in Messages, and eliminating 2 or 3 songs, this could've been a much better album. Especially with a better production & sound.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

I think I said earlier in the thread I found Libertad to be a better overall album than Contraband. All it was missing was a couple of hits. I'd give most of the songs on Libertad a consistent 6.5 whereas Contraband there's some 8's but also some 4's.

Always liked Just 16, thought it was a strong track, just didn't quite deliver the quality chorus it built up to.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash has some great Chuck Berry style playing on Just 16.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Always liked Just 16, thought it was a strong track, just didn't quite deliver the quality chorus it built up to.

Fair point.

Board footer