You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

BLS-Pride wrote:
Hidden Text:

I suspect Sstannis the Mannis in early season 5 closing out the storyline and beginning a new with Jon taking Lord Commander etc. I hope they don't squeeze it all in next week. You know the Lannister events will take up a good portion.

I thought the first 15 minutes were a waste. The fight sequence with Alliser and Tormund was really good. Thorne may have been a dick but he was badass in battle. Great performance from that actor through out the episode. The hammer shot from Jon and the cook with the meat clever were highlights. As well as the giant arrow through that one dude and the Wall anchor. The mini true detectiveish tracking shot was pretty cool. The Giants were done really well. Great character design. Visually is was better than Blackwater but lacked the emotion I felt.

With all the changes and character swapping I still really enjoyed it and how everything worked out.

AtariLegend wrote:

In fairness to them, unless Winds of Winter comes out next year the show will have major problems after next season. So it'd make sense to slow the Jon story specifically down. On the other hand why speed up Theon and Brans?

AtariLegend wrote:

Game of Thrones season 5: New characters announced at Comic-Con 2014

Nine new characters will be joining the cast Game of Thrones for season five of HBO’s flagship fantasy drama.

The announcement was made yesterday at San Diego Comic Con during a Game of Thrones Q&A session with cast and crew from the show.

Sitting on the panel were stars Kit Harington, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Gwendoline Christie, Natalie Dormer, John Bradley, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Rory McCann, Pedro Pascal and Rose Leslie, along with producers David Benioff and D.B. Weiss and writer George RR Martin.

The new additions were announced via a two-minute video, in which each actor revealed the character they would be playing and their thoughts on joining the series.

Many of the new cast will play characters primarily based in the dessert kingdom of Dorne.

Among the new faces joining the show will be Alexander Siddig, who will be playing Doran Martell, the stoic ruler of Dorne and the older brother of the gruesomely slain Oberyn. Previously, Siddig has starred in 24 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.

Newcomer Toby Sebastian will take on the role of Trystane Martell, the youngest son of Doran.

The Oscar-nominated New Zealand actress Keisha Castle-Hughes will play the fiery Obara Sand, one of Prince Oberyn’s illegitimate daughters, who is seeking revenge for her father’s murder at the hands of the Mountain in season four.

Castle-Hughes is best known for her role in 2002’s critically acclaimed Whale Rider and her turn in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

London-born star DeObia Oparei will play Areo Hotah, the loyal protector of Doran Martell. The actor has had parts in Moulin Rouge!, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides and 2012's Dredd, which also featured Game of Thrones star Lena Headey.

The highest profile name joining season five is Jonathan Pryce, who will star as the High Sparrow, a religious figure who could be making waves in King’s Landing. Pryce has had successful career spanning four decades, with his turn as the villainous media mogul Elliot Carver in James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies being one of his most notable roles.

Myrcella Baratheon will be played by newcomer Nell Tiger Free. Viewers may remember in season three that Tyrion shipped his niece off to Dorne against Cersei’s wishes. In season five we are likely to see more of the Westrosi princess, who is the incestuous offspring of her mother and her uncle Jaime.

Enzo Cilenti will take on the part of the slave trader Yezzan, the Bradford born actor has had various parts on film and television, including The Rum Diary opposite Johnny Depp.

Nymeria “Nym” Sand will be played by Jessica Henwick, her best known role to date is in television series Silk and Spirit Warriors. Nym is as equally as feisty as her “sand snake” sisters. Rosabell Laurenti Sellers will play Tyene Sand, another illegitimate daughter of Oberyn.

The new season of Game of Thrones is expected to air in 2015.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 30403.html

Hidden Text:

No Arianne since she presumable ends up with Aegon in Winds of Winter. None of the Ironborn, although they could show up in season 6 (unlikely though unless they extend Dany's story which they won't). Also seems there's no chance of Stoneheart now.

Michelle Fairley, who plays the role of Catelyn Stark or Lady Stoneheart, told Entertainment Weekly that her character will no longer return to the series. "The character's dead. She's dead," she shared sadly.
She added the producers spoke with her and told her that Lady Stoneheart will not be revived in Season 5 or later either. "I knew the arc, and that was it. They can't stick to the books 100 percent. It's impossible- they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting, and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show," the actress said.
- http://www.hallels.com/articles/2838/20 … -video.htm

Rumours are Jamie heads to Dorne as well, so it looks like they're going to skip most of the material from the next 2 books and go in a different direction.

AtariLegend wrote:

I blame TV show fans

Hidden Text:

who think the show is based around the adventures of Tyrion.

Winds has a prologue finished (going by Comic con), several chapters online and

Hidden Text:

supposedly the ending of the battles in Dance were all moved to Winds.

No reason to believe the book won't be out in 2/3 years max and you have to assume the show would get renewed past season 6. Shame the show writters can't have the same outlook now, that they did in season 2.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Finally got through to the end of season 4 with this, I'm fashionably late to all good tv. Nice to be able to read all this thread and get up to speed as well!

Love it, great show. I've only read book one so most of the tv show is/was fresh to me. Thought the end of season 4 was very strong, three great episodes at the end that all could have been a season climax in their own right.

Hidden Text:

Gutted Oberyn died he was a good character but what a way to go, jaw dropping scene.

Hopefully the Hound is still alive, I was expecting him to have a big battle with his brother at some stage. Although it seemed like they were teasing the Mountain to become some sort of Bane type figure in the final episode?

The Castle Black seige was epic. Like others said the shows overall focus on kings landing/Dany possibly reduces the impact but they had been building to it since season 2 so it still had meaning for me.

Not expecting the Tywin death at this stage (assuming he is dead), I thought his character would run and run. Although it does leave the Lannister grip on the throne via Tommen on shaky ground which should be interesting.

Glad Tyrion made it through the season, it'll be interesting to see what becomes of him and Varys.

I've gotta say though no matter how important he's undoubtedly going to be I just can't get interested in the Bran plot at all. The Stannis stuff is often a struggle as well.

johndivney wrote:

They filmed some of s05e01 not more than a mile or 2 from my house, at a working castle.
I went round but there wasn't much craic. Just humourless security guards & caravans.
Not very exciting. They got good weather tho when they were here. Didn't really represent the place in its true light..

AtariLegend wrote:

It's a shame you don't like Stannis APE. I'm reallly looking forward to the storyline in the North this season.

There's alot of ground to cover. I just hope the show doesn't go the Rome Season 2 route and try to speed everything up and advance too much time even though that was a good season. They're basically fitting 2 very long books into 9 episodes next season. So much ground to cover and all really so that this season has a bunch cliffhanger moments each episde to rival last season.

I know the

Hidden Text:

big Jon Snow momment

is in episode 9, people got extra roles here and mentioned it. I failed unfortunately.

Episode 10 is going to be really fasinating, can only hope George gave over the material he's already finished from Winds to the writters. The show may be a pop culture phenomenon, but the material came from the books. I don't have the same faith in the producers to make up their own story.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

It's not that I don't like Stannis, he's just a bit boring. On the tv show at least. I have read book one and he gets more of a build up than he did on the tv show so perhaps the character is a victim of the transition to tv? I just felt he turned up in season 2, sulked around because he wasn't king, then spent season 3 sulking because he'd lost Blackwater then he was largely absent in season 4 appearing near the end to save the north (his best moment so far). I'm happy to be converted he's just not done too much to be excited by.

Am I right in thinking the next season is likely to catch up to the books or is there still another book after that?

AtariLegend wrote:

Yes, by the end of episode 9 it's all going to be caught up with the books. With a few shortcuts taken.

A few characters are already almost at the end of the material. The problem was Book 4 essentially introduces new characters and only tells the plot of certain characters like Cersei and Jamie. Absent are most of the stars/favorites of the TV show like Tyrion/Jon/Danny and Stannis ect who only show up in Book 5. The stories are told parallel, until later on in Book 5 where the stories catch up with each other and go further.

The next book is Book 6 "Winds of Winter", but it hasn't been released yet and the only material we know about from it are the preview chapters that were released years ago and read at private conventions.

Next season should be really strong, but we have no idea what happens next.

AtariLegend wrote:

Bootleg of the season 5 Trailer from the Imax Screenings of Episode 9/10 last season.

Board footer