You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

AtariLegend wrote:
BLS-Pride wrote:

I'm worried about next season too. Hoping Martin will be a little more hands on. He had nothing to do with last season. Almost like he washed his hands of it.

Not likely. He confirmed near the start of the year that he wouldn't be writing a script for season 6 neither. So it's likely he'll have even less of an influence. He supposedly said at a recent Q/A that he wasn't entirely happy with the show and that certain characters dead on the show will be alive through the end of the books.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The Hound looks to still be alive as well. I'm sure Martin has a bit of creative control so they don't go crazy. They have to follow a plotline he gave them, even if they take a few liberties. The reason he hasn't written any episodes recently is because he's been focused on getting thee next books out.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

"Focused" ... lol

Grrm's timeliness are a fluid as gnr's

AtariLegend wrote:

In fairness, it's not like he writes short books. His books are generally 3 to 4 times longer than many other popular authors.

The final 2 books are the most important. So much to look forward to just at the start of TWOW such as the Battle of Ice/Meereen, Euron plots, Jon fate, what happens between Jamie/Brienne and Cerseri's trial by combat, never-mind what the story will look like by the end. We know there'll be less POV characters by the end of it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I'm already familiar with his timelines and the length of his books

its a genre wide thing tho...1000 age novels take time to finish...especially with many characters and what not...its a lot of work to coordinate with already known info in the world

still he had originally claimed to be done writing the series in 1998...in 3 books...we are going on book 6 with one or 2 more planned.

Robert Jordan wheel of time was the same...Jordan ended up dying before he finished the series and  the final 3 books had to be ghost written from his notes...the final 3 books were supposed to be one book...lol

GRRM is release the Dunk and Egg anthology this month (3 previously written short stories of Aegon V Targaryen as he squires for a Hedge Knight in his youth)

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I was basically looking forward to Cersei taking it off the entire season, then they use a stand in! 17

With all the characters they've killed off there needs to be something special going forward. Dinklage and Gillen can't carry it on their own. Well I guess they could, but they aren't given enough scenes.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Just watch 300 instead wink

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I was basically looking forward to Cersei taking it off the entire season, then they use a stand in! 17

With all the characters they've killed off there needs to be something special going forward. Dinklage and Gillen can't carry it on their own. Well I guess they could, but they aren't given enough scenes.

Just as fyi for the show watchers.

There seems to be less rape in the books than the show and the show does go out for controversy, like that badly filmed Cerseri/Jamie sex scene that was turned into a rape scene or sacrificing Sansa's character arc for a rape storyline with Ramsay. That said in the books there is a rape scene they ignore and that's Tyrion raping a prostitute (when he encounters the prostitute earlier this season, he just apparently decides he's tired of sex instead).

For all the controversy and illogical shock value the show writers write in, they ignore the grey shades in both Tyrion/Danny. Tyrion is supposed to be anti-hero and Danny is someone you're supposed to question. Both are whitewashed on the show.

As for Littlefinger, well they just sacrificed his game plan this season with a stupid decision to pawn Sansa off to the Boltons first chance he gets, parading her around so that everyone in Westros knew who she was and then apparently in the show he has no idea who Ramsay is?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Just as fyi for the show watchers.

There seems to be less rape in the books than the show and the show does go out for controversy, like that badly filmed Cerseri/Jamie sex scene that was turned into a rape scene or sacrificing Sansa's character arc for a rape storyline with Ramsay. That said in the books there is a rape scene they ignore and that's Tyrion raping a prostitute (when he encounters the prostitute earlier this season, he just apparently decides he's tired of sex instead).

For all the controversy and illogical shock value the show writers write in, they ignore the grey shades in both Tyrion/Danny. Tyrion is supposed to be anti-hero and Danny is someone you're supposed to question. Both are whitewashed on the show.

As for Littlefinger, well they just sacrificed his game plan this season with a stupid decision to pawn Sansa off to the Boltons first chance he gets, parading her around so that everyone in Westros knew who she was and then apparently in the show he has no idea who Ramsay is?

Wow, they are really veering from the books then. Tyrion I guess is not such a big deal since he's so likeable, but turning Dany into this Mother Teresa figure has been really jarring. I hate almost every scene she is in. The whole Greyworm storyline is also an incredible bore. Thank God they brought Tyrion in the mix.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I can't believe they thought that Dorne storyline was a good idea. Holy shit, that was awful. I don't like what they did to Stannis, either. How does he go from taking any measure necessary to put him or his daughter on the iron throne to the shit he pulled?

Board footer