You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

Re: Donald Trump running for President

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

So of all the videos I posted the past couple pages where they interview residents or talk about the immigration process or show people buying steak and lotto tickets you don't find a grain of truth in any of it?  Are you being honest here?

Yes, there's probably a grain of truth in it, but you should also take it with a grain of salt. I get what you're trying to say, and understand why these examples are off-putting to a lot of people, but you can't let anecdotal evidence like this drive policy. You need to use real statistical information for that, and anything I've seen doesn't come near anything that would warrant Trump's proposal to not allow any Muslims to enter the country until "we've figured out what's what" (whatever that means).

But getting back the the main point, what would implementing Trump's proposal actually look like in practice? How do you stop Muslims from entering the US? They can come from everywhere (e.g. in Europe Muslims represent roughly 6% of the population, a not insignificant percentage), so you'd need to implement something that affects all people traveling into the US, not just the ones that need a Visa. You can't ask people about their religion, and even if you could it's not like you can come up with a waterproof test for something like that, all they need to do is identify as non-religious and there's literally nothing you can ask them to test that claim. So we can't do country of origin, and we can't do religion. What can we do? Ethnicity? Muslim people are not only Arab in descent, but there are huge populations in sub-saharan Africa (black people) and South-east Asia (Asian people), so that leaves white people only... that's not going to fly, I suspect...

Understanding that saying 'most terrorists are muslim' is not the same as saying 'most muslims are terrorists', it just seems to me that in fighting terrorism, we can't even practically single out a specific religion, race or geography, let alone that this is something that we'd want to do ethically speaking.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think the worst thing is allowing oceans of them to walk, swim, and fly into these EU countries.  Have you watched any of the videos? The Autobahn looks like a slum, thousands invading once quiet towns demanding free checks, houses, playstations, list goes on. Muslim men freaking out on trains standing next to normal, everyday citizens. Girls have been attacked for wearing bikinis(it upsets Muslims) and they've even attacked grandmas for god knows what(maybe for not wearing a burqa). For some reason people act surprised that others are getting sick of this shit.  I saw that video of the guy on the train yelling at those people for no reason and had I been there , I would have kicked the living shit out of him, just for the sake of the women standing there being forced to endure that psychosis.

The videos are horrible and we should do everything we can to avoid such situations, you'll never hear me contest this. I live in Europe and work in the US (mostly the bay area) for half of the year, so I can bring some perspective to this and make an honest comparison. It's easy to look at these videos and think that this is what all of Europe looks like these days. And when I drive through Germany, walk through Brussels or take the metro in Paris, I see things like this once in a while. But I see it with about the same frequency that I see end-of-days preachers shouting at and harassing passers by when I walk through downtown LA, homeless people lining up to sleep under the awning at Macy's in SF, people being harassed by beggars on the subway in NY, ... It's easy enough to find examples that will support any type of message on both continents, but it's just not reflective of the day-to-day reality in these places.

Yes, we need to organize the shit out of this, and one of the things we should definitely do is spread the burden of taking these people in. I'm absolutely not saying we need to accept everyone and everything, there's a real chance that potential terrorists will try to abuse the west's openness so we have to be vigilant and do extensive background checking before we give anyone asylum (And this typically takes over a year in Europe, over two years in the US). But, you have to make decisions on an individual case-by-case basis, we can't make sweeping generalizations like keeping out 'all muslims' (not even for a "limited amount of time").

And remember, Islam immigrants are simply not a problem in the US, it's completely impractical for refugees to come to the States unless they have much deeper pockets than the average Syrian has these days. So why are the republicans latching on the San Bernardino to make this the hot topic of the election? Oh, that's right, because it takes focus away from the real problems the country is facing, that they helpdc cause over the past three decades. Because it's so much easier to get votes by shifting the blame to a minority than it is to come up with actual solutions for people's day-to-day problems.

It's just all so counterproductive, it frustrates me to no end...

Tommie
 Rep: 67 

Tommie wrote:

I just wanna say, I just KNEW this would have its own topic on here smile

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Happy to oblige. 16

Good to see you btw.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

To me the idea is you stop everyone,  not just Muslims. That solves every discrimination issue I care about.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Stats on Muslims presented by a Muslim.

AtariLegend wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Wow..  This is an ugly scene here. I don't like seeing this.

Are these the videos you're referring too and asking me to be honest about? Again, completely facial. Why not post Ku Klux Klan videos instead, google the people who posted those videos (Britain first, BNP) and look at the dislikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_First

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po … 76194.html

Britain is not fucking Sweden and using broad terms such as "Europe" is ridiculous. That's like me using a situation in Hati and comparing it to the US. That's no slight on Sweden btw, that's just me pointing out that we are different countries.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I asked you about Sweden and you had no info. So we had to discuss your country. In the beginning you acted like we were racist. Now Muslims are just a problem in Sweden. Okay thanks for clarification. Just messing.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Americans, when is the last time you saw a KKK rally? Seriously. I live in Alabama, BIRMINGHAM, AL, I see no KKK here. All that said, Hate Crimes are in the rise in the USA. And my FBI neighbor tells me to expect that to continue. KKK is still out there in back woods places I am sure and they are evil. Did you know Iran is named after the Aryian Nation because they partnered with Germany back in the day?  I think that is the story. Could be wrong. Neo Nazi's in Germany over the summer burned down many refugee centers. There is still a lot of hate in Germany.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Iran means land of Aryans. It's from their Persian heritage who named themselves so.

Board footer