You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

DCK wrote:

It's worth a shot but I doubt they know much anyway.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

what a rollercoaster. 

dr pepper and possible promo campaign of album
followed immediately by announcement of new management

then nothing

and now robin is potentially gone

then a potential leak
that turns out to be fake

i am hanging my cd hat on the new management move
axl wouldn't have paid heavy money to hire them if things weren't meant to start moving

i wish i could just go to sleep and set the alarm to chinese democracy

DCK

DCK wrote:

axl wouldn't have paid heavy money to hire them if things weren't meant to start moving

Very true.

But this Finck biz...it might have come out of the blue. I have a slight feeling this band doesnt really revolve around too much talking when nothing is happening.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
DCK wrote:

Very true.

But this Finck biz...it might have come out of the blue. I have a slight feeling this band doesnt really revolve around too much talking when nothing is happening.

you mean to each other?

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
DCK wrote:

How would that work out PR wise uh? You release an album as a band but your main guitar player is busy playing for another band? To me that sounds like asking for trouble with the media in all aspects. And Axl needs all the positive PR he can get. It doesnt look good when your main guitar guy is off somewhere playing for Nince Inch Nails.

Oh yeah, this is so new.

'94-95: Robin in NIN
'97-99: Robin in GNR
'99-00: Robin in NIN
'00-08: Robin in GNR
   '08-: Robin in NIN

For one, NIN is respectable band, even moreso in the media due to TR's hatred towards major record labels and his unorthodox record release and distribution tactics. Everybody knows TR = NIN, so playing in the live band is a separate issue of being in the studio outfit. Just goes to show that Robin's a qualified performer capable of playing alongside Reznor. Trust me, Robin doing a NIN gig ísn't exactly bad publicity. If anything, he should now be able to continue forging a more distinct identity as a player.

Particularly in early '01, he was visibly still in the 'NIN phase', which isn't exactly a surprise given his renewed stint in the band. On the other hand, GNR had people with either a very distinct and defined visual outlook from the getgo (Buckethead), a more unassuming yet equally self-confident one (Tommy, et al) and lastly, a terribly undecided one. Without a frontman acting as a centerpiece and pulling the act together into a cohesive unit, everybody else is free (and perhaps even expected) to explore their own tastes and come out with something that might strike a chord with the audience. Not really that different from the way the record itself has been worked on for several years.

People like Tommy and Bucket knew what worked for them and didn't bother fixing what wasn't broke, but Axl and Robin were a pair of chameleons in '01-02. Sometimes they looked fascinating, other times horrible. At times just plain weird. In '06, both Robin and Axl took their places in the band without hesitation, not standing out as the freakish frontman and gothic guitarist but as the two key members of a solid band.

Now Robin looks like he's taken his GNR look, shaved a little facial hair and taken it to NIN. The funny thing is, I wouldn't mind if he'd look like that in GNR. Axl and Robin have grown so together in the past years, I personally think it's a great opportunity for both to have Robin check out the NIN camp again, pick up some new tricks and try out his wings as someone who has a chance to challenge Trent as far as stage presence goes, and then come back to Axl at least one more step away from all those Slash comparisons.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I personally think it's a great opportunity for both to have Robin check out the NIN camp again,

I don't. 16

It's a sign that this band is far from releasing anything and that was the last I wanted to hear.

you mean to each other?

Yep

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I can't believe some of the posts I'm reading.  Axl and Robin have grown together?  Doing what?  Not being in the same place 99% of the time?  Jesus.  Who cares if he's gone or not?  The band survived losing it's 2 guitarists with the most impact on it's sound (Slash and Izzy), it can survive losing Robin and any other member yet to appear on an album without skipping a beat.

DCK

DCK wrote:

The band survived losing it's 2 guitarists with the most impact on it's sound (Slash and Izzy), it can survive losing Robin and any other member yet to appear on an album without skipping a beat.

No they can't. The situations are not the same.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I can't believe some of the posts I'm reading.  Axl and Robin have grown together?  Doing what?

On-stage chemistry.

Frontman and lead guitarist are pretty vital members in a band like GNR. Both had been uneven before the '06 tour.

I thought Bucket was unreplaceable. He was replaced on stage, while he's still featured on the record. Ironically, Robin would turn out to be even harder to replace.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Frontman and lead guitarist are pretty vital members in a band like GNR

But of course, let them go and play with other big bands.

I imagine Slash in Motley Crue or something when GNR was off tour and wasnt recording Illusion. 16

Board footer