You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: HBO's A Game of Thrones

AtariLegend wrote:

AFFC wasn't a mess. It was just the middle book, AFFC/ADWD should really kind of be thought of as one book spilt into 2.

The reason for the split, is he ran decided he didn't want to do a 5 year gap after ASOW after he basically wrote a book, then decided to start a new and throw material in the bin. He started running out of time with deadline for ADWD (Which became AFFC/ADWD) and just split the characters story up.

I like AFFC, but I agree the ending is unsatisfying considering it had to be carried forth.

Then after he spent time writing a fairly long book (which became the ADWD that was released) he realized had to cut material and carry it forth to the next book. The material cut involved one of the major battles that's about to begin, the publisher then said you still don't have room. Thus both the battle of ice (the battle at crofter village) and the siege of Meereen that starts at the end of Selmy's final chapter got pushed to the start of TWOW. The pay off for the 2 books, got wrote years ago yet we're still waiting sad.

As for AFFC. They're doing multiple AFFC plot points next season.

johndivney wrote:

Btw, AL's got spoilers if you pay him wink

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

Btw, AL's got spoilers if you pay him wink

Oh yeah I seen someone at a carwash.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

It's all par for the course when it comes to fantasy novels

I'd prefer to wait for the next book If it means better writing ...  shit takes time ... grrm got into an unfortunate situation where the show became huge. But waiting years for the next is nothin...ever hear of THE WHEEL OF TIME series? If not u should read it. ..it's awesome. ..but was supposed to be trilogy. ..ended up being a dozen books and ep years before the end

Affc was a slog for me...shortest book yet took me the longest to read...partially due to the fact that I didn't care too much about the characters surrounding the plots in that book I guess

AtariLegend wrote:

The next book though is the big one. Their's supposed to more than a few character deaths.

The Winds of Winter was also originally supposed to be the final of the series. It's going to be a big 1000 + page book and the first story with all the characters since ASOW.

I expect alot of plot threads to be concluded.

Hidden Text:

Jon vs. Ramsay and the Others, Danny getting to Westros, Ceseri's trial by combat, the inevitable fall of the Lannisters, finding out who Jon's parents are, how does Lady Stoneheart actually tie into the story, will Brienne or Jamie survive the start of the book, who will sit on the throne at the end of this book, what's the next step of Littlefinger's master plan, what is Stannis's next move if he does defeat The Boltons, will Danny actually trust Tyrion considering Quiathe's prophecy about The Lion, what does the gravedigger (The Hound) actually do next, what's up with that pack of Wolfs in the Riverlands and what happens once Arya actually finishes her training?

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Affc and adwd were orig one book ... then split due to grrm being a slow ass ...lol

There will be another book after twow. .. maybe 2 ...as far as i know grrm always said 7 books

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Affc and adwd were orig one book ... then split due to grrm being a slow ass ...lol

There will be another book after twow. .. maybe 2 ...as far as i know grrm always said 7 books

It was originally a Trilogy.

A Game of Throne (Ending with the red wedding)
A Dance with Dragons
The Winds of Winter

Then expanded once he got into A Game of Thrones. Then he expanded how many books there'd be. It was eventually expanded to 7 a decade ago?

After The Winds of Winter, there's the final book A Dream of Spring (originally called A Time for Wolves)

Again in his defense, the books are 3-4 times longer than many other authors. I'd rather have The Winds of Winter in 1 big 1000 + page book than in several smaller volumes tbh.

Another trivia note from the outline he gave to publishers in the early 90's before he wrote the series about the love story

Hidden Text:

it was Jon/Arya/Tryion triangle with Jon and Tryion fighting for Arya. Jon and Arya torn, because their love is forbidden until a secret is revealed about Jon's true parenting in the final book.

That of course was changed when he actually started writing tongue.

One thing that was mention that still seems to be true from the original outline. The 5 principle characters of the story are mentioned as being

Hidden Text:

Jon, Arya, Tryion, Danny and Bran.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

Check out a wheel if time atari...similar size and scope...maybe not so dark. ..I love that series

Also memory sorrow and thorn by tad williams is prolly my favorite series

AtariLegend wrote:

Filming only finished less than 2 months ago, but I'm surprised the first proper trailer hasn't been released yet.

Some non spoiler photos released for next season http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/prod … s-season-6

Teaser trailer.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The potential for this show was and still is very great. Could have been a classic with proper producers behind the helm. As is they are too concerned with gratuitous nudity and violence to fully extract the dramatic potential.

Of course, I'll still be watching..

Board footer