You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: What GN'R members thought about CD

polluxlm wrote:

Was reading wikipedia and saw this:

Duff McKagan praised the album, saying that "Axl sounds amazing" and "I think Axl's finally made the record he always wanted to".

Slash reacted positively to the title track, stating "That sounds cool. It's good to hear Axl's voice again, y'know?" When the album was released, Slash responded by saying "It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl... It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is." In a later interview, Slash stated the album was "exactly what I thought it would sound like," with many synthesizers and digital augmentations.

Izzy Stradlin, soon after the album was released, said "I have listened to some tracks off the record and I enjoyed them" and "I like what I've heard."

Steven Adler said he "didn't like the album, not one bit."

Gilby Clarke stated "I think it's a really good record – I honestly do. I think it's a great record... Knowing what I know what direction he wanted to take the band, I think he hit the nail on the head; I think he did a great job"

Matt Sorum called the album a 'toe-tapper'.

Early Guns N' Roses guitarist Tracii Guns said he thought the album was "over-indulgent, sterile and not that exciting."

Duff and Slash are laying it on a little thick there. I wonder if statements like that to the press are what sowed the first seeds for this reunion. We know being badmouthed in the press was one of the things Axl resented Slash the most for. Later someone said the only way Slash would be forgiven was if he admitted what he had done in Axl's eyes and apologized for everything.

Now probably Slash didn't do exactly that and won't, but talking up Axl in the press could have been a strategy that has mellowed the relationship between them.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Nah mate, I think your reaching here. Slash n Duff never ever talked bad about Axl as an artist or performer, just personality and attitude traits he had. They even wrote books where they could have went to town on him, or so joe public thought, but they never, they went easy on him for the most part.
I really believe they liked hearing Axl singing again and like some songs, I dont believe they liked them all. But I just dont think they had such a bitter issue where they would take the issue to trash the guy willy nilly, especially when he finally gets out a record. Axl has always been the most angry, but Axl always been the most volatile and reactionary. Marc Canter has been saying it for years that it wouldnt take much to get them onside again, just simple dialogue. Even Marc saying that puts him in the shithouse from Axl.

Axl is just a nut who takes great offense from the slightest thing, but at the same time can be appeased by simple things. he's basically fuckin high maintenance and I'm not surprised he's ostracized so many people and surrounded himself with yes men, while real pals have fucked off tired of tiptoeing around him just to keep the peace.
I dont think they ever hated Axl, they just couldnt deal with him anymore on a professional level, and Axls so sensitive it made the whole estrangement into a bitter saga.
Slash and Duff and everyone else have been busy, building bands and making families, Axl been stuck in a rut, treading water, and making a slog out of the simplest of daily life. Its been a cop out for him to blame everyone of his former friends when the likely truth is, this dude cant see the forest for the trees, he just gets bogged down in the most trivial of shit.

As for Steven and Tracii, I can well believe they hated CD, for more reasons than just not liking the music. I think Gilby had the most honest of appraisals, he liked some, not others, but overall after such a long time making it, he felt it was disappointing.

johndivney wrote:

I appreciate that Sorum response.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

As for Tommy...

Most of the songs that are on the record now were done 10 fucking years ago. But all the talking heads in the mix were saying, “Make ’em sound better! Make ’em sound better!” So we kept redoing this and that.

And it ended up coming back down to the same fucking songs that they were 10 years ago, except that now they were a super-dense mishmash of a bunch of instrumentation.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Aye its the best GN'R documentary ever, its dominated with the pre AFD era then the AFD era, the UYI era is the last hurdle and its troubled, but nobodys the scapegoat. 10 mins left to deal with the post breakup shit, aye its good so far. I'm boozing watching and broke into tears a few times, the silly tabloid shit seems left to the last 10 minutes.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Amazing, I loved it, fucking loved it!!

No trashing, pretty equal but maybe shallow cause it never delved into each one's demons too much, but I think after all the slighted shite shite thatss been out for so long, this has been a really great, long over due hell bye gone tale of Guns N'Fuckin Roses...

It was awesome troops, majorly made up with early footage... thats the way it should be. I loved it, really did. They never shat on CD or VR, it was a mere footnote at the end, as should be. It ended with Sash's words that things had cooled with him and Slash.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Is it me or is asking Tracii Guns what he thinks of Chinese Democracy the dumbest thing of all time?

Fuck for that matter ask him what he thinks of AFD, Lies, UYI, TSI and Live Era.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You know i'm a huge slash fan as well as Axl so I don't mean to bash him - but I always get the impression he doesn't really like the album but is trying to be nice.

You know like "it is what it is" and "the perfect record for him....." then he goes on to focus on an easy positive like Axl has a great voice.

Still i guess realistically if Slash doesn't like synth and electronica what can he say - he's basically saying it's not what he likes but it's good at what it was supposed to be - which is nice I guess.

Just i've always felt these type of responses are the closest i've got to understanding why Axl's people always implied Slash had weasel words etc...as he's friendly about it..but you can tell it's semi-bullshit...then again...I guess if he trashed it that would be bad too - so what can the guy do....

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

Aye but he can like just hearing Axl maybe? I fuckin love electronic music, I grew up with it as much as I did GNR, it doesnt sound odd to me that its on CD, I dont even notice it. Axl drives that album.
I dont notice any synths on Paradise City, I thought it was all guitars, I grew up with AFD, its only when I joined the forums that I heard how synths on PC shouldnt be there...

Paradise City was the soundtrack of an incredible summer I had in the 80's, girls, swimming in the river, summer nights hanging out with the river and girls... for a tiny, minute moment of such an evocative track for folk to shit on it years later... I just cant relate, or hear! I cant hear what upsets you! The intro to PC is just magical... summer nights and youthful adventure... it always takes me right back.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

My big brother had a 60min tape that had paradise city on it over and over over. He didnt even have a copy of the actual single, he copied off the tv, he some how hooked up the tv or video recorder into his 2 cassette tape recorder/ghetto blaster and he played that damn tune relentlessly through 88/89/90, to the extent that I hated it, my parents hated it and my neighbors hated it.

Doesnt matter how much I hated it, this was the sound of Guns N''Roses, nobody gave a fuck about a synth sound buried somewhere in there, it was a fuckin rocking smash hit for the guitars and chorus. Its only been nerds in the 21st century I've every came across whining about it... and I still cant hear what they are bleating about!!

Board footer