You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hear no NIN. And Axl never said, let me go get a NIN guitarist to make my new band because l want to be just like Trent!


HP: You mention the idea of working with other musicians. If you had your choice, who would you really like to work with on a project?

AXL: Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails is one, and Dave Navarro from Jane’s Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I’ve talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I’ve always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=146

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 327 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hear no NIN. And Axl never said, let me go get a NIN guitarist to make my new band because l want to be just like Trent!


HP: You mention the idea of working with other musicians. If you had your choice, who would you really like to work with on a project?

AXL: Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails is one, and Dave Navarro from Jane’s Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I’ve talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I’ve always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=146

Monkey, did you just pwn ole Mr. ID?  Very interesting. 

This song easily could be on Chinese Democracy... Same style shit....

This song has a Madagascar feel to it

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hear no NIN. And Axl never said, let me go get a NIN guitarist to make my new band because l want to be just like Trent!


HP: You mention the idea of working with other musicians. If you had your choice, who would you really like to work with on a project?

AXL: Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails is one, and Dave Navarro from Jane’s Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I’ve talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I’ve always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=146

Everyone and their mother knows he was into NIN. Where did he say he wanted to BE Trent? OR make CD like NIN. that was weak monkey.

You provided two songs to prove your point he copied Trent, a tacked on experiental track and a throwaway soundtrack song that sounded nothing like NIN.

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I hear no NIN. And Axl never said, let me go get a NIN guitarist to make my new band because l want to be just like Trent!


HP: You mention the idea of working with other musicians. If you had your choice, who would you really like to work with on a project?

AXL: Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails is one, and Dave Navarro from Jane’s Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I’ve talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I’ve always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=146

Monkey, did you just pwn ole Mr. ID?  Very interesting. 

This song easily could be on Chinese Democracy... Same style shit....

This song has a Madagascar feel to it

No, just no to all of that. I mean, the amount of grasping at straws here....

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 327 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

HP: You mention the idea of working with other musicians. If you had your choice, who would you really like to work with on a project?

AXL: Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails is one, and Dave Navarro from Jane’s Addiction is another guy I want to work with. I’ve talked to Trent about working with me on an industrial synth project, at least on one song, and I definitely want to work with Dave on something. I’ve always been curious what he would sound like working with Slash on something.

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … icleid=146

Monkey, did you just pwn ole Mr. ID?  Very interesting. 

This song easily could be on Chinese Democracy... Same style shit....

This song has a Madagascar feel to it

No, just no to all of that. I mean, the amount of grasping at straws here....

You know, I love rustling your jimmies.... Let the rustle flow through you... lol.

good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png

misterID
 Rep: 456 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

misterID wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

What position Matt wanted him for is moot.

It's far from moot.

My point was that Robin does not have adequate guitar chops to pull of the position of lead guitarist in a largely guitar heavy band rock band such as Guns N' Roses. Not unless you are going to vastly change the style of the band to something more like Robin plays in NiN - but as you've just said Axl never successfully did that.

So he was left playing AFD. Where he was replacing Slash who has become a guitar god and basically THE player of his generation in the rock world. In terms of guitar skill Robin is flat out under-qualified for the position and it was to the detriment of the bands reputation that he clearly struggled to pull off the classic guitar parts.

Matt recommended him for RHYTHM guitarist - a position where he could play far simpler guitar lines that would have been well within his competency.

It means absolutely dick what Matt wanted.  Seriously. And no, he was not Slash, but he was more than adequate to play how he wanted. He has a lot of fans who liked what he did, so the debate on Robin is meaningless. This is like 2002 with this argument. Strange stuff.

And again, the whether or not Robin is a good guitar player had nothing to do with your argument which was this:

"Axl wanted whatever trent wanted as his whole plan was to turn GNR into NiN."

Which is ridiculous; Robin was Matt's idea, not Axl's. Missed point #1. Axl didn't bring him into the band because he was in NIN, even if Matt wanted him to play the tambourine. There was never, "ooh he played in NIN, that's what I want GNR to be." Missed point #2: Again, CD sounds NOTHING like a NIN album.

That's like a 1999 argument.

monkeychow
 Rep: 634 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

monkeychow wrote:

The point is if Matt was in charge of auditioning lead guitarists he would not have selected Robin because Robin is not a good enough player. Matt wanted Robin in as a rhythm player and Slash as the lead. The idea of bringing him in as a lead player instead was Axls. It's therefore silly to say that having Robin was Matt's idea - as he wanted him for an unrelated purpose.

It's really Axl's idea. Perhaps it was motivated by Robin's NiN pedigree, as the quote shows above, Axl wanted to work with trent and similar musicians with the aim of adding that kind of vibe to his own work. You can go though chinese whispers on the site and see many quotes about 'modernising' the GNR sound with the producers of tool and others. Or the quotes where Axl talks about making 3 albums and each being more progressive leading the audience away from classic GNR. Then again, maybe NiN wasn't part of it - maybe Axl's anger to slash made him look at a rhythm player and go "that guy is just as good as slash, hell, everyone is as good as slash". Who can say.

Anyway, I wasn't saying Robin has no talent. His parts of CD are reasonable, and he's good in NiN - but he simply doesn't have the quitar chops to play AFD/UYI songs in Slash's role.  Attempting to have him do so is one of the major reasons the 2000-2002 band lost respect with casual fans. He was a little better by 2006. If they had used someone like Richard or like Doug Aldrich who would play the songs faithfully with a rock image - although  not as "try hard" as DJ's it obviously would have gone down better.

Axl didn't - mostly because he clearly had an agenda to modernise the sound and the dream was to take GNR in a new direction, but it didn't work. The audience didn't accept it, the label didn't accept it, Axl soon lost his faith and most of the time since they've just played AFD. By the time they did drop the album it wasn't so modern after all. And they didn't even drop the stuff that's closer like silkworms. As for the live set - Each tour if gets a little closer to the way slash did it - until now they've given in and got slash back.

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

AtariLegend wrote:

Even though I like "The Perfect Drug" I believe Trent basically tried to disassociate the band from it. He hated it and it was never played live.

Not representative of NIN nevermind any version of GNR.

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

johndivney wrote:

And yes, Reznor, genius. Don't really give a shit if it makes you laugh or not.

If I was in better temper i'd laugh. Now it just depresses me a bit. The word genius gets thrown around so carelessly. Martin Rev & Alan Vega were maybe geniuses but I wouldn't say that for definite. I quite enjoy NiN & appreciate Reznor but let's not pretend he's some visionary breaking new ground. He's just building on what went before, with added layers of white america solipsism. If you genuinely feel Reznor is a genius, and all kidding aside here, well I dunno what to say without coming across as even more of a dick so I'll quit now.

James Lofton wrote:

ID is right. MTV, RS, Spin,etc. wanted to push new GNR of 2001-02 to the moon. They tried to initially by raving on the new material and bringing up the lineup.  They weren't allowed to. No album, the bizarre touring, silence, etc. screwed the pooch on that. Once 06-07 rolled around, even though Axl was ready to kick ass onstage the media in general had already lost interest.

Divney....they weren't mocking Bucket. The interest was real. At least it was here in the U.S.

Nah mate we must be reading & seeing things differently. That kurt loder spot mtv did on bucket is a prime example. Just a set up for a piss take. You can see it on his gormless grin the whole way thru the interview.
The hype & bullshit around the turn of the century wasn't to push the new GnR. It was to belittle them, & Axl. Yea they have the rolling stone puff piece (from '99?) but even it only served up ammunition to mock Axl. For the press it was like shooting fish in a barrel, Axl running around with a circus act in his band looking like some wigger, the press thought it was a freak show. They didn't care about what was (or as it turns out, wasn't) being produced musically. They didn't care that bucket had come thru primus & bootsy collins, they only cared about his appearance. They didn't care to unravel the history of the CD recordings, they just hammered the point about it costing 13million to make.

If anything the UK press, well specifically classic rock, were kinder. In the vain hope Axl would deign to give them an interview, or maybe just to sell copies.

otto
 Rep: 79 

Re: DJ ASHBA: 'It's Hard For Me To Play Other People's Songs'

otto wrote:

Sean Beavan, Chris Vrenna, Robin Finck, Chris Pitman, all The pro tools engineers.... But yeah... Axl did NOT want to be NIN.

Ok then.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB