You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

Since this is an extremely important decision/date - 23rd June coming up soon, I'd be curious to hear the thoughts of other Evo members (specifically those of us based in the UK.)

I just got my first letter today through the mail from LEAVE EU. The letter is woefully constructed and the only argument it really makes on the paper is basically to leave the EU to save your grocery bills. It says EU wasteful spending too, but it seems like something a college student on an internship would send out after being giving vague instructions.

There's a list of 10 short paragraphs on the back with very vague wording in relation to the argument. The most clear arguments they make.

i.e Reclaim our territorial fishing waters!
i.e We can vote our own corrupt politicians out, but can't vote out un-elected EU representatives (considering the rise of the SNP means the Torries will be in power for the foreseeable future this is a bit misleading)
i.e Protect our borders

Just to be clear, I'd vote to stay. However it looks like from the media coverage the LEAVE vote will win given it's been turned into an immigration debate. Terrorism in Brussels today won't help either.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

I  think I would vote in favor of a Brexit.

The terrorist attacks play a part in my way of thinking. That said, I think the problem here is one aspect of Europe, that is to say the Schengen area. I think Europe needs to reconsider how it works. I don't think it is possible to allow freedom of movement after what happened in Paris or in Brussels.  It's not only about the terror attacks. It is also about some criminals who could come to other European countries and murder children. I am thinking of those 2 cases:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article … e-say.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne … oland.html

I don't care about the nonsense in regards with fishing, fox hunting or other things. Those used to be an issue back in the 80s/90s. And it only applies to a small group of people, who are privileged or just a small group of professionals. What I care about is feeling safe. I don't feel safe in Europe anymore.

Oh and before I move on... Migrants have been an issue since the very beginning and I don't understand why because some guy moved the body of a child for the sake of taking a compelling picture it should be more of an issue now than it was 10 years ago. Calais has had camps for at least 15 years. Italy has had to cope with migrant boats for ages. A lot of young children have died in those shipwrecks on the way to Italy. Why is it an issue only today?? Why now and not right from the beginning? Why all those FB groups? Some people in this country don't want migrants but they join FB groups  and petition about the Calais camps??  10

AtariLegend wrote:

I'll post and make clear my views at a later point, just want to point out though that both those newspapers are right wing and definitely not unbiased. The mail is a tabloid almost as bad as The Sun prone to click-baiting, incendiary over exaggerated headlines. Though most of our media falls into some sort of camp.

The risk of terrorism won't be stopped just because we're not in the EU. It's been happening all over the world.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

Hope this is unbiased

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36706548

As for the other case, it's hard to find 'unbiased' articles written in English.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

I still want to believe that the UK can be part of Europe. But I am not sure it is possible. I am not sure Europe is still possible.

In regards with terrorism, Schengen is the problem. They need to sort this out, maybe drop the idea of Schengen entirely. I am not so stupid as to think that terrorism will stop if the UK leaves The EU.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Tbh i didnt even know this was happening

We kinda went thru this a couple times with Quebec wanting to separate from the rest of Canada

Without being fully aware of the intricacies, I personally think that EU would be stronger to stay together ... however Britain, bring presumably very wealthy country should be able to sustain...but what benifits would it lose from trade between other EU countries?

What benifits would be gained by separating?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Neemo wrote:

We kinda went thru this a couple times with Quebec wanting to separate from the rest of Canada

Without being fully aware of the intricacies, I personally think that EU would be stronger to stay together ... however Britain, bring presumably very wealthy country should be able to sustain...but what benifits would it lose from trade between other EU countries?

Sounds like the UK is taking a page out of the old US of A...

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Funding for farming and projects.. like employment schemes, charities, renovation of areas for example. I know people working youth employment organisations here that'll be out of the job if it's a leave vote.

Game of Thrones that gets filmed here in Northern Ireland get some EU funding as well. If the show wasn't likely to be filming the final season next year, it might be problematic for it being filmed here.

Human rights, freedom of information, data protection (things that our current government isn't fond of). Policies which are a little liberal, but at conflict with right wing governments. Essentially things you'd assume the media would be fine with, but wouldn't.

Leaving EU is also going to probably be a hit to GDP initially as well and have some bigger business pissing off to main land Europe ports assuming the EU survives UK getting out. That's not the worse case, the best case scenario is a hit with a not too lengthy recovery time. Personally though it wouldn't really high my priority list as a voter.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Is the referendum for the entire UK leaving (my assumption from ur previous posts)? Or Great Britain? Or just England?

If Northern Ireland splits along with the rest of the UK then what about the Republic of Ireland?

Sounds like a cluster fuck to me. 16 hmm

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

There is no England per se I think. The state is the UK. If Scotland or somebody wants to leave that would be a separate decision. Until then, where the UK go, they go.

Board footer