You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

AtariLegend wrote:

It's for the entire UK voting to stay or leave.

In theory it means Northern Ireland needs to put up borders with the Republic. Very few people are actually discussing it at the minute though and Northern Ireland is the smallest part of the UK.

Northern Ireland isn't going to be voting to leave the UK anytime soon. There's no desire for independence here and doesn't seem like it would be sustainable. Northern Ireland voting to join the Republic either for a united Ireland is unlikely to happen anytime soon either. Though that's a seperate argument and one best avoided tongue.

Scotland however is very pro-EU. It's very likely a LEAVE vote might force another Scotland referendum for Scotland to either remain/leave the UK and become it's own country. It'd likely be a different result next time. The government has not endeared itself well to Scotland. After the major vote a while back where Scotland voted to stay with the UK, Cameron the prime minster immediately made a speech about ENGLISH votes for ENGLISH laws. That might seem reasonable, but basically it was just a "fuck you" we're running the show now and your going to less of a say.

The Scotland referendum in 2014 also saw the rise of the SNP in Scotland, which means Labor is unlikely to win enough seats in an election anytime soon. So the Torries can't lose.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Scotland leaving the UK because they want to join the EU, now wouldn't that be hilarious. 14

I think the UK should leave. The sooner the EU falls apart, the better.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am scared of what life will be like in 15 years.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd be happier to leave if we had a different government. Problem is the only alternative to the Tories who represent everything I hate is Labour (who for better or worse are screwed due to the SNP), the supposed lefties who took the UK with the US to Iraq.

Ever seen V for Vendetta? That's my interpretation of what the UK looks like in a few generations with no one to balance out the right.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Northern Ireland voting to join the Republic either for a united Ireland is unlikely to happen anytime soon either. Though that's a seperate argument and one best avoided tongue.

I had to edit my post a couple times to make sure it read properly...but I think u got to read it before I was done modifying... I think ur statement that I quoted is prolly the understament of the century 16

It's kinda funny because the Scotland portion you posted very closely resembles the bloq quebequois ...for nearly 20 years the bloq was a major political party in canada even tho they were only supported in a single province and in 2011 was nearly disbanded due to lack of seats in the house...but they gained ground again this most previous election

Quebec tried to separate from canada via referendum in 1980 and 1995 and there was almost another in 2011

AtariLegend wrote:

There's one more major factor that could swing voting.

Euro 2016 is taking place during this referendum in France. If there's a terrorist attack during the nations favorite sport here, it'll swing voting all right. Alot of people are going to be traveling from all over Europe to France this summer, it could get scary if something happens.

pollux do you think you'll be singing Deutschland uber alles, on 21st June would you face the favorites?

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I'd be happier to leave if we had a different government. Problem is the only alternative to the Tories who represent everything I hate is Labour (who for better or worse are screwed due to the SNP), the supposed lefties who took the UK with the US to Iraq.

Ever seen V for Vendetta? That's my interpretation of what the UK looks like in a few generations with no one to balance out the right.

I hear that. If any of our present parties wanted out I'd be against it too. Any change by a party you don't like is likely to only give you something worse. EU should fail though, and if I was a citizen in an important nation like the UK I'd probably just have to hold my nose and do it.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

There's one more major factor that could swing voting.

Euro 2016 is taking place during this referendum in France. If there's a terrorist attack during the nations favorite sport here, it'll swing voting all right. Alot of people are going to be traveling from all over Europe to France this summer, it could get scary if something happens.

pollux do you think you'll be singing Deutschland uber alles, on 21st June would you face the favorites?

A terror attack on the EURO's would have massive consequences, not only for the UK but for all of Europe. These big sporting events have gone off without a hitch for a long time now, they've become a safe haven. If something happened there now, with all that's going on, the shock waves could be unprecedented.

Every other summer I go from 1/16th German to full kraut. I'd like nothing better than to smash France in the final. If we can smack England around a little bit on the way that would be fun too.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

You can have a warm up on Saturday

johndivney wrote:

I define myself as a European.
& I'm proud of it! We're the greatest race on earth!

Board footer