You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N' Roses: Coachella, April 16

AtariLegend wrote:

Alot of unpleasant reviews with digs taken at Axl from the usual crowds.

Guns N' Roses' Coachella Headlining Set Went Exactly as Expected
That is to say not well.

You didn't go to Coachella this weekend, because you prefer to save your time and money and watch the whole damn thing online anyway. So, good job, you smart person, who is not currently coming down from a bad trip or waking up in the middle of a field in California. You missed a newly-reunited Guns N' Roses give its big headlining performance. And it went just as poorly as expected!

Take a look at the above video. Axl Rose broke his foot recently and has been confined to a Dave Grohl-esque rock n' roll throne for live performances. So he's kind of just sitting there, wiggling around, kind of bouncing. It's awkward as hell. It's like watching someone's dad singing along to the classic rock radio station in the car. Axl's voice has been noticeably struggling in recent years, and he did his best last night, but it only makes things worse that he's sitting down and can't exactly project as he could standing. It's hard to watch, and it almost makes you wish he would have just had one of his classic Axl Rose stage meltdowns. But this Axl Rose today doesn't have any of that rockstar fire. No, the band started on time. He apologized from the stage about his foot: "Sorry, I can't do my thang." The Axl Rose your parents remember would have probably performed anyway and broken his other foot, or refused to play at all. Or played half a set, said fuck it, and ended the show early. He sure as hell wouldn't have apologized. How many millions did Guns N' Roses make for this show? How much more will they make in the subsequent tour? And this is what we get? Is this how we're supposed to remember Guns N' Roses now? This is sad.

In true Coachella fashion, the weekend also brought a few surprise appearances: AC/DC's guitarist Angus Young showed up to put some life in Guns N' Roses's set. Kanye West had a microphone malfunction during his surprise song with A$AP Rocky. Rihanna joined Calvin Harris on stage. And probably the best surprise appearance of the weekend, was Bernie Sanders' video introduction of Run the Jewels. Somehow, a 74-year-old senator from Vermont made for the most badass moment of a music festival.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mu … lla-video/

Coachella day two: Guns N’ Roses show appetite for destruction of own legacy
Much-hyped reunion show presented a band trying to rediscover the quality that gave them appeal in the first place, while Run the Jewels had much more fun

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/a … desert-sun

Here's another hack job;

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu … story.html

We've already discussed the DailyBeast one.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I am so glad I didn't go to Coachella.

WTTJ was good. Rocket Queen and NR were bad and Slash was off.

We are definitely hearing things differently. I thought Slash sounded great on NR. I even commented how he's improved the solos to where they're almost note for note now. Listen, I'm no expert, but that was my take.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

XM Sirius is playing Coachella highlights now. Channel 18.

They're doing that for the entire festival. However, I heard them talk about and play GNR, and they played the same 2 songs that were streamed. Not only that, but they cut out the last few minutes of NR. Why bother? Would it kill you to play those last few minutes? You have two weeks to play these performances. No need for a radio edit.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

"Somehow, a 74-year-old senator from Vermont made for the most badass moment of a music festival."

lol gtfo... "great" review indeed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Alot of unpleasant reviews with digs taken at Axl from the usual crowds.

Guns N' Roses' Coachella Headlining Set Went Exactly as Expected
That is to say not well.

You didn't go to Coachella this weekend, because you prefer to save your time and money and watch the whole damn thing online anyway. So, good job, you smart person, who is not currently coming down from a bad trip or waking up in the middle of a field in California. You missed a newly-reunited Guns N' Roses give its big headlining performance. And it went just as poorly as expected!

Take a look at the above video. Axl Rose broke his foot recently and has been confined to a Dave Grohl-esque rock n' roll throne for live performances. So he's kind of just sitting there, wiggling around, kind of bouncing. It's awkward as hell. It's like watching someone's dad singing along to the classic rock radio station in the car. Axl's voice has been noticeably struggling in recent years, and he did his best last night, but it only makes things worse that he's sitting down and can't exactly project as he could standing. It's hard to watch, and it almost makes you wish he would have just had one of his classic Axl Rose stage meltdowns. But this Axl Rose today doesn't have any of that rockstar fire. No, the band started on time. He apologized from the stage about his foot: "Sorry, I can't do my thang." The Axl Rose your parents remember would have probably performed anyway and broken his other foot, or refused to play at all. Or played half a set, said fuck it, and ended the show early. He sure as hell wouldn't have apologized. How many millions did Guns N' Roses make for this show? How much more will they make in the subsequent tour? And this is what we get? Is this how we're supposed to remember Guns N' Roses now? This is sad.

In true Coachella fashion, the weekend also brought a few surprise appearances: AC/DC's guitarist Angus Young showed up to put some life in Guns N' Roses's set. Kanye West had a microphone malfunction during his surprise song with A$AP Rocky. Rihanna joined Calvin Harris on stage. And probably the best surprise appearance of the weekend, was Bernie Sanders' video introduction of Run the Jewels. Somehow, a 74-year-old senator from Vermont made for the most badass moment of a music festival.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment/mu … lla-video/

Coachella day two: Guns N’ Roses show appetite for destruction of own legacy
Much-hyped reunion show presented a band trying to rediscover the quality that gave them appeal in the first place, while Run the Jewels had much more fun

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/a … desert-sun

Here's another hack job;

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu … story.html

We've already discussed the DailyBeast one.

So let me get this straight. The Rolling Stones were once a dangerous rock band and have been corporate sellouts for decades. Media gives them a total pass even when the two main guys can barely perform their duties (Is Mick talking through the song still considered actual singing? Is Keith's guitar even plugged in?). I guess Guns just isn't old enough to receive that kind of a pass. But Axl sort of made this bed with all of the negative publicity through the decades. Fucker can't catch a break. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. They rip him to shreds no matter what he does. Oh well, he is laughing all the way to the bank regardless of what the media pundits have to say about it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yes, he now sucks because he goes on stage on time and doesn't storm off stage and rant.

Hipster bullshit.

And the ageism is way hypocritical.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

What a bunch of hogwash. Seriously.

People get paid to write stuff like this?

Better not start on time, Axl! Better not treat the audience with common courtesy, Axl!

Better have a meltdown, Axl! Better start a riot, Axl!

Fuck off.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

The dilemma of Axl Rose. I think Axilin16 said he's the heel of the music industry.

He's with Slash and he's behaving, playing all the big songs and doing it solid.
That pretty much covers well over 90% of his audience's demands.

As for the Rock Star thing...

In '10, they had a whole mesh of incidents in Reading/Leeds.
In '11, Axl showed for a tour laughably ill-prepared.
In '12, Axl injured his foot by dancing on a table in Russia.
In '13, Axl's movement was still compromised - and it showed.

Now, it's a completely different story. The Troubadour show presented an eager and motivated Axl, with a sound voice. He's putting it all out on his vocal performance on the Iron Throne shows.

And now people are after the antics the hardcores have lived through in the past years? Sheesh.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Everyone says their kid is so smart. Like they are human, they are not a dog. "Omg, Betty Sue found the remote control, she is so smart"!!!

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

I agree 100% on the fact that Axl is pretty much relegated to being a heel to the common idiot/hater and those who hold grudges. Over the years of defending Axl, not as a person, but as an artist and what he's brought to the table, I've finally given up and just said fuck it. The people who dis him, say he can't sing or he's fat or say Chinese Democracy was a bad record, they can all lick my balls. If you go to the show and see whichever GNR perform, you're gonna get a hell of a show in one way or another.

The internet really hasn't been kind to Axl, either. Everyone online seems to just want to run anyone down. Not to be critical, yet positive, but just to hurt celebrities in general. Remember the "fat Axl" pic? I mean even if he actually was fat, I don't know what that has to do with anything. Chinese Democracy comes out and people dis it without even listening. These weasels aren't out to be productive or truthful in any way. They're parasitic trolls thriving for attention. And the worse part is, social media mockery and clickbait sites (like that idiot comment above about how the old Axl would just break his other foot for no reason, that has to be clickbait) are becoming even more prominent in spewing just stupid rhetoric that is not only in poor taste, but absolutely irrelevant. Do you love your mom less because she gained 50 pounds when she hit 45? I don't get it.

I was talking with a new friend about GNR, he's of course into the goof death metal bullshit and terrible movies, and he said how GNR was hair metal and bubble gum pop. Well, I don't really know how to argue with a statement so ridiculous. I'm not into NIN, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, etc, all these bands so many people here adore. Their lyrics just don't interest me. I'm not gonna sit here and tell anyone that they are terrible just because I don't get them, personally.

You can either go about things like an adult, or you can do it like an idiot. People like me will read comments about GNR being terrible at Coachella and know you're an idiot. The people who listen to them are also likely idiots. So you just pass over their words like you'd avoid dog shit on the sidewalk.

Board footer