You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Axl Rose vs. Bruce Dickinson: who's the best?

polluxlm wrote:

Axl Rose is the best rock singer to ever take a stage. Power, rasp and emotion all in one. Blessed with talent and utilizing it to the max. Nobody else even comes close to that package. With these latest gigs he shows he can keep it going into old age as well.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

Axl Rose is the best rock singer to ever take a stage. Power, rasp and emotion all in one. Blessed with talent and utilizing it to the max. Nobody else even comes close to that package. With these latest gigs he shows he can keep it going into old age as well.

Nah, Freddie Mercury is unquestionably the greatest. Axl's up there though.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Freddie had great control and power, and in that department he might inch out Mr. Rose.

But he's nowhere near Axl in versatility and sound. Could Freddie do Welcome to the Jungle? No, but Axl could do all of Queen's songs and make it sound great.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

Freddie had great control and power, and in that department he might inch out Mr. Rose.

But he's nowhere near Axl in versatility and sound. Could Freddie do Welcome to the Jungle? No, but Axl could do all of Queen's songs and make it sound great.

He really couldn't, you know.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Nah, Freddie Mercury is unquestionably the greatest. Axl's up there though.

Roy Orbison was better than both of them.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

He really couldn't, you know.

I think Axl could own that song as well as he does other covers. He obviously wouldn't match Freddie's tailored strengths, but he could do the song. I don't see Mercury or most other singers doing a credible Jungle or YCBM. We're not just talking about sheer vocal ability here.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I've only heard one GN'R tribute band singer who did a great job on Axl's vocals. He was in a band called UK Guns N' Roses for a long time and he was amazing. I remember one performance of Rocket Queen where I swear to God it sounded just like Axl. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it in recent years. But this guy would occasionally get a bit too nasally and you would be able to tell in those moments it wasn't Axl. Sweet Child in particular it would be more noticeable than other songs.

There is also the Mexican Juan guy who does a pretty incredible version of Axl, though he does them in a studio and not dressed to the nines like Illusion era Axl (as the UK GN'R was) dancing on a stage in front of a crowd. That's what was so impressive about the UK GN'R dude. He nailed the vocals while also going 100% for Axl's stage antics. Not easy to sing like that while moving around.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl Rose is the best rock singer to ever take a stage.

He's really not, if anything he's terribly inconsistent live. Compared to guys like Maynard James Keenan, Robert Plant, Chris Cornell, ... or even more modern guys like M. Shadows, Corey Taylor, etc... who consistently bring live (and raw, powerful) rock vocals that match the records almost note for note...

I absolutely love Axl's voice, but let's not be blind for his weaknesses now...

*edit* I was trying to remember which classic song it was that he croaked through back in the day, and I found it:

This, on the other hand, is pure gold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN94_bL3hUI

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
TheMole wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Axl Rose is the best rock singer to ever take a stage.

He's really not, if anything he's terribly inconsistent live. Compared to guys like Maynard James Keenan, Robert Plant, Chris Cornell, ... or even more modern guys like M. Shadows, Corey Taylor, etc... who consistently bring live (and raw, powerful) rock vocals that match the records almost note for note...

I absolutely love Axl's voice, but let's not be blind for his weaknesses now...

Except for the part where he moves around on stage a lot more than others. He could have stood there like a statue and pretty much nailed every song perfectly if he wanted back in the day. That said, there is some bone-chilling stuff from him in the earliest GN'R bootlegs on YouTube (Don't Cry in particular).

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:

Except for the part where he moves around on stage a lot more than others. He could have stood there like a statue and pretty much nailed every song perfectly if he wanted back in the day. That said, there is some bone-chilling stuff from him in the earliest GN'R bootlegs on YouTube (Don't Cry in particular).

The running-around-like-a-madman doesn't necessarily elevate the performance for me, but that's personal, I guess smile. But check out that Come Together video I posted above, he's standing completely still there. Sure, his voice was shot at the end of that tour, but that's my entire point: inconsistent.

Board footer