You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

monkeychow wrote:

Personally I've been working out how I could possibly go see this it sounds so awesome.

That said, I understand why some hardcore fans of Ac/Dc feel it's not the same band - it comes at a bad time as Rock or Bust already had some compromises.  If we rewind six years to the previous tour you were seeing Brian, Angus, Malcom, Phil, and Cliff. Now it is Axl, Angus, Stevie, Chris and Cliff. It's pretty different for those who wanted to see a traditional line up.

That said - even if it's a changed Ac/Dc - to me there's no doubt that it will be great as it's own entity.

Slash McKagan
 Rep: 11 

According to De Standaard, approximately 7,000 AC/DC fans who bought tickets to see the band perform on May 16 at Werchter Festivalpark in Werchter, Belgium have requested to get their money back because they don't want to watch Axl Rose on lead vocals. Live Nation, which is producing the show, said that the disappointed fans had until Monday night (May 2) to claim a refund. The newly released seats were then first made available to those people who were previously on the waiting list for the event, with the remaining 6,000 tickets once again going on sale to the general public.

The show is one of twelve European dates AC/DC will perform with the GUNS N' ROSES frontman on lead vocals after Brian Johnson was ordered to stop touring or risk going deaf.

A similar refund offer has been made available on some of the other dates on AC/DC's European tour, which kicks off on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal and runs through June 12 in Aarhus, Denmark. Following that, Rose will head out on his previously announced summer reunion tour with GUNS N' ROSES. AC/DC's ten postponed U.S. dates will take place later in the year, also with Rose as frontman, and the refund policy on those shows has not been revealed.

According to Billboard, Rose met with the members of AC/DC twice in March, in Miami and Atlanta, about doing the shows. Singers from AC/DC tribute acts were also auditioned, and at one point there was talk of having other vocalists alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Fan reaction to Rose replacing Johnson — even temporarily — has been largely negative. The fan site AC/DC Italia announced it was shutting down in protest, while AC/DC biographer Jesse Fink called it "the worst decision AC/DC has ever made. Fans are pretty disgusted... AC/DC is all about the money now."

AC/DC guitarist Angus Young made a guest appearance with GUNS N' ROSES at the Coachella festival in California last month, to tie in with the official confirmation of Rose's involvement.

Classic Rock magazine recently posted a story on its web site as to why Axl Rose is the "worst idea" to replace Johnson in AC/DC. Its sister publication, Metal Hammer, has since countered with why it is a "brilliant idea," and here are some of their reasons:

1) "Various singers from bands ranging from KROKUS to THE HIVES have thrown their hat in the ring, but all along, there was only one viable direction, and that was pulling in a high-profile singer who knows the material, who has the range and who's got the time."

2) "Anybody who's watched GUNS N' ROSES' version of 'Whole Lotta Rosie' on YouTube must grudgingly admit that he riotously delivers the punch and snarl of the original. There is no debate that Axl has the style and the range to handle the band's current set list."

3) "Say what you will about Axl, but he's possessed of high intelligence and his own keen survival instinct; he acutely understands that before him lies a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to elevate his stature among his fans and peers and to carve his name on the wall of the AC/DC legacy for all time. No way will Axl blow this..."

4) "Finally, think about the ticket holders. If you had a ticket to one of these shows and word comes down that the band have hired the guy from KROKUS to front them, are you going to go? But put Axl Rose and now you've got something to see."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/7000-b … j20SpZp.99

AtariLegend wrote:

I seen on one of the videos, someone complaining about the drummer tongue.

That said, the comments from people saying "they should have got the tribute band singer" have obviously never listened to the tribute band singer.

Some of them wanted him over Axl. Ouch.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

You can hear his ear to ear grin when he sings "I'm back". 9

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

That said, the comments from people saying "they should have got the tribute band singer" have obviously never listened to the tribute band singer.

He sounds pretty good!

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

In fairness, they're probably expecting this guy:

Not this guy:

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Sounds good. It's going to be interesting to see how Axl responds to the material live. It's one of his favourite bands and he's doing the replacement singer deal for the second time in his career - if we include the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. It's the equivalent of joining Guns to replace someone else - the songs are there and you need to step up to the plate to keep the machine going. Should be insightful to him in many ways.

Having said that, the dude's insane lucky, when it all comes down to it. People were glooming and dooming after the '02 tour cancellation and here he is, nigh 15 years down the line, doing on a sideshow with AC/DC, the biggest rock act out there, having revved up his own wheels with Slash.

What can you say?

Back in black I hit the sack
I been too long I'm glad to be back
Yes I am
Let loose from the noose
That's kept me hanging about
I keep looking at the sky cause it's gettin' me high
Forget the hearse cause I'll never die
I got nine lives cat's eyes
Using every one of them and runnin' wild
Cause I'm back

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Yeah the real drummer is under house arrest in NZ unfortunately.

Now if Matt was in the lockup it would be one thing wink

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Axl sounds sooo good on Hells Bells. Even with that shitty recording it's the best version I've ever heard.

AtariLegend wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Yeah the real drummer is under house arrest in NZ unfortunately.

Now if Matt was in the lockup it would be one thing wink

Except Chris Slade is the drummer who recorded Thunderstruck on the album wink.

Board footer