You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Axl Rose joins AC/DC

monkeychow wrote:

It's probably just voice fatigue, I mean he's basically screaming the set and it sounds awesome - but how many nights in close succession and you scream out 2 hours of songs without feeling it a bit. Even with training you're going to need a break sometimes.

I always think covers are worse for this kind of thing too - cos you arn't even doing what comes naturally - you are doing what came natural to someone else.

Hopefully he returns to form soon though.

All the good shows earlier made me realise how badly they need to record with him while he can still scream! The tone of Axl's voice is just amazing.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

We would need soundboards to really tell. I can hear the fatigue, but there's also the factor of using a so-so smartphone in the middle of a crowd to record the front-of-house. At best, the representation is fair - but I've looked at videos of the same show, same song and thought to myself, Axl sounds completely different in between them. One vid had the fatigue and the other, more distorted, amplified the sour growls in his voice and made it sound worse than it actually was. Hence, we should always be looking for a median through separate recordings, separate shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz3RzrMREFM

He sounded fine to me Hamburg.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

First verse is way more spoken/mickey here than in the first couple of shows where he yelled it.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Yup, that first verse is harsh. Less so here, as I find his voice 'fuller' in this recording.

But the high part ('I'm gonna catch ya') is still grating - breaking out the Mickey.

RAGE24
 Rep: 4 

RAGE24 wrote:

I too, have been paying very close attention to Axl's vocals throughout these shows.  I think it's common sense that it all boils down to needing more rest in between gigs, and that is just not a luxury afforded to Axl with AC/DC's schedule.  I am sure he is doing all the things he has learned to do to rest, recover and "heal" while on a two or three day break.  He has sounded absolutely amazing 99.9% of these shows.  It really has just been over the past two, maybe three shows that one can notice some strain and/or vocal changes on certain songs at certain parts.  Especially on the Back in Black songs like Hells Bells or Shoot to Thrill.  Not so much with the Bon Scott era tunes, if any at all.  They actually allow him a break.  Hopefully he is not doing any damage to himself, as that would clearly suck for the upcoming Guns tour.  He does seem to fall back on the "mickey" way of singing whenever he is feeling strained.  He is actually quite lucky he has that option.  Brian Johnson did not! He would simply sing down an octave.

AtariLegend wrote:

He should be taking breaks in between every several tracks. What do you expect? Even in the UYI era they didn't play 20 odd tracks back to back.

Oh... and since they added that show for the 15th he has even less time to rest up/prep for the Guns tour. The results might not be good.

You can argue that he doesn't need to be, but you're not really thinking it through then. Playing a few shows over the course of a month is different to your first proper stadium tour in front of big crowds with few breaks in-between in a long time. What if Slash ect. want to change it up, or they want to rehearse to fix the tempo issue or play different tracks?

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl needs to abort this AC/DC mission. Fuck. He has a fucking band that NEEDS HIM ALL IN. AC/DC was cute but time to move on now..

More respect to Brian Johnson for doing this for decades.

skippy
 Rep: 33 

skippy wrote:

How many more shows does he have with ac/dc?

he is going to get crucified in the USA if he sounds like with ac/dc and guns.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

skippy wrote:

How many more shows does he have with ac/dc?

he is going to get crucified in the USA if he sounds like with ac/dc and guns.

Disagree, AT the moment. He sounded killer the first few shows and now he's doing a good job but struggling with the higher tougher bits. A shame but forgiveable.

I would argue a GNR set is easier on his voice due to the very varied pacings and ranges to the songs. Not to mention the more frequent breaks during the show.

However if he wants to continue the AC/DC thing beyond this summer then they're going to need to rethink either touring schedule, set list or both.

Personally I'm hoping this AC/DC thing gets knocked on the head after the summer. Fun as a novelty but long term I don't think it's in anyones best interests.

Mama's Good Boy
 Rep: 25 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axl needs to abort this AC/DC mission. Fuck. He has a fucking band that NEEDS HIM ALL IN. AC/DC was cute but time to move on now..

More respect to Brian Johnson for doing this for decades.

Really tho, GNR is his band and I'm not sure he's ever been 'all in'.

Most fans have always said all they ever wanted was Axl and Slash to share the stage again.   Well.. its happened.    Anything that happens from now on is a bonus.

Board footer