You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

Yamcha wrote:
johndivney wrote:

“The younger generation has lost the right to live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debts of its predecessors.”

I haven't lost this right. big_smile

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Yamcha wrote:

@atarilegend

I saw this in a paper today and thought of you

IMG_3846_zpsdbimrjxs.jpg

AtariLegend wrote:

This is picking up steam, keep in mind that the site was in maintenance for alot of today. https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215 Nothing will come of it, but their should be a debate about this.

I just keep looking at leave leavflet here that was put through my door. With the words FACTS printed everywhere.

The idea that they're trying to put it in people's heads that Iraq/Syria are about to join the EU.

That £350 Million Figure, let's fund the NHS instead.

That a number equivalent to the population of Northern Ireland immigrate here every 6 years... (a relative today was happy, because she thinks there's no more immigration)

That the EU prevents the government from funding Northern Ireland farmers...

This is just inflammatory nonsense/exaggeration that people were willing to believe. Even after the people who made the claims were called out repeatedly as being full of shit.

AtariLegend wrote:

What's been the reaction of our EU forum members in different countries?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Well from a Canadian pov there was lots of discussions at work, tv & radio today

Lots of concern over economic implications with canada's ties to england/UK based on immediate stockmarket reaction to the "leave" vote

Lots of talk on whether northern Ireland and Scotland will try to separate from UK and try to rejoin Europe

General media excitement about Cameron

It's all uneducated rhetoric tho from what I'm seeing/hearing/reading

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Well from a Canadian pov there was lots of discussions at work, tv & radio today

Lots of concern over economic implications with canada's ties to england/UK based on immediate stockmarket reaction to the "leave" vote

Lots of talk on whether northern Ireland and Scotland will try to separate from UK and try to rejoin Europe

General media excitement about Cameron

It's all uneducated rhetoric tho from what I'm seeing/hearing/reading

You know our media was campaigning to leave the EU to change to either a Australian or a Canadian style system.

You know, cause Toronto has no immigration? Everyone is white and only speaks English right?

It's a fucking charade.

Scotland will probably have another referendum (verging on certainty).

Northern Ireland though nope. Too much of our parents generation (the kind that grew up bombing each other and hating based upon religion). No chance of a referendum here (for a united Ireland), too much risk.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yeah Canada is just a bunch of Caucasians drinking coffee and saying sorry to each other 16

You will have to give up football and start watching ice hockey tho

On a serious note...we won't know the full implications of this vote until a couple years after the formal split happens

As for the older generation making decisions for the younger...happens here too...young folk are too cool to vote but happily bitch when shit goes south...our current prime minister / election was the first in a while when younger generation made a big difference in the polls

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

Speaking from someone in Canada as well, I pretty much am hearing the same stuff. I did get a kick out of them talking about taking a Canadian approach to things. I live in the asshole of Canada, where the xenophobes are a dime a dozen and the people who voted leave to bring our system in isn't going to leave them too happy because I'm assuming they're the same type of idiots I have to listen to all day bitch about foreigners.

In my limited reading about the immigration situation, was the UK becoming really taxed financially because of EU people going and living there? Would they not pay UK taxes while they lived there to offset whatever expenses they may have caused for hospitals, programs, etc?

More likely (if the case is similar to where I live in the asshole of Canada), leaders are fucking up with the money and neglecting hospitals and whatnot in favor of beefing up huge corporations who don't pay their taxes. And the common doofus just sits around saying "deyyy turrk errr derrbbs" without never actually having experienced it.

AtariLegend wrote:
Brett wrote:

In my limited reading about the immigration situation, was the UK becoming really taxed financially because of EU people going and living there? Would they not pay UK taxes while they lived there to offset whatever expenses they may have caused for hospitals, programs, etc?

It was suggested we paid £350 million each week to the EU (Obviously not an exact number and it excludes the rebate, and the fact that almost half that money is spent on projects in the UK such as agriculture, cultural, infrastructure in impoverished areas, various things you'd never think off... that our own government couldn't care less about) that could be better of spent on the NHS, to build a new hospitals each week (ignoring issues with their not being enough doctors and 10% of them being EU nationals anyway).

It was a campaign fought on perception and fears. The perception won (despite those wanting to leave getting call out repeatedly on their nonsense and frequent back tracking).

They also kept going on about Turkey joining the EU any day now and suggesting that Iraq/Syria would be joining soon after (with leaflets through everyone's doors).

Immigration though according to government put in more than they took out. It was never really emphasized that people could immigrate the other way to Spain, France, Germany ect.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

From where I am, the United States, I only know what the news tells me. The BBC is devastated. Fox is indifferent. MSNBC is kind of sad. They all fear since this happened in the UK that it means Trump has a real shot to win the general election.

Board footer