You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: EURO 2016 Thread

johndivney wrote:

Hard to begrudge Portugal as a country, long overdue really they're a great football nation.
What an unlikable team they've done it with, bunch of wankers!

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Portugal played for penalties once Ronaldo left. Can't blame them, their main attacking threat was off the pitch. France didn't do enough in the end, I'd say Portugal were the better side in extra time. Settled by a cracking goal from a Swansea reject.

AtariLegend wrote:

Credit to the BBC.

Those closing credits/video package made it look like it was a great tournament that we'll never forget.

AtariLegend wrote:

Well Ronaldo had a better year than Messi, that's for sure.

This will be an interesting chapter in the debate in years to come.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

If Portugal win, just remember Shearer ect. saying how England would beat them if they end up facing them in the last 16.

I think on paper we would. Englands starting 11 is stronger overall than Portugals imo. Unfortunately we go to pieces in competetive tournaments so saying what England 'would' do is always difficult. I do maintain player by player we have a better possible side but so did about 7 other nations at this Euros.

Okay I'm going to question that unfortunately.

Ronaldo>Vardy
Pepe>Cahill
Joao Moutinho>Milner
Renato>based upon this tournament was better than every English player including Sterling

I'm definitely not a Nani fan, but let's be honest is he these days much worse than Rooney?

The rest is all debatable, but I personally don't think it's that much stronger. Although the English players in this squad were certainly better paid.

I just don't think it's that clear cut.

Ronaldo is a given of course but for me he's the only clear cut one in Portugals favour.

I'll give you Pepe over Cahill but I wouldn't pick Cahill anyway, he's hopeless without Terry holding his hand. Pepe is a walking red card however.

Why is Milner in there? He's a utility sub, Moutinho is their starting central midfielder. Moutinho or Alli would be fairer and I'd pick Alli tbh.

Portugal have just proved however that games aren't won on paper. Whilst in fantasy football land I would back the England side against Portugal they have a long way to go to match the togetherness, teamwork and spirit required to win a tournament.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

How this tournament progressed it was the perfect ending. In a way it was all set up for Portugal. Got the easiest draw possible, the big guns all got knocked out on the other side, and then they took their chances when it mattered despite losing their best player early. Well deserved Portugal. This is the title the country has been waiting for since Eusebio.

As a Germany fan the match against Italy was one of the most thrilling I've seen. In conclusion it's not the best EURO, but not the worst either. Decent I guess.

Board footer