You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: 2016 Presidential Election Thread

Smoking Guns wrote:

This guys nails it. Black man calling it like he sees it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheAlexJonesCh … 439903302/

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Alex Jones, the same guy that denies the Sandy Hook shootings were real? Yeah anything on his page is surely a solid source for whatever point you're attempting to make.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Alex Jones, the same guy that denies the Sandy Hook shootings were real? Yeah anything on his page is surely a solid source for whatever point you're attempting to make.

Don't know about Alex Jones. Should we dismiss this man's message about the breakdown of the family?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is even if it is "cultural" amongst the african american community, that culture didn't arise in a vacuum, it didn't evolve with no relationship to the generations of poverty, inequality, incarceration-heavy, gun-heavy, corporation-favouring, social structure that is modern America.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I grew up poor with parents that were together on again/off again and I haven't killed anyone.  People need to stop making excuses.  It's a choice.  It's easier than doing the right thing.  We coddled them for so long and gave them stuff for nothing...what did we think was going to happen?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Don't know about Alex Jones. Should we dismiss this man's message about the breakdown of the family?

Alex Jones is an insane fuckwad, one of the more disturbing characters on the extreme right in the US, and I do believe most conservatives would agree with that. More importantly, this whole 'breakdown of the family' narrative is inane bullshit. There's absolutely nothing that is specific to a family as it is usually defined that makes people good, nor is there anything about the absence of a 'normal family' that turns people inherently bad. Kids need to be taught values, the difference between right and wrong, but that's just as likely to happen in a single-parent household, a same-sex household, or a mormon-style polygamous household.

I have grown up in a broken home, and have zero relationship with anyone in my family except for my mom, sister and dad (in that order). I haven't seen my grand parents, nephews, nieces, aunts, uncles, ... in close to two decades and frankly couldn't care less. Some would say I turned out fine, and that's 'cause my parents - each in their own way - taught me how to be a productive member of society, because they raised me right. It's because I went to a good school, and had good friends growing up.

Family values... what a meaningless, hollow phrase...

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I grew up poor with parents that were together on again/off again and I haven't killed anyone.  People need to stop making excuses.  It's a choice.  It's easier than doing the right thing.  We coddled them for so long and gave them stuff for nothing...what did we think was going to happen?

Good for you, and I don't mean that sarcastically. But not everyone has your faculties, and it's indisputable that your upbringing/social status growing up determine the kind of person you end up being. Hell, case in point, you've grown up in less then ideal circumstance, and you've grown up to be quite jaded about society smile.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Yes but that is YOU and your personal experience. If you grow up in the ghetto, with and environment of ignorance, violence, drugs, and a family breakdown 24/7...who raises you? How will you value others? How do you value education? How do you value your health? The law? What would the odds be of breaking free from that, when that is all you know? I'd say it's pretty unlikely.

Nobody is saying they aren't responsible for their actions, but it's clear there is a cycle of poverty/violence/crime etc that is nearly impossible to break. I had a professor who grew up in the ghetto. He was the exception not the rule. The outlier. Most of his childhood male friends were in prison or dead.

I can also think of two families off the top of my head. Both had parents in a long term stable relationship. Very loving families. Very active parents. Both in safe communities. Six kids total, all of whom are excelling. All of them grew up to be great young adults. My wife and I admire both pairs of parents for what an amazing job they did with those kids. Environment is everything.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Right, I made the choice not to be a fuckhead.  I didn't grow up in the hood so to speak, but I didn't grow up in Beverly Hills either.  We were poor.  We were on food stamps and free lunches at school.  My family wasn't educated.  I had people I knew into all kind of bad things including gangs and drugs.  I chose not to go that route, though I easily could have.  It's personal choices that people make.  I'm so sick of the excuses for them.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I love when white people try to talk about how hard it is to be black then shame other white people that came from nothing and made it.

Board footer