You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Official band pic

esoterica wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

She's useless up there. I see her dancing around flopping her stupid blue hair playing keyboard parts I can't hear, for songs that don't need keyboards.

Yep, I'm not a fan of hers

But she's a GIRL. Aren't you supposed to like her by default. 14

She's the 2016 version of Tracy & Roberta. Nice eye candy (if you're into skinny J-pop looking chicks), but completely pointless and unnecessary up there:

I liked Tracy & Roberta's backing vocals (the concept is similar to The Stones, Van Morrison, and a lot of big rock bands).

I'm Switzerland on Melissa so far but I think the fawning over her has been particularly embarrassing. Pitman was important 2001-2002 and in the studio so I don't have anything against him although maybe it was good for him to get his personal life in order.

johndivney wrote:

In fairness to pitman (& bucket,) mother goose is a great nickname. The best we've got for Melissa is the troll doll pic monkey posted, which is great but doesn't work when you're talking about her. I agree tho wag re the fawning but hey different strokes.. wink

But what's this about pitman getting his life in order? As far as I saw he acted like a little bitch & got fucked like one..?? I've plenty against him. He's a fuckin tosser as far as the evidence I've seen goes.. Maybe it was good for everyone cause of the negative vibes he gave off. Shows how much Yoda knew giving that guy a pass..

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Outside of the two shows I caught in 2011 and 2012, I basically didn't follow GN'R after Robin left 2008-2014, so I guess I don't know all the dirt about Pitman acting like a jerk.

I get how people being assholes can overshadow their work and if people want to dismiss him on that, that's fair, but I mostly care about people's artistic / musical contributions the most.

So in that spirit, I liked what Pitman brought to GN'R (especially before it got all hacked up on the finished album) and I think that the Lusk record is a good piece of art.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I love Melissa's harmonies, like the vibe.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

She's useless up there. I see her dancing around flopping her stupid blue hair playing keyboard parts I can't hear, for songs that don't need keyboards.

Yep, I'm not a fan of hers

But she's a GIRL. Aren't you supposed to like her by default. 14

She's the 2016 version of Tracy & Roberta. Nice eye candy (if you're into skinny J-pop looking chicks), but completely pointless and unnecessary up there

Every time I see her in anything to do with this line ups successful run, it just pisses me off 10

I like her backing vocals myself. She's become more noticeable and prominent to my ears with each show.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think some have drawn a line in the sand and fail to see the need for anyone outside of the AFD 5. They've learned to accept Dizzy and they may be willing to accept Richard and Frank to a lesser extent. But the 2nd keyboardist role really seems to rub people the wrong way. So I don't think it really has anything to do with her personally. It seems to me that anyone in that role won't be accepted by a segment of fans.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think some have drawn a line in the sand and fail to see the need for anyone outside of the AFD 5. They've learned to accept Dizzy and they may be willing to accept Richard and Frank to a lesser extent. But the 2nd keyboardist role really seems to rub people the wrong way. So I don't think it really has anything to do with her personally. It seems to me that anyone in that role won't be accepted by a segment of fans.

Agree. I don't post on many boards outside this one, so I haven't seen all the Melissa love that's talked about, except James. I see much more negativity.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think there's a few issues with Melissa:

1. Some people don't want a girl. I dislike the ghostbuster's style "you don't like it and they're female, so you're automatically a misogynist" argument - so i'm not saying that's true of everyone - however at the same time there's probably some around who honestly don't want girls. Likewise I think the reverse is true too - there's people who got excited to have her because she's a girl. Either for girlpower or cos they like to look at girls.

2. Her image is questionable for the band. This is one of the ones that bugs me a little. It reminds me of how Robin didn't look like he was in the right band in 2001. Or how bucket's image (although fun) doesn't sit well when you think of AFD era. Or how some people didn't like Axl
s braids look. Currently the rest of the band has gone on a UYI/AFD styled look. Richard fits into this well because of all his tattoos. You can look at Axl, Duff, Slash and Richard and believe richard is Izzy, and believe in the whole fabled street-gang-junkie-kids-on-the-run-hell-house GNR backstory. They look like guys who wrote AFD - even though Richard Didn't. But Melissa looks out of place - her styling and dress sense is more anime or something. So it feels awkward. The vibe is questionable too - lets face it a lot of GNR music has pretty male centric lyrics - it's awkward to think of her signing along to some of the more "sexist" type songs. Would be easier to swallow if she was some kind of biker rock chick maybe...I dunno.

3. Bad timing. Bad Placement. This is the reunion tour. So everyone who is not AFD 5 is a little irreverent to most people. However they're making a big deal out of her. She's more noticeable in stage placement than Dizzy. Which is odd when Dizzy's been in the band 100 years and no one came to see either of them.

4. Second keyboardist. Lets face it. GNR is a guitar band. There's people who didn't like NR cos it was pussy music. Then there's people (like Slash lol) who didn't want Dizzy added cos it would lead to more keys. Now there's a second (or third if you include Axl) keys player. A lot of people don't want playback and if they want it they want it triggered by dizzy or someone not a troll doll wink In fairness too - Pitman didn't exactly inspire love too. The person who plays the synth is the face of all that is wrong with Chinese Dem to many fans. If Slash misses a show there's no godfather solo - if chris/mel misses a show then there's no masturbating robots in better.....and we wonder why people complain....

5. Similar to the "fitting in" complaint is that she's there 24/7 on the show. If they dragged her out like Teddy when she's needed on a specific song I think people would be into it. But it looks weird her standing rocking the fuck out legs spread like Slash to ISE when there's no synth line on ISE and whatever she is playing is turned down to inaudible in the mix! I'm happy for her to come out for Madagascar....but I struggle watching her dance to Jungle....

6. She's a replacement. Like how many of you folks don't really like Bumble because he isn't Buckethead. Pitman doesn't actually have the same love...in fact as I said above most dislike him and his role, but it's more odd to see it farmed out to someone who doesn't seem to fit the band image.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Here is what I like about Sweet Melissa, she seems sweet.  She seems to be enthusiastic and fun.  She is seems to be no drama and has good backing vocals.  Is she needed? no. Could Dizzy handle all this shit? yes.  Do I "want" her there? No. But she doesn't bother me any more either.  But on ISE, I see her banging on some shit and I am kind of like "there are no fucking keys on Its So Easy, please sit the fuck down" but I fear saying that would piss off Atari and John and I would be called an oppressor..

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I liked Melissa before GNR. Great stuff with Bucket and Brain. Don't have much of an opinion on her in GNR.

Check this out. Cool track; lots of her synth.

Board footer