You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash VS Chinese Democracy Guitars (Part 1)

Slash VS Chinese Democracy Guitars (Bumblefoot, Buckethead, D.J. Ashba, Robin Finck)

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Well, those are some shitty versions of those tunes but I think over all Slash does a great job with them.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I would have liked to hear what slash would have created for the CD solos overall.

What he does now is basically cover the existing melodies but interpret them into his own style which makes them a little more co-hesive with the back catalogue than they were.

However, one of Slash's best strengths is composition that suits and uplifts a song - so it would have been interesting to hear his take on these songs without the influence of the existing versions.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Ahh, 2006, I miss you.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Slash is just playing the parts that were written by others ... with some extra flourish ... sometimes necessary and sometimes not

Thanks for compiling that! smile

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

I would have liked to hear what slash would have created for the CD solos overall.

What he does now is basically cover the existing melodies but interpret them into his own style which makes them a little more co-hesive with the back catalogue than they were.

However, one of Slash's best strengths is composition that suits and uplifts a song - so it would have been interesting to hear his take on these songs without the influence of the existing versions.

Best effort I've seen from him on the NITL tour is the version of This I Love from Orlando. It's the one where it all clicks for me – it's not a collection of strung-together guitar licks, it has a beginning, middle and end, and flows from peak to trough and back:

Board footer