You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

Smoking Guns wrote:

Sorry to hear of your terrorist attack today. Hope you fellas are okay.

AtariLegend wrote:

Yet another election on June 8th 2017.

Very worried about the direction of the country after this.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

What's this one for?

AtariLegend wrote:
Neemo wrote:

What's this one for?

General election. For all seats in parliament. Theresa May senses blood with Labour polling very, very badly. This is her chance to consolidate power and have a mandate to take the country in whatever direction she wants.

Their's also an elections expenses scandal at the minute. Over 30 Tory MPs are being investigated by police for illegal spending in the 2015 election, but will let the conservatives brush it aside.

She's also supposedly going to refuse any TV election debates. With her current polling and Murdoch's media/Daily Mail on her side, she doesn't have to do much.

Any other party running against the Tories will be accused of trying to obstruct Brexit.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Very torn on this one. The problem is there's just no credible opposition to consider voting for. I don't like the way the Tories are handling things domestically however I do think they are probably the best party to take us through Brexit.

Some seem to think this could bring about the end of Sturgeon and Indyref 2 which would be no bad thing.

johndivney wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

I don't like the way the Tories are handling things domestically however I do think they are probably the best party to take us through Brexit.

Yes, because they've been doin such a great job of it so far.

It's nasty, low ball politiking. The tories are staging a coup & will further their destruction of common decency & togetherness, they're tearing communities apart.

It's a bleak outlook, unless people rally round the opposition. I'm not hopeful.

I really am so far removed from the mindset of the average English voter: I really cannot see ANYTHING redeemable about the Tories. They are rotten to their very core.

AtariLegend wrote:
johndivney wrote:

I really am so far removed from the mindset of the average English voter: I really cannot see ANYTHING redeemable about the Tories. They are rotten to their very core.

I'm far removed from the average Northern Irish voter. If I was English, I might at least vote Green.. solely for their ability to feign empathy. I just don't see how voters can look at Tory policies over the past several years and go "it's Brussels fault".

This is more than just an election, it's about giving the conservatives a mandate to carry out any right wing policy they want and change the laws dramatically during Brexit.

It also means the country can't rebel in 2019 post leaving the EU if anything goes wrong without a transitional deal.

I mean what is this for? Getting rid off Human Rights, Death Penalty, Investigatory Powers Act and an excuse to go back to blue passports?

NHS will be privatized in several years. The media is over sensationalizing everything, while ignoring Tory spending cuts. That way the right wing can go on about "well wouldn't be better if we privatized it? Fuck the poor".

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Sound like fun....lol...i hate when it's election season in Canada

johndivney wrote:

It's the gaslighting by the media & the shift to the right of the general population, the morally repugnant lack of courage & the underlying imperial mentality of little england combined that really does make me fucking sick to my stomach to a debilitating degree. It's not so much the politics itself, but the selfish desire what drives it that gets to me. What a horrible fuckin world.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:
johndivney wrote:

It's not so much the politics itself, but the selfish desire what drives it that gets to me. What a horrible fuckin world.

This ^^

Board footer