You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Guns N' Roses planning new album - 'It's too good not to happen!'

metallex78 wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It makes sense from Axl's perspective. It was a long standing, supportive band who toured the world and went through many highs and low's together.

monkeychow wrote:

Bucket is a cool guitarist but his image looked way out of place in GNR.

I hate this with the fire of a thousand suns. The guy's one of the best guitarists of all time but eh, fuck em, he dresses like an late 70s serial killer. In the entertainment industry. For a band that used to wear makeup, hoop earrings, and leather exclusively. He was, if anything, too good for Gn'R.

Too good for GNR? Maybe musically, but what a fuckin dork he looked like on stage. Short of the teased up hair metal act look that GNR briefly had going at the start, Guns always looked cool as fuck.

They were never a freak show like the 2001 lineup, like you're implying.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It makes sense from Axl's perspective. It was a long standing, supportive band who toured the world and went through many highs and low's together.

monkeychow wrote:

Bucket is a cool guitarist but his image looked way out of place in GNR.

I hate this with the fire of a thousand suns. The guy's one of the best guitarists of all time but eh, fuck em, he dresses like an late 70s serial killer. In the entertainment industry. For a band that used to wear makeup, hoop earrings, and leather exclusively. He was, if anything, too good for Gn'R.

Agreed. That line up was so good and put a new twist on the old songs. The only look I had an issue with in the band at that time was Axl's. 18

Bucket was perfect for that lineup. I was just listening to Bucket the other day and thought how Axl screwed up not taking advantage of it.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash is the sound of GNR. But yet folks still clamor for fucking Bucket. Bucket is an amazing Guitar Player! But listen to CD and you see the riffs, the balls, the swagger, it's all missing. Again, BHead is great, but the top hatted one is back and we should celebrate this. Not say "awe shucks, I wish Bucket was here". Bucket is not a true rock player but he can play rock when he wants. Slash embodies Sex and Rock. Bucket hasn't even written and Anastasia level song let alone SCOM.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

nowadays, Slash rather embodies something like tired nostalgy 80's thing. good to make money off casuals, of course.

misterID

misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Slash is the sound of GNR. But yet folks still clamor for fucking Bucket. Bucket is an amazing Guitar Player! But listen to CD and you see the riffs, the balls, the swagger, it's all missing. Again, BHead is great, but the top hatted one is back and we should celebrate this. Not say "awe shucks, I wish Bucket was here". Bucket is not a true rock player but he can play rock when he wants. Slash embodies Sex and Rock. Bucket hasn't even written and Anastasia level song let alone SCOM.

He doesn't have to be Slash. I love Vernon Reid, one of my favorite guitarists ever. Sounds nothing like Slash. And that's okay. I'm not bashing Slash,which these debates always unintentionally devolve into, but I never heard Slash ever come close to writing anything like Golden Eyes or Whitewash. Its cool, you don't have to get it. That 02 line up I guess just wasn't for everybody, like the DJ era really wasn't for me. I accept that. It's okay.

The Bucket era is over so there's no point in arguing it. My only thing is that I hope I get the rest of those 02-05 songs.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
zombux wrote:

nowadays, Slash rather embodies something like tired nostalgy 80's thing. good to make money off casuals, of course.

Wrong. Fake News.

Since 2010 Slash solo has done nothing but crank out kick ass songs and tour the world. Name one kick ass rock song Bucket wrote that got any traction.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
misterID wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

He doesn't have to be Slash. I love Vernon Reid, one of my favorite guitarists ever. Sounds nothing like Slash. And that's okay. I'm not bashing Slash,which these debates always unintentionally devolve into, but I never heard Slash ever come close to writing anything like Golden Eyes or Whitewash. Its cool, you don't have to get it. That 02 line up I guess just wasn't for everybody, like the DJ era really wasn't for me. I accept that. It's okay.

The Bucket era is over so there's no point in arguing it. My only thing is that I hope I get the rest of those 02-05 songs.

I like Bucket! Axl should have done a fucking solo album with him. But Slash IS the sound of GNR. BUT HE DIDN'T have the balls to be the next Ozzy...

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

The best lineup to move forward in 1996 using members that actually worked with GNR would have been:

Axl
Slash
Duff
Sorum
Dizzy
Richard

For love shit bring on Zig Zag. Frank is the worst drummer in the history of GNR.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

I like Bucket! Axl should have done a fucking solo album with him. BUT HE DIDN'T have the balls to be the next Ozzy...

I get the impression Axl wanted to make Guns N' Roses into a rock n' roll symphony.

He wanted to outgrow the dirty, prurient rock n' roll trappings. And now... back to square one. Sigh.

I like Slash. The classic lineup is probably my second favorite band of all time. But his solo stuff does nothing for me.

Slash is McDonalds on his best day. Buckethead is... a master chef constantly creating different types of cuisine.

I'll put Colma and/or Deli Creep's over anything Slash has done in his entire career. That's just me.

Smoking Guns wrote:

Name one kick ass rock song Bucket wrote that got any traction.

Bucket doesn't care about "traction". He cares about making music.

But if you want a list of tracks from Bucket I'd listen to 20 times over Slash's solo work, we can have that conversation. I'm here for you.

zombux wrote:

100%

misterID wrote:

I don't want throwback rock.

Amen.

misterID wrote:

I like Frank.

He's like Ashba. Inferior to his predecessors but started decent enough then quickly went off a cliff.

Freese is the only new guy who fits into the classic Guns mold. Brain is more of a funky, hip hop Matt Sorum.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Eh, the "who is the sound of GN'R" is a different debate -- one I'm tired of and smart enough not to get into. All in the eye of the beholder. Slash has reinvigorated Axl, so that's good.

I like Frank.

I don't want throwback rock.

Board footer