You are not logged in. Please register or login.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

zombux wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I hope to hear the unreleased Chinese Democracy / CD2 material some day but will be forever let down we didn't get many long years of collaboration between pseudo-asian Axl and space alien Finck and technobot Buckethead.

don't forget Brain - he and Bucket were a good team.

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

Voodoochild wrote:

Dont forget Pitman.









Ok, you can forget Pitman.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

esoterica wrote:
zombux wrote:

don't forget Brain - he and Bucket were a good team.

Yeah, I like Brain through his work with Bucket, but theoretically I would probably prefer Josh or someone like him.

It would depend on the musical direction they would've taken after CD / CD2, I suppose.

Voodoochild wrote:

Ok, you can forget Pitman.

I know everyone hates him but I really like his solo work and the ambient/synth on Chinese.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 89 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

auad wrote:
benny wrote:

The recent leak of Madagascar reminds me of how it sounded at the 2002 MTV VMA performance.  I remember my interest being renewed in a new GNR album after that performance.  Even though Axl was gassed while performing.

even nowadays I consider that fantastic performance  one of my favorites. An artist fighting bravely for survival. The band sounded great on that medley, and that lineup is the one I like the most.

The tragedy is if Axl had come out looking and sounding like this:

Subsequent events would've been very different. I firmly believe they would've been on the fast track to releasing the album if Axl had been on form that night; instead, he wheezed his way through Jungle, out of puff 'cause he expended everything on the intro scream. The rest of the band were musically tight, and visually intriguing; Axl was the weak link.

Mind you, I still think their choice of songs – a weird medley of AFD stuff that would just have people going "Where's Slash" and a verse of the down-tempo Madagascar dropped awkwardly in the middle – was misguided. They should've come out swinging: belt out Chinese Democracy, in full, and segue into TWAT, in full. Show that the new band could do tracks every bit as iconic as the originals, with an outro guitar solo to rival November Rain.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 15 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
zombux wrote:

don't forget Brain - he and Bucket were a good team.

Yeah, I like Brain through his work with Bucket, but theoretically I would probably prefer Josh or someone like him.

It would depend on the musical direction they would've taken after CD / CD2, I suppose.

Voodoochild wrote:

Ok, you can forget Pitman.

I know everyone hates him but I really like his solo work and the ambient/synth on Chinese.


Freese is better on the industiral type songs, where as brain is better for the ballad type stuff

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

esoterica wrote:

Bash the hell out of a love song Brain? Nooooo.

elevendayempire wrote:

I firmly believe they would've been on the fast track to releasing the album if Axl had been on form that night

I think it was a train wreck bound to happen, unfortunately.

I mean, Axl could've magically gotten a vocal coach in 2002 and done extensive training/warm-up before the tour instead of winging it. But he wasn't in the game mentally or vocally. I guess he could've felt like the performance sucked and that's why he immediately said "I don't know if soon's the word" but that suggested premeditation and generally uneasiness to me.

It was also heavily rumored he had vocal polyps surgery 2004/2005 but who knows.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 89 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

Wagszilla wrote:

Bash the hell out of a love song Brain? Nooooo.

elevendayempire wrote:

I firmly believe they would've been on the fast track to releasing the album if Axl had been on form that night

I think it was a train wreck bound to happen, unfortunately.

I mean, Axl could've magically gotten a vocal coach in 2002 and done extensive training/warm-up before the tour instead of winging it. But he wasn't in the game mentally or vocally.

Well, yeah, that's what I'm saying. If Axl had got himself a vocal coach in '02 instead of half-assing it, then we would've got the album in 2003 at the latest.

Actually, I kinda think that the greatest tragedy was not getting Buckethead back for the '06 tour. Bumblefoot, good as he was, always felt like a hasty substitute (which he was), and it opened the door to the endless re-recording of the album to ensure that the new members had a presence on it. Which in turn led to Robin leaving, and then the benighted DJ Ashba era. Which, in turn, royally fucked the promotion of the album, because suddenly GN'R had to promote an album with five guitarists on it, three of whom weren't in the current band (which stirred up all the "Slash is irreplaceable" arguments). The uncertainty over the Buckethead/Bumblefoot substitution emboldened people like Azoff, who was actively trying to sabotage the band and engineer a reunion.

If they'd managed to hang on to Buckethead in '06, they could've followed a coherent schedule: tour and then put out the album, and tour some more with a stable line-up.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

esoterica wrote:

Yeah, my point was that's a lot of if's / things that needed to go differently and near impossible knowing Axl's mental state at that point.

I agree. It would've been amazing if Buckethead came back in 2006 and if they managed to drop the album the same year... fireworks.

I think for all his flaws, Azoff saw the writing on the wall. He probably knew Robin was pissed off and had one foot out the door, that CD was going to be hit-or-miss at best, and it was a prime opportunity to please Axl and get a fat payday. I would like to hear Axl's side of the story.

I think Axl should've called New GNR a day after Robin walked and that CD shouldn't have been toured upon. It was hubris and pure delusion to try to force it down people's throats. It was DOA and the commercially friendly half was already out there for half of a year. Game over man, game over.

misterID
 Rep: 472 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

misterID wrote:

06 was the year. More so than 2002. Axl was cool again, he was out, partying, on magazine covers. Bucket would have been a cultural phenomenon had the album dropped with cool Axl in 06.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 15 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

dave-gnfnr wrote:
misterID wrote:

06 was the year. More so than 2002. Axl was cool again, he was out, partying, on magazine covers. Bucket would have been a cultural phenomenon had the album dropped with cool Axl in 06.

And that is why axl was still trying to get him to come back up until  a week before hammerstien.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB