You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: GNR.FM | Destruction Is Coming

monkeychow wrote:

One thing I notice is it sounds a lot more finished performance wise than the other release. Not the mixing - the actual performance seems more crafted.

Like if you listen to the 1991 CD version (LALD CD single B side) - the B side version was faster, Axl does a bit more of his UYI style voice at the end (putting angry/evil emphasis on certain words etc) - but the general feel of the track is a lot more like a live recording. Slash's solo seems to almost start late like would live as he hoisted up his guitar or ran into position or something....and it feels more improvised.

This 2018/1986 version is a lot more polished. Perhaps it's just all the modern EQing - or maybe they spent longer on it in the 86 recording session than in the one they used for the 91 single - like did more takes.

So I can see why people feel its re-recorded - it's like it's suddenly a really high quality detailed take similar to an AFD cut - when every other version of the song in existence had a sloppy fun rushed feel.

But I think it's old just cos I don't think Axl sounds like that now. So I think if they've done any tampering - it's at least the original vocals IMO.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
johndivney wrote:

It's a money grab. Just like the money grab tour, money grab fashion event, and money grab merch factory.

I wanted CDII. I never wanted a reunion because I knew it'd be what it is.

This.
I'd pay a grand for the 4 album version of Chinese Democracy before I'd pay half of that of the Appetite box. I realize I'm in the extreme minority, but I don't care. 
As soon as it  became clear Izzy wasn't involved with the reunion, it was obvious that new material wasn't forthcoming. There's no excuse for this shit, and motherfuckers are going to let them off the hook by forking over their money. After the first year of touring, when the whole thing is no longer a secret, if they had any respect for their fans, they should have gone into a studio and banged out a few new tracks.
The fact that Slash and Duff have zero issue playing CD material live only makes it worse. There are whoknowshowmany unreleased/unheard finished tracks from the CD sessions they could have recorded with the current lineup in no time at all. Even that kind of half-assed gesture would have earned a ton of respect from me.
Nope.
Vacation, then back through the states. This time in smaller venues, with basically the same set list.
They'll sooner go make records with their secondary projects and put together some overpriced nostalgia milking AFD box set  before they'll just get together somewhere like a real band and jam for a couple of months?
What the fuck...

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:
Walker wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

Do you guys think that all the demos will have the same kind of quality as shadow of your Love ?

I hope they do. I'm most excited for the 2 November Rain demos. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this thing to leak, but there isn't a section for it yet on hasitleaked dot com.

I know! I can't wait... it's only a month, but it seems more like a year already. It would be nice if it leaked carefully just for a few Hardcore GNR fans, for us to be entertained until it's released, knowing that we would all buy a version of the box anyways.

Walker
 Rep: 8 

Walker wrote:
AndreCC wrote:
Walker wrote:
AndreCC wrote:

Do you guys think that all the demos will have the same kind of quality as shadow of your Love ?

I hope they do. I'm most excited for the 2 November Rain demos. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this thing to leak, but there isn't a section for it yet on hasitleaked dot com.

I know! I can't wait... it's only a month, but it seems more like a year already. It would be nice if it leaked carefully just for a few Hardcore GNR fans, for us to be entertained until it's released, knowing that we would all buy a version of the box anyways.

im waiting for the November Rain demos to leak, but there's nothing about this on hasitleaked.com yet sad

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:
Walker wrote:
AndreCC wrote:
Walker wrote:

im waiting for the November Rain demos to leak, but there's nothing about this on hasitleaked.com yet sad

I'm guessing it will probably leak some time during the month of June, probably two weeks prior to release.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

The infamous Fernando took to another forum to answer some fan questions.

This one stuck out.

Fernando, MyGNR, 5/18/2018 wrote:

Q: Has the band/management discussed releasing a similar box/package of previously unreleased music for the UYIs or CD as you are now doing for AFD?

A: No. The guys feel really happy with how the box was put together and everything that is included within it, will that open other opportunities for the guys to release more stuff? I don't know, but it's always a possibility.

While he did make an ephemeral note that "something" was in the works, this comment and Axl's comment at the China Exchange that he'd "like to" release more music doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I hope Axl shows up in fighting shape when the tour kicks off.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

glad to know they're working on something. since it by rule cannot be new music, it has to be a blu-ray/dvd of some kind.

some other takeaways:

- gnr will be touring for years and years to come
- troubadour 2016 dvd will never happen
- management hates marc canter
- lithos are coming back for the next tour leg
- fernando oversees the gn'r clothing department
- fernando loves izzy
- gnr toy semi trucks will be going on sale
- fernando wanted to set the record straight that he did not leak cd

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

I wonder what marc canter did wrong? All the public talking about GNR? They seem to prefer to keep everything secret for some reason. Or perhaps it was something else - who knows. But he did talk alot on My Gnr....

As for the "Something" comment....I think what can he say really? Like we know Axl has said in the past that one day he wants to release something else, and we know they have unreleased songs. It's not really his place to come out and contradict Axl and say that nothing will ever happen - as Axl decides to do things unexpectedly - like the whole reunion - so he can't for sure say it won't even if they have no plans at the moment - meanwhile he also can't be too optimistic or it will get our expectations flowing that something will happen soon...when there's every chance it's not even actively being worked on until after the tours etc. So yeah....I think this is why he just gives cryptic answers - because he doesn't really have the authority to say what they will or won't do and almost any answer will be the wrong answer.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

Yes, of course.

But it paints a picture of a band low on the pecking order, not exactly in control of their fate.

It's hardly surprising given all the factors but again, not inspiring.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...it's certainly uninspiring.

I take it to mean nothing is actively being planned to happen soon, but that they reserve the right to do something eventually if they feel like it, but they also don't want to be held to it 16

I figure they would want this AFD release and SOYL single to get most attention in the market place for the time being, so I doubt something is coming out around the same time or they would have mentioned it previously.

Then the rest of this year we have more tour dates. Then towards the end of the year Slash is doing another Myles album and some dates around that - which you'd assume is scheduled around down time for GNR.

So i'd say we're looking at mid next year at the absolute earliest to start a new GNR cycle, and I think that could depend on if Ac/Dc decides to move forward with Axl. If an Axl/Dc record happens then I think we'd basically see a huge Ac/Dc tour - and GNR would be at most maybe a handful of tour dates around that still NITL themed - much like this year has been - sporadic dates st festivals etc. It could then really be years until they regrouped and started a full GNR new cycle.

But time will tell I guess.

Board footer