You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: GNR soundchecks Slither

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Awesome that they put it in the setlist. Axl sounds bad, lethargic. You'd think he'd be pretty amped up covering it for the very first time. Haven't they been off for 6 months or so?  Had plenty of time to prepare & nail it.

Makes me realize Scott was a great & inspired live singer.

vipicius
 Rep: 6 

vipicius wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If you expect mid-50s Axl to sound like 20s Axl, or 40s for that matter, you are fooling yourself. It’s not Mick’s voice. Totally different dynamic.

Would you rather he retire?

What I most hope is that he will be well and healthy without getting hurt.
However, if it is possible to do something to become better, well, that would be cool.
Anyway, live shows are insane when you're there, even if it does not reflect on recordings.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:

If you expect mid-50s Axl to sound like 20s Axl, or 40s for that matter, you are fooling yourself. It’s not Mick’s voice. Totally different dynamic.

Would you rather he retire?

I don't think anyone is expecting that but his voice has fallen off a cliff the past couple of years.

It's hard to compare to other singers because Axl isn't like most other singers. The closest equivalent example is probably Brian Johnson and he held up quite well most of his career.

I think 2016 threw people for a loop. He sounded merely acceptable with GNR and relatively great with AC/DC. Then 2017 he was back to the mean. So with the rumors of working out and the long delay, people perhaps were hoping for better results.

But it is what it is. Either you can bitch yet still watch every livestream performance like some or just do something else.

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Awesome that they put it in the setlist. Axl sounds bad, lethargic. You'd think he'd be pretty amped up covering it for the very first time. Haven't they been off for 6 months or so?  Had plenty of time to prepare & nail it.

Damn. That's a pretty badass performance. 9

He manages to sound like Danzig like 6 minutes in. 14

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Damn. That's a pretty badass performance. 9

He manages to sound like Danzig like 6 minutes in. 14

Damn, yeah it was. Wasn't sure where SG was gonna go with that, thought he posted a bad VR performance but that was dominant!

Wagszilla wrote:

On topic and being more positive, I actually thought Frank sounded pretty good on Slither.

I agree, he was solid. Band sounded fine, Slash wasn't his 2004 self, but all good.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

I posted the VR clip to show that Slither can be a great live song.

Weiland does channel some Morrison as well.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah, like him or hate him, when he was "on" he was top notch live. I'm sure he had his bad shows now & then, and probably some extremely bad shows here & there (drugs), but no denying when he was on it was bound to be a great show.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Yeah, like him or hate him, when he was "on" he was top notch live. I'm sure he had his bad shows now & then, and probably some extremely bad shows here & there (drugs), but no denying when he was on it was bound to be a great show.

Agree, when on he was one of the very best front men around.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well on the positive side:

1. They did something new

2. Axl singing the chorus up an octave would have been cool if he'd been using one of his stronger voices. Like it sounded bad here - but it would be cool in Ac/Dc voice or in say a 1990s or 2000s Axl voice.

On the bad side....I seriously think the era of good Axl performances is coming to an end.

He was good in ac/dc but thats because those songs allowed him to just use his scream voice that was still functional then, but he was covering vocal weakness in GNR in 2016 with screams, and by 2017 he was faltering badly. I'd been hoping it was just for the end of the tour - but here we are with a break and it's worse again.

I think we basically need some studio stuff out of the band, it makes me sad but Axl's problems live just make even things that would once have been jawdroppingly awesome to me bland.

Listening to this song 10 years ago would have made me super happy, but it just sounds bad here. I wish it didn't.

I'd love to hear more GNR in the studio, and I love listening to recordings and boots from the past when they were strong live. But sadly, i think we've got to a point where the live show is no longer going to be amazing.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Meh Slither didn’t sound great however I’m willing to cut them some slack and it is really cool they added it to the set.

No YCBM or Coma and a shorter show overall by around 40 minutes suggests something was up. Lets see what things look like 4 or 5 shows in.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

here we are with a break and it's worse again.

Historically Axl's always struggled after a break. Seems like it takes his voice a while to warm up, which is awkward because it's usually the first couple of shows from a tour that are proshot (like that yellow-raincoat RIR clusterfuck). I wouldn't worry at this point. It's cool that he's doing Slither, but I'm surprised he's not using the ISE voice for the verses.

Board footer