You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

monkeychow wrote:
Aussie wrote:

An interesting article here on the financials of TLJ. Seems to be some credible guesstimates.

AN AMOUNT EQUIVALENT TO 80% PROFIT OF THE FORCE AWAKENS – FROM ALL VENUES AND PLATFORMS WORLDWIDE – IS MISSING FROM THE LAST JEDI’S BALANCE SHEET.

https://filmgoblin.com/box-office/the-l … r/#numbers

Wow.

I knew it was under-whelming to most fans, didn't realise it was in that much trouble.

You'd think heads would roll for expectation-losses of that kind.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I feel the difference is that less people watched it multiple times, and people who aren't too into it (my parents, non-fans etc) didn't check this one out.

I wonder if their oversaturating it already. 10+ year wait from the bad prequels & now 4 movies within 3 years? I'm also not sure the winter release was the best idea for #2. It worked for toy sales on TFA being the first SW film in a long time, and parents & their kids bought items. But obviously less are going to buy toys 2 years later. And, if they want increased toy sales then fine, just don't bitch about lowered movie ticket sales. It was cold as shit here during the holidays thru New Years, zero degrees for 2 weeks. People didn't wanna leave the house.

TFA worked. Rogue One alot of ppl liked, but lets be real, they were nervous AF & got by with the skin of their teeth. I feel TLJ should've come out this Memorial Day, and Solo next Memorial or 4th. Then maybe the final installment during Christmas if the want a year & half later. Followed by IMHO a Boba Fett offshoot.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've pre-purchased my Solo tickets for Saturday

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

Curious about this. Seems it'll get by without major backlash/disappointment. I don't think it'll generate the revenue others had. IMHO it'll be the weakest of the reboots $$$wise. I think Blank Panther & Infinity Wars already kinda stole the thunder for the years blockbuster.

IMHO The Matrix needs a reboot. It's time.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Holy shit... This article. Everything. All my issues summed up and who's to blame. (It isn't the fans)

https://www.dailywire.com/news/31712/no … ssion=true

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Looks like another 3 years of garbage, they've just extended Kathleen Kennedy's contract for another 3 years.

https://movieweb.com/kathleen-kennedy-s … d-3-years/

Ridiculous!

I also laugh how recently Bob Iger had used the "star wars fatigue" line as to why the box office was down etc.  BS, it's the quality of the films obviously.  You could make 2-3 a year and people would still go and see them if they were good, but they're not, it's as simple as that!

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I kinda disagree. I really wasn't gonna see Solo. Maybe if the reviews were it is mind blowingly good. I've heard its better than its box office figures, but 6 months apart was just too quick a turnaround.

Looking back, TLJ was a bit mehhh. Benecio Del Torro's character seemed just ok, kindof a rehash of Billie Dee. Him screwing them over wasn't some epic plot twist. Luke was just ruined in that role. And not killing off Leia was kinda lame.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I wasn't that into solo, but I had a 5 hour flight to Seattle for an Alaskan cruise so I watched it.  I thought it was pretty good for what it was.  While I was really into Star Wars as a child/teen and I did enjoy the prequels to some extent, the last two movies were sort of just okay.  I enjoyed them for the entertainment value, but I just don't feel as attached to the story.

PaSnow

PaSnow wrote:

I do wanna rewatch the prequels, maybe after the dust settles on these 3 the prequels will be regarded a bit higher, who knows.

Having said that, I feel 'closer' to these 3, although I feel there were some pretty glaring misses throughout it. TFA was a bit too safe, the storyline was essentially a carbon copy of ANH, and its set design and look was kinda plastic, like JJ Abrams Star Treks, not rugged & dirty like the originals (Yoda's planet, garbage disposal, broken down machines). Killing off Hans was a pretty gutsy move for the 1st ep, that worked.

Then TLJ, more than anything, just butchered Luke's storyline. Just bizarre. It had other faults. Now, they're diverting it back to JJ Abrams, which, in my mind, will again be playing it 'safe'. I think they feel they had some close calls & near misses, and don't wanna risk not maximizing on the 3rd installment.

Would've been cool if they tangibly intersected the 3 offshoots, Rogue One, Solo, and maybe a Boba Fett one. All have then intertwine. (I'm  assuming Solo & RO never really do)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I didnt mind SOLO...i need to buy it and watch again

Solo happened way before RO so no chance of a tie in there...but it did tie into the Rebels cartoon series...and Rogue One also tied into Rebels...

Board footer