You are not logged in. Please register or login.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

Re: Guns N' Roses & related STUDIO SESSIONS - a definitive collection (?)

dalethirsty wrote:

“I was really happy with a lot of the material and I think we went in to do basic tracks and with a new drummer we did 36 songs in 36 days, so we weren’t fucking around,” says Slash. “After the basic tracks were done, I’d spend three weeks doing guitars, which for 30 songs was actually pretty fast. I was sometimes doing two songs in one day. But everything hit a brick wall when it came to doing the synthesizer stuff, and I never agreed with doing the synthesizer stuff anyway. Although I think some of it is brilliant, it was part of the new way, which was the beginning of the end. That was the beginning of the whole process taking forever. It was like a lot of days were not working, some days it was working, and most of the record was finished. It didn’t really need all the rest of it. That was the biggest disagreement for me.”

Izzy Stradlin was also exiling himself, distanced by the scale of the recording. “I did the basic tracks, then he [Slash] did his tracks, like a month or two by himself,” he said. “Then came Axl’s vocal parts. I went back to Indiana…”

“Well Axl’s a… perfectionist,” says Duff slowly. “That’s what makes him great. The end product’s great, but it gets maddening to work with that person. There’s no hashing out with them. November Rain in particular, the song was torturing him. He was happy he was finally finished with it. It wasn’t really characteristic of the band.”

a raw use your illusion as one album without all the filler would have been amazing.

i'd love to hear that version someday.

but then there's also this interesting quote from axl:

“We knew we had to bury Appetite in some way,” Rose told Hit Parader, soon after their release. “There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t outdo Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted. I’ve never really looked at it as two separate albums. I’ve always looked at it as an entire package. For me it fits together perfectly for the 30 songs in a row. Everything that we decided to record for the album made it.

ZeroMortals7
 Rep: 0 

ZeroMortals7 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

“I was really happy with a lot of the material and I think we went in to do basic tracks and with a new drummer we did 36 songs in 36 days, so we weren’t fucking around,” says Slash. “After the basic tracks were done, I’d spend three weeks doing guitars, which for 30 songs was actually pretty fast. I was sometimes doing two songs in one day. But everything hit a brick wall when it came to doing the synthesizer stuff, and I never agreed with doing the synthesizer stuff anyway. Although I think some of it is brilliant, it was part of the new way, which was the beginning of the end. That was the beginning of the whole process taking forever. It was like a lot of days were not working, some days it was working, and most of the record was finished. It didn’t really need all the rest of it. That was the biggest disagreement for me.”

Izzy Stradlin was also exiling himself, distanced by the scale of the recording. “I did the basic tracks, then he [Slash] did his tracks, like a month or two by himself,” he said. “Then came Axl’s vocal parts. I went back to Indiana…”

“Well Axl’s a… perfectionist,” says Duff slowly. “That’s what makes him great. The end product’s great, but it gets maddening to work with that person. There’s no hashing out with them. November Rain in particular, the song was torturing him. He was happy he was finally finished with it. It wasn’t really characteristic of the band.”

a raw use your illusion as one album without all the filler would have been amazing.

“We knew we had to bury Appetite in some way,” Rose told Hit Parader, soon after their release. “There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t outdo Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted. I’ve never really looked at it as two separate albums. I’ve always looked at it as an entire package. For me it fits together perfectly for the 30 songs in a row. Everything that we decided to record for the album made it.

It's obvious Axl never wanted to bury AFD. $1000 for AFD Box and $179 for AFD Deluxe. AFD dominates NITL setlist. Doesn't look like AFD is buried to me.

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:
ZeroMortals7 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

It's obvious Axl never wanted to bury AFD. $1000 for AFD Box and $179 for AFD Deluxe. AFD dominates NITL setlist. Doesn't look like AFD is buried to me.

Yeah, 27 years after the quote was made. I'm certain that Axl in 1991 didn't feel like having AFD as the band's main lasting legacy. Singing the same songs every show for over 30 years. But then, I doubt he saw everything going to shit as much as it did.

ZeroMortals7

ZeroMortals7 wrote:
LocoComa wrote:
ZeroMortals7 wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

Yeah, 27 years after the quote was made. I'm certain that Axl in 1991 didn't feel like having AFD as the band's main lasting legacy. Singing the same songs every show for over 30 years. But then, I doubt he saw everything going to shit as much as it did.

Things went to stink because Axl took control of the GNR name which phased Slash and Duff out at the time.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Axl was right that Guns needed to do something outrageously ambitious to be seen as moving beyond its initial success. Lies was a placeholder, a way to buy the band some time between albums. The practice really dates back to the 1960s, with the "extended play" records of about four songs that The Beatles and others would release. U2 used to do the same things with mini-albums like Under a Blood Red Sky and Wide Awake in America (They should probably get back to doing that again). It gives fans something to enjoy so they don't forget about a group.

A single GNR LP would have been compared against Appetite and inevitably (unfairly) been written off as weaker by comparison, even though they're very different projects by a band at very different stages in its career. Releasing two CDs took that argument off the table. All the music press, and mainstream press, could talk about at the time was the audacity of the band to release such a huge project.

It also made them seem like songwriting machines, able to crank out tons of material. That, too, boosted the group's reputation, and by extension it defused a lot of frustration that had built up during the years of waiting for UYI to finally come out after repeated missed deadlines and broken promises in interviews with Slash and company. The sheer volume of music justified the delay.

I agree that a single disc would have been stronger (I usually listen to a mix CD of my favorite UYI tracks rather than the whole thing) but it's like Paul McCartney says about The Beatles' White Album: "Sure it's too long and at times it's strange, but come on: It's The Beatles' White Album!"

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

in the end, the UYI albums are a mess. admit it. compared to a monolith AFD is, UYI are a mess.
but man. how fucking awesome are some of the UYI moments. definitely, a big part of the thing are weak tracks that could have been better as B-sides to the numerous singles. but still the stronger material wouldn't fit 1 CD. so I quite get it, why they did a 2 disc thing.
it's not about if AFD is weaker or UYI or vice versa - it's actually really hard to even compare those two. some older UYI songs are leftovers from 1980's - and those are easily MUCH weaker than AFD tracks. but the rest, the "brand new" UYI stuff, are mostly just mindblowing. the real artistic peak of GNR.
as an album, AFD is miles better than UYI. but on UYI there are easily the most daring, experimental and just flat out jawdropping songs they ever did! smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I've been skimming the thread and saw talk about bonus material and all that.

It doesn't necessarily have to be b-sides or alts which probably don't exist.

Nirvana's In Utero 20th Anniversary bonus disc was a remastered performance of the band at MTV's Live and Loud. We could get a prime era show as bonus, it'd work perfectly fine.

I was psyched for that but I gotta say these days old Guns got nothing for me.

AndreCC

AndreCC wrote:
zombux wrote:

in the end, the UYI albums are a mess. admit it. compared to a monolith AFD is, UYI are a mess.
but man. how fucking awesome are some of the UYI moments. definitely, a big part of the thing are weak tracks that could have been better as B-sides to the numerous singles. but still the stronger material wouldn't fit 1 CD. so I quite get it, why they did a 2 disc thing.
it's not about if AFD is weaker or UYI or vice versa - it's actually really hard to even compare those two. some older UYI songs are leftovers from 1980's - and those are easily MUCH weaker than AFD tracks. but the rest, the "brand new" UYI stuff, are mostly just mindblowing. the real artistic peak of GNR.
as an album, AFD is miles better than UYI. but on UYI there are easily the most daring, experimental and just flat out jawdropping songs they ever did! smile

The Illusion albums are my favorites, and I'm always undecided which cd is better.  However I do have to say that my 2 favorite Guns songs are on Appetite, "It's so Easy" and "Welcome To The jungle". My third favorite is "You Could Be Mine" though.

There's only two songs I don't listen that much on the UYI albums... "You Ain't the First" and "My World".

Responding to the Fillers apologists... I love "So Fine", I love "Shotgun Blues", I love "Back Off Bitch, I Love "Bad Obsession" and I Love "Pretty Tied Up".
I know this is probably gonna shock some people but for my taste the Fillers on the UYI albums are "You ain't the first", "My World", "Get in the Ring", "Breakdown", "Don't Cry 2"  and "Locomotive" (This last one only because I don't like the voice effects on Axl's vocals), but I still like those songs a lot.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Should official edits be factored in to this list? A few to consider:

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-We … se/5882689
1    Welcome To The Jungle (The All Dayparts Radio Edit)    4:10
2    Welcome To The Jungle (CHR Edit)    3:41

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Sw … ase/974018
1    Sweet Child O' Mine (The All Dayparts Remix)    4:18
2    Sweet Child O' Mine (Edit / Remix)    4:53
3    Sweet Child O' Mine (LP Version)    5:55

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Sw … se/5882576
1    Sweet Child O' Mine (Edit/Remix)    3:57

https://www.discogs.com/G-nR-Estranged/release/5519261
1    Estranged    5:14
2    Estranged    6:37

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Ch … se/5003735
1    Chinese Democracy (Original Radio Edit)    3:42
2    Chinese Democracy    4:42

https://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-St … se/8680221
1    Street Of Dreams    4:44
2    Street Of Dreams (Radio Edit)    4:21
(This one is listed as "unofficial," meaning a counterfeit. Has that been verified one way or the other?)

While the "Jungle" and "SCOM" edits kind of gut those tracks, the "Estranged" edits are very good. They streamline the song making it more focused and powerful.

P.S. Check out the ad for the Appetite box set! https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/simga … 6743919606

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

I believe Street of Dreams is a legit promo that just like the Alternative CD cover artworks was simply never released for whatever reasons.

Board footer