You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: Eric Clapton "Day by Day: The Later Years" book

ClaudeF wrote:

I found a really good book this weekend: "Eric Clapton Day by Day: The Later Years 1983 - 2013." It's a big hardcover reference book with tons of photos and details of every session and gig he did in that 30-year periof: Who he played with, the songs, etc. Very similar in a sense to Marc Canter's GNR biography.

Clapton's so ubiquitous, you can't escape his music. The 1960s, 1970s and 1980s tracks are on rock radio. The 1990s songs are on pop and easy listening. In a way, I think his popularity makes it easy to take him for granted, but seeing some of these set lists makes me want to find out what's on YouTube and available on bootlegs.

The book is sorely in need of an index for, at the very least, all the people he's worked with, either as tourmates, in the studio for albums, or in one-offs, but it looks really nice and I'm looking forward to picking my way through it.

Mike
 Rep: 13 

Mike wrote:

I will keep this book in mind as I am a big fan of Eric Clapton myself. I've seen him live twice at Madison Square Garden and his music inspired me to pick the guitar back up 8 years ago after a long hiatus of not playing.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Interesting point about 'taking him for granted'. I could see that. Definitely was a sick guitarist in his day, and probably some cool as shit on Youtube. I think his music & personality bordered on, not sure how to word this properly, mainstream or packaged rock. I dunno, just no edgy enough. No doubting a tremendous guitarist & was very influential & popular in many bands & solo acts.

Keith Richards book Life is a really good read if you like bio's. He has alot of insights & interesting tidbits, one of which, the keyboardist for Derek & The Domino's who wrote the Layla ending went mad & ended up killing his own mother, bizarre story. I read Springsteens book, wasn't nearly as good. Seemed as if he was blowing off his ghostwriter alot & the writer was starved for stories & details, milking out whatever he could out of it.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
Mike wrote:

I will keep this book in mind as I am a big fan of Eric Clapton myself. I've seen him live twice at Madison Square Garden and his music inspired me to pick the guitar back up 8 years ago after a long hiatus of not playing.

That's awesome! No doubt he'd be proud to hear that.

PaSnow wrote:

Keith Richards book Life is a really good read if you like bio's. He has alot of insights & interesting tidbits, one of which, the keyboardist for Derek & The Domino's who wrote the Layla ending went mad & ended up killing his own mother, bizarre story. I read Springsteens book, wasn't nearly as good. Seemed as if he was blowing off his ghostwriter alot & the writer was starved for stories & details, milking out whatever he could out of it.

I found a second-hand copy of Keith's autobiography and am looking forward to reading it. I tried Bill's Stone Alone , which offered facts, figures, and dates, but little or no insights. He'd tell you the details of an album or tour, but not get into what it meant to him and the band. Is Ronnie's book any good?

My favorite Stones bios are Up and Down with the Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez (which is a really personal, close-up view of what the guys were like, especially Keith) and Old Gods Almost Dead by Stephen Davis, which tells the whole story from the start to recent times, and pays a lot of attention to songs that are pretty obscure. Have you tried those?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Nahh, kinda read Life on a whim, although I like the Stones alot. It's exactly as you say tho, just small little insights & anecdotes. Things about the band early on in Britain, small shows, hanging with The Beatles, song writing & album recording, money issues, drug use etc.  It's nothing graphic, like explicit sex or drug stories, but he brushes over them.

I'll say this, there's a few stories that are almost hard to believe. Just bizarre, I don't doubt they happened, just that it's amusing to think they lived thru that.

Board footer