You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

johndivney wrote:

There is no new music.
No Axl/DC means ‘classic’ GnR tour/semi retirement for immediate future. Axl’s a busted flush artistically.
Hope springs eternal tho.

Think Dylan’s I Cant Wait would be a good addition to covers repertoire.
Maybe great american songbook route is where he oughta go. Just shut up & sing.. which ironically enough is what he’s been doing the past 20years..

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

johndivney wrote:

There is no new music.

Nah, it's coming. Like I said: when they need to give the tour a shot in the arm 'cause they've hit every region and interest is flagging... then we'll start hearing rumblings.

Think Dylan’s I Cant Wait would be a good addition to covers repertoire.

Like A Rolling Stone and Gimme Shelter are the ones I really want to hear. Either drag Melissa out from behind the synths to do the Merry Clayton vocal, or rope in one of their celeb fans like Pink or Fergie or Gaga to do it.

elevendayempire

Slash interview from The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/time … -m2q9qbkmg

“There is not a lot for me to say about it except that it’s been a huge f***in’ weight off my shoulders,” says Slash. “As soon as we started the rehearsals Axl and I got past a couple of decades’ worth of bullshit and found the camaraderie again. It was only meant to be two shows and a couple of warm-up gigs. Now we’re touring the world.”

“There was a rumour going round that we gave him an ultimatum, but actually Axl showed up on time from rehearsals onward,” Slash says on his lead singer’s new-found punctuality. “It’s a trip for me because we had a lot of issues with that back in the Nineties, but he came in so professional and in great spirits, even after he broke his foot and did the first two shows in a chair.”

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

My heart is black and cynical.

I can think of a handful of things they'd do: smaller venues, more frequent guests, rumors of farewell tours, etc. ahead of releasing new music.

The year or so off will give the machine time to cool down before they'll be back with a new tour. And a UYI box set.

We'll still be sitting in our Chinese stew, viewing our dis-infatuation.

elevendayempire

Wagszilla wrote:

My heart is black and cynical.

I can think of a handful of things they'd do: smaller venues, more frequent guests, rumors of farewell tours, etc. ahead of releasing new music.

The year or so off will give the machine time to cool down before they'll be back with a new tour. And a UYI box set.

We'll still be sitting in our Chinese stew, viewing our dis-infatuation.

Oh yes, they'll absolutely do all of those things. New music is a long way off, but it's an inevitability because at some point they'll need to give the touring machine an adrenaline shot.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
johndivney wrote:

There is no new music.

Nah, it's coming. Like I said: when they need to give the tour a shot in the arm 'cause they've hit every region and interest is flagging... then we'll start hearing rumblings.

I want to believe that... but when is that exactly? Like first they can do the entire world over again just playing large arenas rather than stadiums. That's a further 3 year cycle from now.

Then they need to do something new. But something new could be some sort of UYI celebration or really anything that involves not doing new music very easily. Or co-headlining with a major act or something.

Or maybe just take a 3 year break then do the same thing as this cycle again. Or semi-retire but come out for big shows if the offer price is right - big festival gigs etc.

Without wanting to come off negative, there's reasonable evidence that 2018 Axl doesn't have the vocal power 2016 Axl did.

He's 56 and struggling to perform to the level he expects of himself, it makes you wonder if he would attempt the same stuff at 66, or if he would just retire from the loot from these tours. So if you think Axl might have 10 years left to really do anything, then factor in the 2 or 3 year retooling time between anything, and it looks like maybe we have one or two more cycle/projects left.

I hope i'm wrong.

elevendayempire

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
johndivney wrote:

There is no new music.

I want to believe that... but when is that exactly? Like first they can do the entire world over again just playing large arenas rather than stadiums. That's a further 3 year cycle from now.

Then they need to do something new. But something new could be some sort of UYI celebration or really anything that involves not doing new music very easily. Or co-headlining with a major act or something.

Or maybe just take a 3 year break then do the same thing as this cycle again. Or semi-retire but come out for big shows if the offer price is right - big festival gigs etc.

Without wanting to come off negative, there's reasonable evidence that 2018 Axl doesn't have the vocal power 2016 Axl did.

He's 56 and struggling to perform to the level he expects of himself, it makes you wonder if he would attempt the same stuff at 66, or if he would just retire from the loot from these tours. So if you think Axl might have 10 years left to really do anything, then factor in the 2 or 3 year retooling time between anything, and it looks like maybe we have one or two more cycle/projects left.

I hope i'm wrong.

The old "but Axl's getting too old and his voice is deteriorating" chestnut is magnificently irrelevant, really. The Chinese Democracy vault material was recorded over years, so it's not an issue on those songs. And if Slash and Duff contribute new material and Axl needs to sing on it? When he's not doling his voice out over a three-hour concert he's perfectly fine:

In a studio setting that's even more controlled, there's plenty of scope to marshal his voice.

As for the "keep the tour going in perpetuity" thing, yes that's an issue. But there does seem to be a genuine appetite among the band to do something; Slash, Axl and Fortus have all made statements to that effect.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The old "but Axl's getting too old and his voice is deteriorating" chestnut is magnificently irrelevant, really.

Not really...by many accounts there's only a few songs in the vault that had finished vocals....those would be good...but I wouldn't be surprised if Axl is unable to perform live at all in a few more years.

Just like Ac/Dc I think they have literally one more 3-5 year cycle in them and that's it.

elevendayempire

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The old "but Axl's getting too old and his voice is deteriorating" chestnut is magnificently irrelevant, really.

Not really...by many accounts there's only a few songs in the vault that had finished vocals....those would be good...but I wouldn't be surprised if Axl is unable to perform live at all in a few more years.

Just like Ac/Dc I think they have literally one more 3-5 year cycle in them and that's it.

Supposedly they had a whole album ready to go in, what, 2014/5? That self-titled one that Axl wanted to rush out before the reunion and the record company were all "lol no, we'll wait for the album with Slash on it, ta". Take the best tracks from that, overdub Slash and Duff, then add a few Slash/Duff-penned jams and boom: you've got an album.

elevendayempire

The real stumbling block as I see it is that whole "they owe the record company one more album before they're released from their deal" thing. Obviously business-savvy Axl, Duff and Slash recognise that the first GN'R reunion album is going to be the blockbuster that everyone buys, so they want complete ownership of it. But so does the record company. Presumably that's why Axl tried to offload Chinese Democracy 2 on them before the reunion was confirmed (and equally it's why the record company balked at it). They're at loggerheads.

Board footer