You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

apex-twin wrote:

Too easy to complain Axl messed around in a soundcheck.

A soundcheck is different from a rehearsal. All show up and the sound levels are adjusted, so that everybody gets a pocket in the front of house and can hear themselves in the monitors. Come showtime, the band will sound right on cue. It's mostly a formality, but a necessary one, as every venue has different acoustics and PA.

A rehearsal is a completely different beast. Sure, Ax prolly skipped a few in his time - and his did sound horrid at times at the VMA's.

But do refrain from equating soundchecks with rehearsals. Apples and oranges smile

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

I accept the rebuke.

But at the same time... it's essentially your public comeback. Might want to be a little more thorough.

Anyway... Water, bridges, history that is ancient.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

But at the same time... it's essentially your public comeback. Might want to be a little more thorough.

Like completing the album the ClearChannel US tour (in the works since 2001 or so) was to promote.

Moreover, I was under the impression that the VMA's were supposed to be about introducing the new band and launching the first single.

The wind was taken off Axl's sail in that. He knew going in there was no album coming - and he was legally obligated to tour either way.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Moreover, I was under the impression that the VMA's were supposed to be about introducing the new band and launching the first single.

imagine if the curtain peeled back and the band just launched right into chinese democracy (the song).

that would have been a MUCH better showing. if the extended solo w/ bucket was a thing by then, it would have showed off the entire band in a very positive light. axl, naturally, would have sounded a lot better as well.

the weird medley thing they did basically summed up the entire '02 fiasco in under 10 minutes. a bunch of random weirdos on stage playing appetite for destruction songs while axl embarrasses himself on multiple levels.

this band really had no identity. you can even tell with the shitty logos and merch they had back then. axl was throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and the only thing that stuck was buckethead, who he proceeded to drive out of the band within a few short years.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

esoterica wrote:

It was a mess, who really knows what happened or why.

I like the title track as much as the next guy who liked grunge and German pop metal but it is an average track on it's best day.

It makes for a phenomenally bad comeback and reintroduction.

Here's your perfect lead-in:

The place goes dark.

Radio feedback screeches over the speaker system.

Soft white noise.

More feedback.

Somethings coming in...

Archival clips flood the screens.

"Welcome to the Jung--- "

More feedback as the dial shifts.

"Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been missing..."

"---Youuuuu could beeeee mi iineeeee"

"... The Guns N' Roses frontman..."

"Sweet child solo....."

".... Missing for 10 years..."

The lights in the place start to search the place in a giant spotlight pattern.

"Where is Axl Rose?"

"WHERE IS AXL ROSE?"

"WHAT HAPPENED TO GUNS N ROSES?"

A frenzied wave of tones fill the arenas as the spotlight stops on center stage...

A shadowy figure approaches the microphone slowly.

He surveys the arena.

Pause.

NO ONE EVER TOLD ME WHEN

I WAS ALONE

THEY JUST THOUGHT

I'D KNOW BETTER

BETTER

The lights kick on right on the main riff... pyro cannons into the air...

Axl Rose returns, lean, cut, angry, dressed in tight black jeans, black gloves, a leather jacket, and vintage aviators.

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:

FUCK YEAH

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

It was a mess, who really knows what happened or why.

I like the title track as much as the next guy who liked grunge and German pop metal but it is an average track on it's best day.

It makes for a phenomenally bad comeback and reintroduction.

Here's your perfect lead-in:

The place goes dark.

Radio feedback screeches over the speaker system.

Soft white noise.

More feedback.

Somethings coming in...

Archival clips flood the screens.

"Welcome to the Jung--- "

More feedback as the dial shifts.

"Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose has been missing..."

"---Youuuuu could beeeee mi iineeeee"

"... The Guns N' Roses frontman..."

"Sweet child solo....."

".... Missing for 10 years..."

The lights in the place start to search the place in a giant spotlight pattern.

"Where is Axl Rose?"

"WHERE IS AXL ROSE?"

"WHAT HAPPENED TO GUNS N ROSES?"

A frenzied wave of tones fill the arenas as the spotlight stops on center stage...

A shadowy figure approaches the microphone slowly.

He surveys the arena.

Pause.

NO ONE EVER TOLD ME WHEN

I WAS ALONE

THEY JUST THOUGHT

I'D KNOW BETTER

BETTER

The lights kick on right on the main riff... pyro cannons into the air...

Axl Rose returns, lean, cut, angry, dressed in tight black jeans, black gloves, a leather jacket, and vintage aviators.

[/embed]

That would have to be 2004 onwards then smile Better was definitely not done by 2002.

Thatdude
 Rep: 0 

Thatdude wrote:

Can anybody help a dude out.  Haven't heard any of the recent stuff.

Would appreciate it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

dalethirsty wrote:

the weird medley thing they did basically summed up the entire '02 fiasco in under 10 minutes. a bunch of random weirdos on stage playing appetite for destruction songs while axl embarrasses himself on multiple levels.

this band really had no identity. you can even tell with the shitty logos and merch they had back then. axl was throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and the only thing that stuck was buckethead, who he proceeded to drive out of the band within a few short years.

Agree on the issue of no identity. It was a bunch of individual quirky musicians playing AFD. Never really felt like a band.

I disagree on the point that Bucket was the only thing that stuck. He epitomised the problem, far too much of a divergence from the original GNR image for most people. A virtuoso player that seemingly never really fitted in to the band environment, on stage or off it. Given time with a prompt release of an album and proper marketing then history may have remembered 02 differently. As it is the public got a snapshot of what the new GNR was about and it wasn’t favourable. A large part of that problem was the guy on the periphery of the stage with a mask and chicken bucket on his head. He was memorable for all the wrong reasons.

dalethirsty

dalethirsty wrote:

i don't think gnr's presentation of buckethead did him any favors.

he spent the majority of time just standing motionless on stage, sometimes not even playing a note or chord for extended periods of time.

what was he supposed to do? be the third guy on stage playing the welcome to the jungle riff? gn'r songs aren't that complex; there really wasn't much for bucket to do on must of the tunes. and for some reason, they gave robin got a bunch of solos on that tour. i could only imagine what was going through bucket's head at the time watching robin struggle through patience, sweet child and the november rain. good thing he was wearing a mask. bucket

if they let really let buckethead unleash as the star of the band in '01-'02, i think he could have gotten incredibly over with the fans.

instead, it looked like 3 goofballs trying to add up to slash.

Board footer