You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: LEAKS THREAD

slashsfro wrote:

I've been out of the loop here:

Can someone give me a brief rundown on what has been leaked?

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

I liked Finck. He had a real bluesy feel to his playing and his solos in The Blues were sublime. Ashba couldn’t match his still of play in this song, same with TIL - if I remember right he had to change part of Finck’s solo so he could play something else. Not to diss Ashba, I liked his playing just hated the Hulk Hogan stuff

Voodoochild
 Rep: 3 

Voodoochild wrote:

Robin's work in Better, TWAT and Street of Dreams are outstanding and way above anything Richard ever wrote IMO. It's kinda crazy when I see you guys dismissing his lead work.

AndreCC wrote:

Finck was not a Classic Rock player. He would have been good for the industrial sounding songs.

Just because he played in NIN? He wasn't supposed to be just a Classic Rock lead guitar, but he provided the most bluesy moments both live and in the album.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

This article by zombux lays out all the details: http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/220883- … able-info/

It's a terrific guide to everything the band recorded in the studio. Scroll down to the last few entries, following the one for Chinese Democracy.
It explains the most recent leaks.

AndreCC
 Rep: 0 

AndreCC wrote:
Voodoochild wrote:

Robin's work in Better, TWAT and Street of Dreams are outstanding and way above anything Richard ever wrote IMO. It's kinda crazy when I see you guys dismissing his lead work.

AndreCC wrote:

Finck was not a Classic Rock player. He would have been good for the industrial sounding songs.

Just because he played in NIN? He wasn't supposed to be just a Classic Rock lead guitar, but he provided the most bluesy moments both live and in the album.

Yes. He tried to adapt and did a so so job doing the bluesy parts, but that was not his original style at all, which is why I think he didn't fit the band. The better solos are very good though.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I would have used Robin as the Rhythm player and let him play an occasional lead - such his stuff on Better, SOD etc.

Sort of like Brad Whitford - he isn't joe perry but yet plays quite a few of the more memorable leads.

I think Robin's CD solos were pretty good, but he simply wasn't good at emulating slash's parts. I'm not sure if it was by design or simply that he didnt have the chops...but it was a major problem considering something like 90% of the set was Slash parts.

They could have left the Slash leads to someone more suited to the style, then let Robin do his lead licks on the 'new' songs.

I think this would have got the band over a lot better with the general public...a huge amount of the "Axl and the guys who aint slash" reviews were simply because the guitar parts often sounded worse than local cover bands.

AndreCC

AndreCC wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I would have used Robin as the Rhythm player and let him play an occasional lead - such his stuff on Better, SOD etc.

Sort of like Brad Whitford - he isn't joe perry but yet plays quite a few of the more memorable leads.

I think Robin's CD solos were pretty good, but he simply wasn't good at emulating slash's parts. I'm not sure if it was by design or simply that he didnt have the chops...but it was a major problem considering something like 90% of the set was Slash parts.

They could have left the Slash leads to someone more suited to the style, then let Robin do his lead licks on the 'new' songs.

I think this would have got the band over a lot better with the general public...a huge amount of the "Axl and the guys who aint slash" reviews were simply because the guitar parts often sounded worse than local cover bands.

He clearly doesn't have the chops, neither did anyone from the NEW GNR era, not even Buckethead. The styles are just different and don't match. The closest one to Slash was Ashba because he would try to play it note by note, but still wasn't close enough.

Robin would have been a decent rhythm guitar player for New GNR, but the thing with guitarists, much like frontmen, they also have an ego, and no one wanted to play Rhythm besides Fortus. Fortus was an unknown humble guitar player by then. He was given a great gig and he didn't mind. It was great enough for him, to make a name for himself.
Robin and Buckethead were established guitar players by then. Robin played in NIN songs and toured with them and Buckethead had an established solo career and played with Primus as well. So they all wanted to be Lead, cause they know that's where the spotlight and where the money is.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
AndreCC wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

He clearly doesn't have the chops, neither did anyone from the NEW GNR era, not even Buckethead. The styles are just different and don't match. The closest one to Slash was Ashba because he would try to play it note by note, but still wasn't close enough.

Robin would have been a decent rhythm guitar player for New GNR, but the thing with guitarists, much like frontmen, they also have an ego, and no one wanted to play Rhythm besides Fortus. Fortus was an unknown humble guitar player by then. He was given a great gig and he didn't mind. It was great enough for him, to make a name for himself.
Robin and Buckethead were established guitar players by then. Robin played in NIN songs and toured with them and Buckethead had an established solo career and played with Primus as well. So they all wanted to be Lead, cause they know that's where the spotlight and where the money is.

BH easily had the chops, BH is way better than slash sorry. BHs nighttrain outro is better than slash's.   

If BH wanted to, he could play slashs parts note for note, and sound just like him but BH easily gets bored and would change things up all the time.  That is why he pretty much never played the same madagascar solo twice.

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:

well BH even kept changing the Nightrain solo all the time. in 2002 there's probably no Nightrain solo the same as any other. he was a madman.

CubanSkies

CubanSkies wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

2001 HOB Pro-shot
2010 Puerto Rico Pro-shot
Silkworms and Re-worked OMG
Remixes of TIL, ITW, SR
Phone recording of The General
2001 demos of TWAT and SOD

Board footer