You are not logged in. Please register or login.

esoterica
 Rep: 69 

Re: Guns N' Roses tour to continue through 2017(and beyond)

esoterica wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

2021: team brazil negotiates with record label

Record label:

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ 16

Seriously though - it's normal for them to have some negotiation time.

Like CD came out in 2008 but re-recording was done in 2006 or so.

Slash started talking to Axl circa 2014 but reunion happened 2016.

AFD Deluxe came out 2018 not for 2017 anniversary.

I would factor in at least 12-18 months of business bullshit in anything associated with Axl's people.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Some, for sure.

NITL, for one. Slash gleefully planted their reconciliation to the media as public knowledge. Very simple. The reporter is told beforehand that Slash and Ax are friends again. What happens;

Slash wrote:

"I've heard that you made friends with Axl Rose again. How was that possible after all those years?" a reporter asked him.

"It was probably way overdue, you know, but it's, it's, it's, you know, it's very cool at this point, to...dispell some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long." -Aug 22nd, 2015

That's about 8 months before the Coachella shows. Axl's still a big unknown at that point. The last future plan from him was Stay of Execution, and it was trademarked in June 2014, when the Ashba/BBF -lineup called it a day with another Vegas residency. So, in a year, Axl had gone from SOE to NITL.

I would say that by August, Axl was game to do some shows together. He was likely in on the deal that Slash would 'leak' the news in a throwaway comment or two, before shutting up as Coachella became official.

To a degree, I think NITL was pre-booked and contracted. You don't just come up with a tour that big. However, knowing their history, smart money would be to try it out at Coachella.

Axl probably learned about NITL after Coachella, tho 16

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

I dunno.

Axl looked to be in full grandpa mode January 2016. Slash said it was just that one gig. And of course Axl’s infamous Taco Bell tweet. A wry dad humor joke? Axl’s reticence of stepping back into the public light? Or was he strong armed into that show like everything else?

I’m sure big money had the tour planned out but understood it could all fall apart. Who knows with these bullshit artists.

As for new music? Who knows on that either.

The situation with the label changed somewhat regarding Slash and Duff’s rejoining and the skyrocket in brand value but the two elephants in the room are what the record company thinks/thought of CD2 and what the contract actually is. And then there’s the standard stuff of lining up available monies for marquee acts and standard contract negotiations which is not so standard with Axl. This again, assuming there’s music to be released and not created from the ground up.

If it’s not there start of the tour 2020, there’s no point, and even then it’s questionable.

CSS 2.0
 Rep: 35 

CSS 2.0 wrote:

All I know is that I'll be dead before "new" music is officially released by Guns N' Roses.

If they're going to continue touring Axl desperately needs to shed some pounds (along with hiring/maintaining a vocal coach), he's clearly been struggling and it's not gonna get any easier 2 or 3 years from now.

I've seen them twice and enjoyed both dates very much but it's clear 2017 was better than 2018 - by a fair margin.

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

In a perfect world, Axl would be gearing up for one last bite at the apple while Slash tours, ie getting in shape, prepping the record, and negotiating with the label.

We’ve been having these fever dreams for a solid decade so ya know, probably not gonna happen.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

apex-twin wrote:

Some, for sure.

NITL, for one. Slash gleefully planted their reconciliation to the media as public knowledge. Very simple. The reporter is told beforehand that Slash and Ax are friends again. What happens;

Slash wrote:

"I've heard that you made friends with Axl Rose again. How was that possible after all those years?" a reporter asked him.

"It was probably way overdue, you know, but it's, it's, it's, you know, it's very cool at this point, to...dispell some of that negative stuff that was going on for so long." -Aug 22nd, 2015

That's about 8 months before the Coachella shows. Axl's still a big unknown at that point. The last future plan from him was Stay of Execution, and it was trademarked in June 2014, when the Ashba/BBF -lineup called it a day with another Vegas residency. So, in a year, Axl had gone from SOE to NITL.

I would say that by August, Axl was game to do some shows together. He was likely in on the deal that Slash would 'leak' the news in a throwaway comment or two, before shutting up as Coachella became official.

To a degree, I think NITL was pre-booked and contracted. You don't just come up with a tour that big. However, knowing their history, smart money would be to try it out at Coachella.

Axl probably learned about NITL after Coachella, tho 16

According to Slash, the first time they spoke was over the phone in March 2015.

Axls version of events is that Coachella put the feelers out on a headlining slot with the reunited band. It seemed a genuine offer so they made contact with Slash’s people.

My guess would be with no guitarists left and CD2 or whatever SOE was dead in the water the big bucks on the table for Coachella looked much more appealing. TB spoke with Slash’s management and a phone call was set up between the two in March whilst Slash was in South America with the Conspirators.

So I’d say Axl was game for a reunion a full 12 months prior to the Troubadour shows. Perhaps even longer as it seems it was he who sought the reconciliation.

I’ve also noticed Slash’s tone regarding new material seems to have warmed over the past few weeks. The most dismissive he seems to be in the interview he gave just prior to Download (RS?). More recent interviews that have been conducted and published post the summer tour he seems a lot more positve about the idea. Hopefully that’s following some sort of conversation or green light from Axl that new music is on the agenda.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Thanks APE, that looks quite plausible.

A Private Eye wrote:

My guess would be with no guitarists left and CD2 or whatever SOE was dead in the water the big bucks on the table for Coachella looked much more appealing.

No doubt it played a big part.

A Private Eye wrote:

According to Slash, the first time they spoke was over the phone in March 2015.

Ashba announced his exit in late July 2015. This suggests he saw the writing on the wall, as in, Slash coming in to replace Bumblefoot. Gotta hand it to DJ, he must've realized it was his fight to lose. Tommy was veering out anyway, with Duff already subbing for him in 2014.

In light of this, SOE (w/ Ashba, maybe Duff) seemed like a genuine option somewhere in between June 2014 and March 2015.  Only it's easier to tour for money.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Wow. Busy up in here!!!

End of 2019 GNR must record!!

esoterica

esoterica wrote:

You ever see that movie The Break-Up with Vince Vaughan and Rachel from Friends?

The funny (sad) thing is the rift between Axl and Slash was exactly like that.

Petty bullshit that just snowballed and spiraled out of control.

6-8 years wasted.

Board footer