You are not logged in. Please register or login.

julia (babydolls)
 Rep: 6 

Re: S.O.P.H.I.E

Uk posters may already know about this case - this was a horrendous attack on a guy  (Robert Maltby)and then on his girlfriend (Sophie Lancaster) as she tried to protect him.  Sophie did not survive this attack.

"While returning home, Lancaster and Maltby were subjected to a "vicious mob attack" from "a large group of people" between 01:10 hours and 01:20 hours on Saturday, 11 August 2007, at the skate park area of Stubby Lee Park, Bacup.[2] The couple were walking home and came across a group of teenagers at the entrance to the park. The group followed them but there was no trouble until some of them suddenly assaulted Robert Maltby without provocation. When he was knocked unconscious the gang attacked Sophie Lancaster, who was trying to protect him by cradling him in her arms. A 15-year-old witness told police: "They were running over and just kicking her in the head and jumping up and down on her head." One distraught witness used a mobile to call for emergency services saying: "We need, we need an ambulance at Bacup Park, this mosher has just been banged because he's a mosher." [5] Witnesses revealed that afterwards "The killers celebrated their attack on the goths - or "moshers" - by telling friends afterwards that they had "done summat [something] good", and claiming: "There's two moshers nearly dead up Bacup park - you wanna see them - they're a right mess." [6] The injured couple were assisted by some of the teenagers who called emergency services and then stayed with the couple and tried to tend their wounds. At the trial they were commended by the judge.[7]

Police said soon afterwards it was "a sustained attack during the course of which the pair received serious head injuries and their faces were so swollen we could not ascertain which one was female and which one was male." Both were hospitalised as a result of the attack, first at Rochdale Infirmary.[1] Maltby's injuries left him in a coma with bleeding on the brain, but he gradually recovered over the next two weeks. Lancaster, in a deep coma, was moved to Fairfield Hospital in Bury, then to the Neurology unit at Hope Hospital in Salford. It became clear to hospital staff she would not recover from her injuries and on August 24, 2007 her family agreed to switch off life support and Lancaster died.[3]

Detective Supt Mick Gradwell, of Lancashire Police said it was "one of the most violent murders he had come across in his lengthy career. I do not think Herbert and Harris (accused) have recognised how violent the attack was. They have just done it without thinking but they have seemed to have enjoyed it and carried on remorselessly kicking at two very defenceless people who were unable to protect themselves because of the level of violence inflicted upon them... I am very critical of some of the parents involved. I really don't think they have taken completely seriously how repulsive this incident was..." He said that when Harris was initially interviewed about the assaults he was "laughing and joking" with his mother."

The above is from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophie_Lancaster  - there are many newspaper articles on this attack - wiki summarised it well.

Those that committed and were arrested for this crime were 5 boys between the ages of 15 and 17 (although it seems there were at least 20 in the group - not all involved directly with the attack).
I am sure there are many instances of people being attacked verbally and physically for how they dress/the music they listen to etc - which is an absolute tragedy. Everyone should be able to express their identity and musical/artistic etc preferences without the anguish of unprovoked attacks as these.  I would urge people to think twice before ridiculing anyone for their choice of clothes/hairstyle/music taste etc - it can soon become a "pack mentality" and can lead to horrors as above.  A special fund was set up in Sophie's memory:
S.O.P.H.I.E -  Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere

This is sooo terrible.   I hate people sometimes, I really, really do, I hate people that do this shit and they don't even realize how terrible what they did is [just like the teens that beat up that girl on video], which is even more repulsing.

What kind of sentence did these kids get?

julia (babydolls)

I should also mention Sophie was 20 and her boyfriend Robert was 21 - and the little shits that did this were 15 to 17.  It seems that Brenden Harris (15 at time of attack) was charged with murder (he plead not guilty to murder btw) and Ryan Herbert plead guilty to murder.  3 others (2 are 17 and one 16) have had the murder charge dropped (not sure if they got charged with GBH).  As far as I can see, all of their sentences will be announced on April 28th - the judge is heading for life sentences for Harris and Herbert - but sadly in the UK (thanks to human rights laws) life sentences are paltry and offenders often released early.  I'll update when the sentences are passed.  They are also being charged for GBH to Robert Maltby (Sophie's boyfriend) - he is still recovering from the attack and has no memory of it.

It sickens to the stomach doesnt it.

It's totally sickening.   They all should get something, if the two ring leaders get life and hopefully stay there for life, it will send a message to the others.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Sophie Lancaster is a modern-day martyr for the Goth subculture, yet the circumstances leading to her death check pretty much all the boxes of any non-provoked hate crime. It's a sad thing that even the 21st century generation of the Western world hasn't completely come to terms with people who differ from themselves. Even if one wouldn't let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch, Sophie had a life going for herself, a life which was taken away for no reason. Hopefully the UK officials won't resort to Thatcherism by suggesting this is an isolated incident and has no resonance on a larger scale, and will take steps to send out a signal that there may be some serious problems bubbling under in various youth factions, which will be dealt with accordingly to prevent any further tragedies.

If there could be one good thing found in the death of Sophie, raising awareness on the problem that contributed to her death would be it. However, we only have one life to part with, and in all honesty I doubt the powers that be would stand up the way they should just for her, as they've had an ample amount of opportunities to do so earlier on, with or without unnecessary bloodshed splattered across the headlines.

julia (babydolls)

Well said sic.
Sentences were passed yesterday. Harris and Herbert both got "life" which translates to 18 years and 16 years minimum and the other three got between 4 - 6 years. 

Should a life sentence mean life?  Is there a set number of years in other countries justice systems that denotes a "life sentence" ?  And what is the liklihood of those "lifers" getting out early?  In the UK - there seems to often be early releases for criminals and judges are pressed into giving community service sentences due to... wait for it.... lack of prison space...

Board footer