You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Re: The Context of How Old Some of these Tracks Are

Gagarin wrote:

The dates on these CD's line up to the first time I listened to Use Your Illusion I and II and read about Chinese Democracy's existence.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

wasted wrote:

Bucket being so ahead does make this stuff seem fresh, they don’t have the sound  that dates them to the nu metal era. It has a 80s horror feel, but when it’s mixed with Axl’s piano/vocals. Even Bucket is bringing the Zepp on Quick Song. That jazzy interlude into the rocking bit is Zepp to Bungle. That weird organ is so Zepp. Elvis and Zodiac have this 90s movie soundtrack epic feel. Damn can’t believe how good all this is. With Hardschool and Oklahoma they are all set for Rocky 4 rockers. Perhaps, Nothing, Grace a lot of depth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
wasted2019-2028 wrote:

Bucket being so ahead does make this stuff seem fresh, they don’t have the sound  that dates them to the nu metal era. It has a 80s horror feel, but when it’s mixed with Axl’s piano/vocals. Even Bucket is bringing the Zepp on Quick Song. That jazzy interlude into the rocking bit is Zepp to Bungle. That weird organ is so Zepp. Elvis and Zodiac have this 90s movie soundtrack epic feel. Damn can’t believe how good all this is. With Hardschool and Oklahoma they are all set for Rocky 4 rockers. Perhaps, Nothing, Grace a lot of depth.

Absolutely. I hear Tool, bits of old school RHCP, some cool throwback 80s metal and New Wave, some Soundgarden/Nirvana grunge, a little Zep and King Crimson. Oddly enough, I even hear a little Cure and Depeche Mode at some points. And there's definitely a movie soundtrack vibe to some of these songs, especially Angelo Badalamenti.

Sky Dog wrote:

Radiohead influence as well. Ok Computer (1997) was a very influential album during the formation of the new band.

AtariLegend wrote:

I forgot about Radiohead somehow.

Yeah, can certainly here some of it from disc 4 for example.

Ok Computer was a big deal that was released around the start of these sessions. June 97.

There was that story too of Axl going to one of their gigs during those years. Also this:

http://www.alternativenation.net/axl-ro … -revealed/

Sky Dog wrote:

Nice find on the Gary Sunshine quotes (assuming they are real despite the source). I love Radiohead. Ok Computer is in my top 10 favorite albums of all time. To me, it is every bit as good as Dark Side of the Moon. It is a true masterpiece of the modern rock era.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Bill Clinton was president when the tracks on RM1-4 were mixed.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I'm late to the convo, but...

I think the album in 2000 would have sold enough to keep the lineup together. To inspire them to create new songs together. To get people used to the new GNR.

Build a new fanbase. Etc.

The exact amount it would have sold isn't too important. Releasing in 2000 would have allowed another album and some band cohesion at least.

wasted

wasted wrote:

There’s always something retro to GNR albums. So the next one would be 00s in the 20s, like AFD was 70s in the 80s, CD was 90s in the 00s.

I think that there’s enough material there, even stuff like Zodiac that if Slash got into they could turn it into a UYI for 2020s. Slash and Duff will bring back the sound and Axl can still do his progressive, even understated stuff like Nothing and strokes of genius like Atlas, Soul Monster seems like it has that epic ness.

wasted

wasted wrote:
-Jack- wrote:

I'm late to the convo, but...

I think the album in 2000 would have sold enough to keep the lineup together. To inspire them to create new songs together. To get people used to the new GNR.

Build a new fanbase. Etc.

The exact amount it would have sold isn't too important. Releasing in 2000 would have allowed another album and some band cohesion at least.

I remember something like in 2000 average rock records sold 4 mil. CD was expected to sell maybe a little more. But as Zutaut said the rec comp wanted to sell 20 million copies. There was always this back ground of getting Slash back. But also it was the Eminem era, GNR weren’t the biggest band on the books. My guess is the rec comp weren’t giving Axl’s new Guns a run of records. 1 record and sell 6-7 mil then do a reunion in 2004. When that didn’t happen Slash set off with VR. The whole industry was against Axl’s new band taking off. Even on release day Azzof was sabotaging it to get a reunion. Not sure if Axl was ever going to be Ozzy, maybe like a Diamond Dave, doing solo records and being seen as eccentric. GNR was kind of a creative prison for Axl, in a good way sometimes, but sometimes there’s a feeling of loss.

Board footer