You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Wrestling thread

AtariLegend wrote:

Don't watch regularly, haven't for years. Had to check out last night's main event after reading about it.

Beyond hillariously bad. Fans own fault for buying tickets imo.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Don't watch regularly, haven't for years. Had to check out last night's main event after reading about it.

Beyond hillariously bad. Fans own fault for buying tickets imo.

I haven't seen it yet.  But I figured it must be pretty bad when the crowd is chanting for a rival promotion.  Vince McMahon thought the crowd reaction was funny.  That's how out of touch he is.

PotatoSalad
 Rep: 0 

PotatoSalad wrote:

I watched the Friday debut of Smackdown on Fox which was supposed to be a big deal since it's in primetime on a big network.  What a disappointment.  It was the typical rare appearance of The Rock where he belittles the guy that shows up regularly and beats him down with his signature moves and makes him look weak.  The rest of the show with the exception of the women's tag match wasn't all that great either.  And even though I'm a fan of Lesnar, a squash match for the title on the Fox primetime debut show was dumb at best.  It says a lot too when they have to make a big deal of bringing in someone from the UFC to be a threat to Brock when they can't make anyone on their regular roster one.

I didn't watch last nights show and I don't know what the controversy was, but it's pathetic what has become of his company.  Look at all of the other wrestling companies Vince McMahon put out of business.  Yes, several of those other companies had bad business practices, but he didn't become the number one promoter by being a total idiot.  Yet for how long they've been able to book competent shows, even with the likes of Paul Heyman working for him.  It's sad.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I still enjoy watching WWE. Yeh it can be shitty at times but thats what makes it worth watching - sometimes its so bad that its actually funny, like the ending to HIAC where the crowd was so pissed 14

@PotatoSalad I mostly agree with your Smackdown review. My girlfriend loved seeing the Rock come back, but I thought the whole segment was wasted. Was probably an honour for Corbin to work with someone like the Rock, and it says a lot I guess that WWE would choose to put him in the ring with him - but none of it really made any sense 17

I liked the Kofi match though, that was pretty entertaining big_smile

PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad wrote:

I just read what happened in the main event at Hell In A Cell and I'm reminded of when they decided to introduce disqualifications to the WWE version of ECW.  And from the sounds of it the Rollins-Wyatt match got the same reaction as the infamous Big Show-Batista ECW match, at least at the end.

I was a hardcore wrestling fan that had to watch from start to finish.  Eventually I felt that it started to go downhill, probably after the Invasion angle.  I had hopes when they said they were going to bring back ECW since both One Night Stand PPVs were good, but then I saw the show on Sci-Fi.  I also had hope when it was announced that Hogan and Bischoff were going to TNA, but then we saw how that turned out.  I keep hoping for the best with wrestling but they end up dropping the ball. 

But with that said I'll probably always be a wrestling fan, just not as hardcore.  Before the whole show would be worth watching to me, and if you told me years ago that there would be the WWE Network and at least five hours of of new wrestling every week, I'd need to change my underwear.  Now it doesn't get me nearly as excited, but even if the overall product doesn't interest me I find there's at least one thing that's worth watching.  The women's tag match on Smackdown last week was good IMO.  I don't know that I'll watch the whole show this Friday, but I'll probably give part of it a watch at least.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
PotatoSalad wrote:

I just read what happened in the main event at Hell In A Cell and I'm reminded of when they decided to introduce disqualifications to the WWE version of ECW.  And from the sounds of it the Rollins-Wyatt match got the same reaction as the infamous Big Show-Batista ECW match, at least at the end.

I was a hardcore wrestling fan that had to watch from start to finish.  Eventually I felt that it started to go downhill, probably after the Invasion angle.  I had hopes when they said they were going to bring back ECW since both One Night Stand PPVs were good, but then I saw the show on Sci-Fi.  I also had hope when it was announced that Hogan and Bischoff were going to TNA, but then we saw how that turned out.  I keep hoping for the best with wrestling but they end up dropping the ball. 

But with that said I'll probably always be a wrestling fan, just not as hardcore.  Before the whole show would be worth watching to me, and if you told me years ago that there would be the WWE Network and at least five hours of of new wrestling every week, I'd need to change my underwear.  Now it doesn't get me nearly as excited, but even if the overall product doesn't interest me I find there's at least one thing that's worth watching.  The women's tag match on Smackdown last week was good IMO.  I don't know that I'll watch the whole show this Friday, but I'll probably give part of it a watch at least.

This is close to where I'm at as well.  I watched the stuff in the 90s almost religiously.  At some point, I just started reading the results.  It's just not as interesting even though the people wrestling now are probably better athletes.

The ECW Sci Fi show wasn't that bad--if you just accepted it as sort of a show that featured underused (or underpushed) WWE wrestlers.  Labeling it as "ECW" was an excuse. 

The characters just aren't as interesting.  Plus WWE has this annoying match/formula that I find boring.  I watched some of AEW and came away sort of impressed.  It was wrestling without the BS of the WWE plus high production values.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

For me, the worst thing to happen to wrestling was Shawn Michaels finding Jesus.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

The "E" has seemed to develop a knack for killing red hot characters. Unfortunately the Fiend is the latest. IMO the Fiend (outside the womens division) was one of the only entertaining aspects of the current WWE product. I didn't see the match, but based on all descriptions, I'm fortunate not to have. I really hope AEW thrives and provides a viable alternative for good wrestling ideas to prosper.

PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad wrote:

I'm a few days late but I watched last week's episode of Smackdown, though I mostly had it on as background noise.  I think maybe since they're on Fox in prime time the network has been forcing them to put on a better show.  I wouldn't say it was a great show but I've seen a lot worse from them.  The draft room reactions were corny and matches ending in DQ suck, but I'm glad that Baley destroyed those inflatable fucks!

PotatoSalad

PotatoSalad wrote:

I read that Eric Bischoff was fired from running Smackdown and Bruce Prichard, aka Brother Love, has been hired to take his place.  It will be interesting to see how different the show will be.  One reason I read that Bischoff was fired was due to the ratings dropping with the second Fox show.

Board footer