You are not logged in. Please register or login.

wasted
 Rep: 4 

Re: The United Kingdom General Election, 2nd May 2024

wasted wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Thing is if Labour had pulled their thumb out of their arse and ditched Corbyn a year or so ago they’d have a real chance. Distrust in Boris is high but very few see Corbyn as PM material. There’s some capable people in the shadow cabinet.

The silver lining of a Boris win would be it would hopefully signal the end of Corbyn.

You can get rid off Corbyn with a hung parliment too.

This is the last chance to stop Brexit. That's the selling point.

It'd force a second referendum.

That’s how I see it. But they aren’t running on that. To me that should be out front. Save the UK. But they are scaring everyone with tax hikes. But I mean most people will benefit from Corbyn’s policies even if he isn’t George Clooney.

Overall it’s all fly by night short term stuff. Wild swings one way then another.

Another plan is let the Tories handle
Brexit, it will be a mess then in 5 years everyone will be begging for something else.

AtariLegend wrote:

Tax hikes on people earning 80k?

Despite the press coverage, you actually need to be in the top 3% to earn that, not even 5%.

Tbh even if it was a few percent on lower earners, it'd be worth it for public services the Tories took an axe too.

wasted

wasted wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

Tax hikes on people earning 80k?

Despite the press coverage, you actually need to be in the top 3% to earn that, not even 5%.

Tbh even if it was a few percent on lower earners, it'd be worth it for public services the Tories took an axe too.

So what are the downsides? This is what I was saying before. Why not get free stuff?

I know some of it is on principle. Sales people think they are generating wealth but it’s all borrowed money in the first place. Financial services, lawyers - it’s all fictional. It’s not what people really need.

Fiddling around with rules isn’t really that important. It’s rich people not feeling as important as they think they are. They think they can get better deals for themselves. Seems like ruling elites’ money is slipping away. They see the EU growing and they want out. Boris doesn’t even a need a job. He’s from a rich family. So he wants power. He’s there repping rich people.

At first I thought Labour would be spending and the national debt was a real issue. But it’s not. Tories are going to spend a ton and with all the losses from Brexit it’s an even bigger hole to dig out of. But that’s not for the rich, it’s the rabble that are going to have work it out. And my guess is we can’t.

My new theory is Tories are for taking back control, they’d rather be poor kings than rich slaves. Labour is a vote to actually get something out of the system for people that need it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

AtariLegend wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Thing is if Labour had pulled their thumb out of their arse and ditched Corbyn a year or so ago they’d have a real chance. Distrust in Boris is high but very few see Corbyn as PM material. There’s some capable people in the shadow cabinet.

The silver lining of a Boris win would be it would hopefully signal the end of Corbyn.

You can get rid off Corbyn with a hung parliment too.

This is the last chance to stop Brexit. That's the selling point.

It'd force a second referendum.

Which is exactly where Labour are going wrong imo. Tories are front and centre on where they stand with Brexit, Labour have stuck with ‘for the many’ bullshit. It’s been dubbed a brexit election and they treat it like an afterthought. The incessant fence sitting will be their downfall. What’s wrong with Corbyn someone asked, nothing if you like being runners up. The guys not a leader he’s a ditherer. Fridays terrorist attack will help the Tories as well I think.

Their position on rich v poor is also too far left imo. There’s a reason Blairs labour did so well, they left some room for those who aspired to climb the earning ladder to do so without being classed as ‘the enemy’ if they did.

I can’t vote Tory, Labour are useless and the Lib Dems won’t win. I’m politically homeless. If it wasn’t so important I honestly might not have voted this time.

wasted

wasted wrote:

Labour should really be pointing out how bad Brexit will be for people.

Someone should have mentioned this in the first referendum.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'll have a response for ape when I have some more time.

wasted wrote:

Labour should really be pointing out how bad Brexit will be for people.

Someone should have mentioned this in the first referendum.

Yep.

Corbyn did actually campaign for remain, it's just no one remembers it...and half the campaign was Cameroon vs. Boris. It became a quazi referendum on Cameroon (not googling or using spellcheck). It was clear he'd have to resign if he lost.

I do think Corbyn if he was pm (which is pretty unlikely) should be neutral, otherwise it's a referendum on him. However the Labour party should not. The problem is the decesion was made too late.

On taxes, I do agree with taxing higher earners more... however going on about rich vs poor as an issue is getting tireing.

The constant obession with the twitter birgade on zionism too. I fully support a 2 state result (clearly never happening though) and banning arm sales. However I don't get why this has to be one of the big issues, let's worry about the UK instead?

imo Lib Dems are just as the Tories. It's worth pointing out that some polls are getting tigh. Hung parli is still in play and it's the best case scenario that's realistic imo.

End of Corbyn (hopefully not mist of the policies though) and traps Johnson... in a no win situation where a second referendum is the only outcome.

However I do fear the polls are wrong and the Tories get almost 50% of the vote. Meaning all hope is lost.

wasted

wasted wrote:

Basically the Tories offered the referendum as a bribe to vote for them. Cameron didn’t expect Leave to win. But Boris and Farage were swinging in that campaign.

Boris and Cameron have been enemies since university. They both just wanted to be PM. Boris obviously has no idea what leaving the EU means. And maybe it doesn’t matter. Who knows the future, but it’s a wild, isolating move. We don’t make anything, so being great isn’t going to happen as much as people want it. So they better get much better deals internationally. That is what you’d Hope the Tories can do. Labour should be about staying in the EU and taking the immigration for unlimited borrowing from the world bank. What I don’t get is why everyone suddenly wanted to throw that away? Is it because they got their welfare cut? No jobs, no welfare...throw in cultural and racism issues of immigration and older people still thinking we should be empire.

But basically EU was stability, not great but stable, leaving anything could happen. And it will take 10-20 years to sort it out.

Ah Corbyn is saying banning selling weapons? Well that’s him done then because as we’ve seen in the US you cannot beat the MIC. So is that why he’s accused of anti Semitism? He’s going up against big banks and business?

I’m conflicted because some of Brexit makes sense if you want to run a successful country, but it seems ambitious, it will take years for ordinary people to get anything. The free ride is over. Mediocre is over. And that makes sense, look at the rest of the world, everywhere is a mess. Is it better in Mexico than the UK?

The problem with taxing the rich is they just do less or find loopholes. And it’s never enough to plug all the holes. It just throttles business. Also minimum wage just means you don’t get a job. I worked in kitchens below minimum wage. I did get a burger and drink everyday though. It was better than no job. Now they will just use a machine to wash dishes!

I kind of admire the ambition of Brexit but doubt it’s going to work. I feel like Labour will look after more people, even though some of seems a little naive. I would go for a new credit card over trying to start a new business. If we Leave I’m going to start a Keto diet delivery service from my room.

AtariLegend wrote:

Latest weekend polls: The conservatives have extended their lead and Labour seem to be moving backwards.

Everything suggests Tory landslide and historical Labour defeat.

This will help me give up on politics.

wasted

wasted wrote:

I’ve seen headlines saying tactical voting might stop the Tory majority so another referendum will happen anyway.

I’m more like what’s the difference? Both sides are going to chuck money at everything. Neither side can really sort it out. I’m not even sure I know what the problem is. There’s always going to be a set of circumstances to navigate. We are the end of empire. Hopefully it doesn’t get too bad.

Sky Dog wrote:

The problem is ALWAYS about money and greed. 4

Board footer