You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: Covid 19

Yamcha wrote:

^ I would punch her too.

I went to town today, for like, the first time in over 2 weeks and it's incredible how things have changed. There are less people on the streets and shops are unusually quiet. I saw some men share some hand sanitiser at Mc Donald's before having their meal together. Not sure how it's going to stop them from getting sick if they sit face to face and talk and spit in each others' face. 16 Personally I would not put this gluey stuff on my hands just before eating. I would rather use regular soap.

Waitrose at about 2 pm:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2505.jpg

High street sights

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2506.jpg

Asda just before 7 pm: no toilet rolls, no pasta, no soap.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2507.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2508.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2509.jpg

I still haven't been to the shop for the sake of stocking up. Hopefully I won't regret my decision.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

Gilbert DERAY, Hôpital Pitié-Salpêtrière, Paris

coronavirus, watch out danger, but not who you believe.

For the past 30 years, from my hospital observatory, I have experienced many health crises, HIV, SARS, SEAS, TB outbreak, multi-resistant bacteria, we managed them in calm and very effectively.
None has given rise to the current panic.
I've never experienced such a degree of concern for an infectious disease and for any other.
And yet, I'm not worried about the medical consequences of the coronavirus. Nothing in the current figures on the death and spread of the virus justifies global health and above all economic panic.
The measures taken are adapted and effective and will allow for the control of the epidemic. This is already the case in China, the original home and by far the most important of this infectious agent, where the epidemic is going to be extinct.
The near future will tell if I was wrong.
On the other hand,
• I am concerned about masks flights and that those needed to protect caregivers and people at risk, our old and those who are already sick, especially immunocompromised patients, will be distributed for zero efficiency at airports, coffee shops and the shopping malls.
• I'm worried about cleaning gel cleaners.
• I'm worried about these brawls to buy toilet paper and rice and pasta boxes.
• I am worried about this terror that leads to making obscene stocks of food in countries where it is available in an equally obscene abundance.
• I am worried about our elders already alone and that we should not see or touch for fear of killing them. They will die faster but "only" of loneliness. We used not to visit our parents and grandparents if we had the flu, not to avoid them "in case" and for an indefinite period, it's nothing different for the coronavirus
• I am concerned that health will become an object of war and conflict like any other, when it should be an ultimate cause of struggle in the rally.
• I am concerned that our health system, already in great difficulties, will soon be overwhelmed by an flood of sick people at the slightest sign of flu syndrome. It is then all the other diseases that we will not be able to take care of. A heart attack or appendicitis are always emergency, a virus rarely.
The media coverage on the coronavirus is very anxiety and it takes part in everyone's panic.
This leads to the craziest conspiracy theories of the kind, "they're hiding something from us". Nothing is dark, it's impossible in medicine in this digital world where scientific knowledge is immediate and without filter.
The coronavirus kills (almost) only the already fragile bodies.
I am worried that this tiny living being will only reveal the huge fracture and weaknesses of our societies. The deaths that will then count by millions will be those of the clash of individuals in total indifference of the collective interest.

AtariLegend wrote:

US introducing a travel ban with the EU.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Apparently the White House has ordered discussions about the virus classified. That sure is reassuring.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

I remember walking home with a friend in middle school. He was afraid of SARS. His mom freaked him out about it. I told him not to worry.

People panic. SARS and coronavirus aren’t apples to apples but jeez. Statistically the odds of dying of it are TINY.

The media should blow it up a little to make people aware. But it’s up to people to think statistically and act accordingly. Ask yourself if it’s really something to worry about. 99% of the panic is from people who will not be effected...

I don’t want to say it’s overblown but... it’s driving me nuts lol. Maybe I’m not wired to care.

We should try to contain it.
News about it is fine.
Let’s be calm.

Just imo folks. Hope everyone is doing great/surviving out there. Cheers.

AtariLegend wrote:

Read Tom Hanks has it.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

So does his wife.

https://twitter.com/tomhanks/status/1237909897020207104/photo/1

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

All sports are canceled. Broadway shut down. Disney parks. Festivals. Ban on large gatherings in Ny I believe. Schools across my state are closed. Rumor all might be soon.  We are under a state of emergency. NJ has 29 cases. 1 dead.

AtariLegend wrote:

Primary School near where I stay atm, closed due to this.

Wow from litterally the otherside of the world to here, bizzare.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:

I don't think it's bizarre.

It's a very contagious disease and people have been allowed to travel without restrictions for too long, even after Wuhan was isolated. The virus has been around since December, apparently, but it took weeks before that poor GP was finally listened to. When something was finally put in place to contain the virus, people had been  travelling to and from China without knowing they were carriers. Also,  everyone rushed to collect people who were in China, fly them back home and I think that was a mistake. Those people were not always checked properly, I even read something about people coughing on the plane... If they were showing symptoms, they should have been left in isolation in China, in my opinion.

This Wednesday when I went to some local shop, the cashier coughed on several occasions without ever attempting to cover her mouth... I mean, seriously? She cannot ignore what's going on here and everywhere in the world. She cannot have not heard all that stuff on the radio/TV or read the papers or spoken to someone about the virus. Carelessness is what is getting the virus to spread. 

At my work we were informed this very afternoon that we are now in lockdown and cannot allow visitors in.

What I find bizarre is this thing about pangolins. If they carry the virus how comes this has not happened before?

I think it is very likely that Covid 19 killed people in the UK way before we started recording it as the cause of death. Like, people dying due to respiratory failure/flu...

Board footer