You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Covid 19

AtariLegend wrote:

800+ dead in friday fiqures (not inc. deaths outside hospitals (such as care homes ect).

Not sure why the gov. are talking about coming to the end of the lockdown (which we entered later than Italy/Spain with more relaxed conditions) when deaths are still pretty high.

(weekend fiqures btw are often misleading, because they aren't even all hospital deaths).

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

It's unfortunate that we have the benefit of being '30 days behind' other countries like China, Italy etc, and should look at what they do and what works/doesn't and 'When is too soon'.  Instead ppl in this country are so gung-ho about re-opening.

I'm starting to have second thoughts on some things, initially I thought after Memorial Day things would reopen, and while I think they will, I think our lives are going to be different for 12-18 months.  I think I'm going to be telecommuting for a full year, I think schools might be virtual next year, I think next years NBA/NHL playoffs might be the first 'attempt' at crowds, otherwise later MLB summer games or NFL 2021. I feel for bars & restaurants, I don't see people going back to that for 1-2 years aside from takeout. But that won't make up for the rent & loans some of those places are paying, and there'll be alot of turnover & addition to lessened staff.

Sorry to be a downer. I could be entirely wrong & in July/August the heat kills it over & stops the spread. Wuhan is reopened, but I think businesses aren't the same nor going to be. (dine in restaurants)

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Where are you guys getting your numbers?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I was wondering that myself.

Just making some crazy predictions here, because I'm by nature a pessimist. There are going to be zero live sporting events, concerts, stage plays, festivals, public events of any kind with crowds this year. Maybe the NFL plays to empty stadiums. Large public institutions and tourist attractions like museums, zoos, planetariums, etc., might operate but at a drastically limited occupancy rate and with mask requirements. Schools, for the most part, will play out this calendar year using e-learning. Colleges and universities will do the same, because they won't be able to open dorms. Restaurants and bars will be allowed to open but, again, with drastically reduced occupancy with tables far, far apart. There will be no elbow-to-elbow at-the-bar seating--and I don't think Americans are going to go back to those places in large numbers anyhow.

There's one reason for all this, in my mind: No vaccine and no real effective treatment. How can we go back to normal with no vaccine and no way to really treat this?

Do I want all this to happen? Hell no. I want to work in my office. I hate working at home. I want to visit my very ill mother in law in Texas, but that might not happen. I want to see my own parents, who are in their late-70s. I want my kids to get a proper education. E-learning right now is a joke because there was no preparation. It will be better in the fall.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:

Oxford apparently has a vaccine that is safe for humans and stopped Covid in monkeys.  If it does well in the human trials, it could be out this year.  Still a ways to go and no guarantees it'll get through trials, but here's something to give you some optimism.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

I’ll have to read up on it. A vaccine is essential to getting back to semi-normal.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

College is facing a major problem.. Dorm life & parties/bars are ripe for spreading the virus, but it'll be very hard to justify $20k-$40k & up for online learning. One that probably isn't all that well setup & prepared. Speaking to 120 live students for Intro & 101 courses will not translate very well to a computer monitor.

bigbri

bigbri wrote:

Buzz, you've been asking about Sweden. The death rate there is higher than neighboring countries that did more.

"The death rate in Sweden has now risen significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, reaching more than 22 per 100,000 people, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University, controlled for population."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/europe/s … index.html

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Buzz, you've been asking about Sweden. The death rate there is higher than neighboring countries that did more.

"The death rate in Sweden has now risen significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, reaching more than 22 per 100,000 people, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University, controlled for population."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/28/europe/s … index.html

So higher, but still minuscule.  What is that - .022%?  Even if it's 10 times that is .22%.  I have to just sit here and shake my head at this.  Yes, if you know one of the .02%, this sucks.  You don't destroy a global economy for that rate...you don't.  It's completely irresponsible.

Let's see how things compare down the road too.  It's expected they would see a spike, but so far it seems their healthcare system was not overrun in spite of keeping things open.  That was the point of social distancing, so from that perspective there was no harm.  Now let's see where they are number wise once this thing winds down (keeping in mind that may be this time next year).  In theory they should slow down while the other countries spike later when they eventually relax controls.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Oxford apparently has a vaccine that is safe for humans and stopped Covid in monkeys.  If it does well in the human trials, it could be out this year.  Still a ways to go and no guarantees it'll get through trials, but here's something to give you some optimism.

Found a link to the artilce

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/worl … klzdEj01CM

Board footer