You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: Matt Sorum's book leaks online.

metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

That VH1 documentary on VR looking for a lead singer was a good view into the relationship between him, Slash and Duff, and the scene that sticks with me was Duff being complete disgusted with him and calling him out for his treatment of the singers.

Matt was right though wasn’t he. They needed someone like Weiland as their frontman, not some b-grade nobody.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

The book itself is terrible.  It's just not well written.  Some boring chapters; some that could have been expanded on.  It's not surprising it got dropped.  If you're not a GnR fan, there's really no point in reading the book.

Agree 100%.

The book is interesting for us hardcore fans because of the juicy gossip but the pacing and writing of this is all over the place. The speed at which some parts are glossed over and breezed through is unreal. Two examples:

The end of the UYI tour, is never mentiooned. One minute he's finishing a show in Mexico and going cold turkey, next thing you know the tour is over and it's Snakepit time. Then the next time this stuff comes up is Slash leaving the band. He writes at length about those 3 years of GNR where he's recording and touring, and then breezes through 93-97.

The end of VR is just abrupt, they fire Scott and the next time VR is mentioned it's over. Nothing written about the fallout of Scott's dismissal or the hunt for his replacement.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
misterID wrote:

That VH1 documentary on VR looking for a lead singer was a good view into the relationship between him, Slash and Duff, and the scene that sticks with me was Duff being complete disgusted with him and calling him out for his treatment of the singers.

Matt was right though wasn’t he. They needed someone like Weiland as their frontman, not some b-grade nobody.

I doubt anyone in the band disagreed with that, but the issue was that Duff was fed up with his attitude and him being a dick.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Would love to read the book. Are there any links to share. PM me if available. Thanks.

I'd also be interested, if someone were so kind...

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Finished reading. Incredibly poor written, as previously stated.
Matt has had an outstanding life and several achievements for a musician/drummer. He deserved better.
It feels like a quick cash grab where he didn't put in the effort or even the caring to make this worthwhile.
Feels like a bad celebrity blog that had its entries compiled into a cheap bus station book.

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
otto wrote:

Matt has had an outstanding life and several achievements for a musician/drummer. He deserved better.
It feels like a quick cash grab where he didn't put in the effort or even the caring to make this worthwhile.
Feels like a bad celebrity blog that had its entries compiled into a cheap bus station book.

Is it the finished version that should have come out in April, or could it still be a draft?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Vale wrote:
otto wrote:

Is it the finished version that should have come out in April, or could it still be a draft?

It "looks" like a finished product with a forward, pictures, etc.  Nobody other than the publisher could answer that with certainty.

Pacha
 Rep: 0 

Pacha wrote:
Vale wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Would love to read the book. Are there any links to share. PM me if available. Thanks.

I'd also be interested, if someone were so kind...

The same, can someone PM??

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

Some things that caught my eye while reading:
Matt confirms Axl had two bands going on in the late 90's. One was GnR as we know it (by the time, Axl, Duff, Matt, Paul and Slash that was gone for Snakepit tour) and one composed of  "Dizzy and some of his friends" with Axl overseeing.

He states he teaches Axl in 97 what was a loop and most shockingly what was a bar in music theory. Really hard to believe considering Axl knew how to play the piano and wrote all November Rain's orchestrations.

On a side note, CD project started in 98 and took 10 years to see the light of day. We're already 12 years past its release.... Damn, time flies.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

otto wrote:

Some things that caught my eye while reading:
Matt confirms Axl had two bands going on in the late 90's. One was GnR as we know it (by the time, Axl, Duff, Matt, Paul and Slash that was gone for Snakepit tour) and one composed of  "Dizzy and some of his friends" with Axl overseeing.

He states he teaches Axl in 97 what was a loop and most shockingly what was a bar in music theory. Really hard to believe considering Axl knew how to play the piano and wrote all November Rain's orchestrations.

On a side note, CD project started in 98 and took 10 years to see the light of day. We're already 12 years past its release.... Damn, time flies.

Didn't Axl have piano lessons when he was a kid? I'm pretty sure he'd know what a bar was by 1993, he'd been a professional musician for years at that point. Loops, yeah, I can believe he wouldn't be familiar with them 'cos that's more of a production thing.

Board footer