You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: Duff's Neurotic Outsiders album getting re-released

ClaudeF wrote:

Great news. If you have not heard the album, man, is it fun.

"Their odes to nasty sex and bad women are tinged with tongue-in-cheek campiness. 'Jerk' is so obnoxious it's impossible to dislike it.” - ALL MUSIC GUIDE

“Pure Hollywood, honestly, and comfortably vulgar.” - NEW YORK TIMES

NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS'
LONG OUT-OF-PRINT S/T DEBUT ALBUM
GETS A SUPERMEGABOT EXPANDED EDITION
Out June 3, 2022

Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), John Taylor (Duran Duran), Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum (Guns N' Roses)

When former Sex Pistol STEVE JONES joined a pick up band for a benefit concert for a cancer-stricken friend at LA's notorious Viper Room back in the mid '90s, he probably had no clue that the lineup he'd choose would result in a full blown record deal with Madonna's Maverick Records for $1million. What started out as a random mishmash of his musician friends - JOHN TAYLOR (Duran Duran) and DUFF McKAGAN and MATT SORUM (Guns N' Roses) - and a Monday night residency at the infamous club turned into NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS.  Together, they took all that power they possessed and channeled it into a self-titled debut which was originally released in 1996. Long out of print, Neurotic Outsiders is being re-released as an Expanded Edition, containing all the tracks from the album plus their rare Japanese–only EP. It will be released on June 3, 2022 via Boston-based Supermegabot Records.

“We all were in these high-profile, high maintenance bands with very little actual playing. With Neurotic Outsiders, things felt completely loose,” laughs Taylor of the ragtag nature of the band. Originally starting out as cover band that hosted a wide array of surprise guests including Simon LeBon, Billy idol, Izzy Stradlin, Chrissie Hynde, Ian Astbury, Sporty Spice Mel C, Iggy Pop, Brian Setzer, and Slash, the band’s own internal chemistry between its four members was so apparent that soon Neurotic Outsiders was born.

As more and more of Jones' post-Sex Pistols originals started making their way into their sets, the band began embracing the new material. Comprised of no frills, guitar-drenched, cracking rock n’ roll tunes, most of the originals were unheard material leftover from Jones’ Sex Pistols/Professionals days. “He [Jones] gave me the tape of his songs and it became my favorite tape,” recalls McKagan. “It sounded like 1979 English punk rock with an American feel. It was rockin’. It was heavy. Jonesy wrote the coolest pop.”

Pulling in Talking Heads’ Jerry Harrison to harness its power, the self-titled debut was chock full of songs that reveled in the rock n’ roll excess of yore which New York Times characterized as “pure Hollywood, honestly, and comfortably vulgar" and Details called "crude punk rock."

Kicking off right out of the gate with the slash and burn of “Nasty Ho” into the pounding sear of “Always Wrong,” they unexpectedly sprinkled honest and tender tunes throughout, including the wistful “Union,” a rumination on the demise of the Sex Pistols (who ironically reformed just as the song was completed). “Story Of My Life” retells Jones’ own addict’s lament while Taylor’s “Better Way” is “a testament to our sober lives and it was not the song I would have envisioned writing with the co-author of ‘Pretty Vacant’.”

Other tracks include “Angelina” (a tribute to the inescapable 80’s / 90’s pink-haired billboard queen of LA), “Good News” (a bitter send-off with the lyric “the good news is you’re dying, the bad news is I’m alive”). The album’s first single “Jerk” is a standard self-deprecating Jones’ track where he proclaims “I’m a jerk” as a chorus. Included are covers Duran Duran’s “Planet Earth” (from the Japan-only EP) and a furious rendition of The Clash’s “Janie Jones.”

Just as the band was starting to gather steam, each of the band members were - one by one - pulled away when their previously inactive bands started reforming again, leaving prospects of a continuation of Neurotic Outsiders swept away in the Viper Room's evening detritus.  Had they stuck together, it might have re-energized Jones to continue making music.  But as it stands, this currently stands as his final album (he is, by admission, "quite lazy").

“I am proud of that album,” smiles Jones through a sepia-toned lens. “This is one album I really do like. I like the songwriting. I like the production and I like the way it’s played. We had a fun time making that record and I think it could’ve done well if we’d all been around to give it a proper push.”

EPITAPH:
Since 1996, the band reformed in 1999 for three shows at the (now defunct) Viper Room, but they’ve all stayed busy.

The album’s lyrics foreshadowed many of the themes addressed in Steve Jones’ acclaimed 2018 autobiography, Lonely Boy, now adapted by director Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire) as the 2022 Hulu miniseries “Pistol.”

Matt Sorum’s long-delayed autobiography, Double Talkin’ Jive has been released by Rare Bird Books this week, covering his career from playing in Tori Amos’ Y Kant Tori Read project, through the Cult, GnR, Velvet Revolver and beyond.

Duff McKagan made numerous albums, both solo and in other bands, and has written two books, before reuniting with the reformed Guns N Roses who’ve been touring since 2016.

John Taylor recorded six solo albums, wrote his autobiography, and has been touring and recording with Duran Duran since the original band reunited in 2000.

All four members of Neurotic Outsiders are in the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame, as is the album’s producer Jerry Harrison. John Taylor’s induction with Duran Duran will take place this November.

This Expanded Edition of Neurotic Outsiders includes the original remastered album adding four b-sides from a rare Japan-only EP. It will be released on June 3, 2022.

NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS
Tracklisting
Nasty Ho
Always Wrong
Angelina
Good News
Better Way
Feelings Are Good
Revolution
Jerk
Union
Janie Jones
Story Of My Life
Six Feet Under
Seattle Head
Spanish Ballroom
Planet Earth
Jerk (Clean Version)

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:

Great news indeed! I wonder if this version of Spanish Ballroom has vocals. I also haven't heard the clean version of Jerk before. I'll definitely check it out

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Easily the best thing to come out from any of the GN’R members outside of a GN’R album. This album to me, picks up right where TSI left off, and is more of that fun, loud, rocked up, punky sounding songs.

Even the mellower ballad type songs are great on this.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

And to think that Axl had this huge, tight sounding rhythm section in Duff and Matt at his disposal, and still couldn’t put out a big fuck off rock album with GN’R in 1996, just baffles me…

Link31
 Rep: 1 

Link31 wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know Seattle Head was an Outsiders song. I love the version on Beautiful Disease.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Early on, Billy Idol was lead singer of the band but eventually dropped out. I only remember a song called Sealed With A Kiss that they played live with him on vocals. I wonder if there any tracks with him on it anywhere. He promoted the band on Arsenio Hall, so it was a pretty big deal.

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Interesting. Didn't know Seattle Head was an Outsiders song. I love the version on Beautiful Disease.

The first, out of three, studio version of the song.

Great album, I've discovered the bonus tracks on spotify and it blew me away!

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Link31 wrote:

Pretty sure Duff wrote it during Neurotic Outsiders, as it appeared on the b-side of the Jerk single. I’ve still got a copy of that lying around somewhere.

And he later re-recorded it for his Beautiful Disease album then with Loaded.

I think the best version is the Neurotic one though, because Sorum is drumming and he’s got an actual band behind him playing it.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Anyone ever see Neurotic Outsiders/Nuerotic Boy Outsiders (as they were sometimes called) in concert?

I caught them at a club in ‘96. They were traveling in a bus which they parked outside the venue. Steve, Matt, and John stayed inside until showtime but Duff walked into the lobby as people were waiting to be let in the concert area. He would talk to anybody and seemed in happy spirits. I shook his hand and wished him a great time at the gig. There was no star ego or even “presence” - he seemed like someone familiar, even though I only knew him from radio, TV, and records.

Board footer