You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

Scabbie wrote:

Right now, All we need is some straight ahead good rock n'roll. But as you said James, that ain't happening.

I'm going to Hyde park as I received gold circle tickets as a present. I'll have a good time, I'll be with my brother, lots of beer and we both like the Darkness. But I know what to expect!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

It's not too advanced for my ears....Prodigy was doing it better in 1995.

I can't speak for him but I always took it to mean advanced as in what we consider to be GNR.

Like AFD era GNR means raw guitars plugged into loud amps in the spirit of Aerosmith etc.

By UYI era Axl forced that to also include Elton John and Queen style music.

I think the plan was that it was to next include stuff like prodigy, NiN, and maybe a side order of Ice Cube or something.

But he knew it wasn't going to be an easy sell to the audience who likes them for what they did originally.

I remember in his talk about the 3 albums he was speaking that way too, of moving further and further away from the traditional sound each album.

But I mean without the original guys on board he was faced with a mamoth task to try and recreate one of the best bands in history, while changing it's style of music into an area that was both new and frankly not what the existing band was good at. So he's going to face push back from the original band, the label, the media and the fans for that.....all this while being a guy from a bad background, poor education, with his own mental health problems, in an industry of con men and thieves, junkies, and suddenly being one of the most famous people on the planet....

Is it any wonder that failed? It's just impossible. Bad idea all along I guess, but if thats what he wanted to do, that's what he wanted to do.

The real shame to me is that they could have sorted out their shit and moved on around 2004 - back when there was still some game left in everyone. A reunion back then and we may have seen a lot more music I think.

Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

It's not too advanced for my ears....Prodigy was doing it better in 1995.

I can't speak for him but I always took it to mean advanced as in what we consider to be GNR.

Like AFD era GNR means raw guitars plugged into loud amps in the spirit of Aerosmith etc.

By UYI era Axl forced that to also include Elton John and Queen style music.

I think the plan was that it was to next include stuff like prodigy, NiN, and maybe a side order of Ice Cube or something.

But he knew it wasn't going to be an easy sell to the audience who likes them for what they did originally.

I remember in his talk about the 3 albums he was speaking that way too, of moving further and further away from the traditional sound each album.

But I mean without the original guys on board he was faced with a mamoth task to try and recreate one of the best bands in history, while changing it's style of music into an area that was both new and frankly not what the existing band was good at. So he's going to face push back from the original band, the label, the media and the fans for that.....all this while being a guy from a bad background, poor education, with his own mental health problems, in an industry of con men and thieves, junkies, and suddenly being one of the most famous people on the planet....

Is it any wonder that failed? It's just impossible. Bad idea all along I guess, but if thats what he wanted to do, that's what he wanted to do.

The real shame to me is that they could have sorted out their shit and moved on around 2004 - back when there was still some game left in everyone. A reunion back then and we may have seen a lot more music I think.

That’s a good post

Scabbie

Scabbie wrote:

He should have experimented as a solo artist or named the band something different.

Arguably velvet revolver did A better job of finding a mor modern gnr sound

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Dumbest thing he ever did was to force the band name clause when he didn't have to do that. That more than anything is what turned Slash against him.

Trying to keep the band relevant is not a bad idea in itself. Oh My God is a good example of the initial direction of the band, and I don't think that song is a deal breaker for most old fans, while also pleasing younger fans and pushing the envelope of the GN'R sound. Silk Worms is like the worst of the worst stylistically so not the best example. CD, IRS, Better all of that would have played. Especially if you got Slash doing the guitar.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Yep, especially the first album. Contraband has aged much much better than CD has.

I can still put it on and listen from start to finish and thoroughly enjoy it all of it, even the lesser songs.

While CD certainly has its moments as an album, the lows on there are pretty bad and I find it difficult to listen all the way through these days.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Yep, especially the first album. Contraband has aged much much better than CD has.

I can still put it on and listen from start to finish and thoroughly enjoy it all of it, even the lesser songs.

While CD certainly has its moments as an album, the lows on there are pretty bad and I find it difficult to listen all the way through these days.

If Axl could put his ego aside, and considering the state of his voice, which Velvet Revolver songs do you think he could perform really well on this tour?

Even one or two would show the world that he has truly made peace with Duff and Slash, refresh the set list, and give fans something exciting to look forward to.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

ClaudeF wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

If Axl could put his ego aside, and considering the state of his voice, which Velvet Revolver songs do you think he could perform really well on this tour?

Even one or two would show the world that he has truly made peace with Duff and Slash, refresh the set list, and give fans something exciting to look forward to.

I mean, pretty much any of them, since Scott's vocal range is well within Axl's capabilities. Realistically they'd probably go for the most famous tracks – Fall to Pieces, Set Me Free, Do It For The Kids, etc.

Scabbie

Scabbie wrote:

James was saying the band get bored of playing their songs.

I just watched a clip of Metallica's new tour. They must have played Creeping Death thousands of times and yet they don't look bored in the slightest.

I agree about the VR songs. Fuck it, play some snakepit songs too. MAKE IT FRESH goddamit

Sky Dog wrote:

At this point, I would just like the big 3 to stick to the material from 87-91….forget Chinese, Contraband, Glen Campbell, etc. If you’re not going to write something new together, just play the classic Guns songs, get paid, and go home.

Board footer