You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Re: What happened to Axl's voice?

Miguelox26 wrote:

What happened to Axl's voice? Rumors, official and opinions, what is known?

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

From his reappearance in house of blues and rock in rio onwards he appeared with that vocal timbre, sharp, angry, powerful and with a lot of control, but it was different, what really happened?

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

He aged lol

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Lol ... pretty much

He was 25 when AFD came out...hes 61 now

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

From his reappearance in house of blues and rock in rio onwards he appeared with that vocal timbre, sharp, angry, powerful and with a lot of control, but it was different, what really happened?

80s/90s rasp ruined his voice. Just listen to this SCOM intro:

In 1986 his voice is much more delicate, a unique swirl in his throat.

Now take 1991 in comparison:

https://youtu.be/SjSZ4GDdyEI?si=FzZpB0HEWnWJ70Tf&t=279

In 1999 Axl hadn't sung for years. Probably to try and heal the damage. 00s comes around he is no longer using the rasp like he used to. He said in an interview this was a conscious choice.

Already in 1988 his voice was damaged to the point he could no longer fully replicate his AFD sound. The You're Crazy version from the Late Show in 88 is the last time we hear the classic Axl voice. In 1991 he's struggling to sing, has to cancel shows. In 1992 he has regained control and he sounds better, but with much less texture to his rasp. Again in 1993 his voice is starting to thin out, and he pretty much only sings on Sympathy and the Springsteen Come Together until laying down vocals for Live Era and CD in 99. His vocals here are good, but live he doesn't use the rasp almost at all.

Likely AC/DC shattered much of what was left.

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

I know what was previously stated and I share it! Thank you!

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

I was referring to the rumors of operations on the vocal cords, I read that type of things over the years and I wanted to know from you if there is anything confirmed about it. Apparently in 2002 and 2005 he underwent surgery, does anyone know?

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Didn't he go to Bazs guy in 06 or right before? For something. I kinda remember that.

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Yes something like that.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:

He blew his voice out in the 90s, also had polyps on his vocalcords that got removed, and  that is what messed his voice up for good
he never sang correctly either, which  took its toll.

Board footer