You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: The General and Monsters

otto wrote:
James wrote:
otto wrote:
James wrote:

Any examples of trip hop with intentionally shitty mixes?

I  didn't realize that was some sort of element of the genre.

I guess Portishead is doing it wrong.  16

Brain & Melissa:
You can have a listen and have an opinion.

Never mentioned trip hop but I liked the irony. You must be fun at parties.

You think that's intentionally shitty and not simply low budget? If intentional, they did a terrible job conveying that.

You didn't have to mention trip hop. The General is obviously in that category regardless of who mentions it.

I used to be fun at parties...but then I got old.

Sorry for the long delay. I was in the hospital for a minor procedure, caught some horrifying flu, and almost died. Never been in the hospital that long before. It was hell.

Hope you're fine, dude, alive and kicking.

On another note, it's definitely intentional to have the low fi vibe and that sound aesthectic.
We should throw a party sometime, for old time's sake.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Glad you’re okay, James!

Still blows my mind we got The General in the most anticlimactic way possible.

Bill Brasky
 Rep: 0 

Bill Brasky wrote:

I hope people realize how the remaining hoarded tracks are most likely shit.

Do not be fooled by the hoarders claiming how great they are. They propped up the general as a big gun.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The General was exactly what I expected, and I don’t doubt the Buckethead/Robin version is better

Saboteur
 Rep: 4 

Saboteur wrote:
misterID wrote:

The General was exactly what I expected, and I don’t doubt the Buckethead/Robin version is better

What makes you think that The General with Buckethead involvement even exists?
I'm not interested in Finck's involvement at all.

Clear

Clear wrote:
Saboteur wrote:
misterID wrote:

Brain said that the general was a result of him and bucket hanging out and jamming together. And I think bucket was still part of the bend in 2004. They aren't called bucket and brain songs for no reason

Saboteur

Saboteur wrote:

https://rockandrolltruestories.com/buck … s-n-roses/

"2003 proved to be another quiet year on the recording front and by the end of 2003, Buckethead’s manager revealed that the guitarist finally quit the band due to the group’s inability to deliver an album."

There is no evidence that Buckethead participated in recordings after 2002, claiming that Buckethead/Finck version is better is just trolling.

Saboteur

Saboteur wrote:
Clear wrote:
Saboteur wrote:
misterID wrote:

Brain said that the general was a result of him and bucket hanging out and jamming together. And I think bucket was still part of the bend in 2004. They aren't called bucket and brain songs for no reason

any source confirming that the general was a result of brain and bucket hanging out and jamming together?

Clear

Clear wrote:
Saboteur wrote:

any source confirming that the general was a result of brain and bucket hanging out and jamming together?

"It’s funny because how ‘The General’ came about was we were supposed to, you know, this was like building up to that show. Everybody was like “Hey if anybody has songs or shit you can bring them in. So that song, ‘The General’ was a song that from when [inaudible] and [inaudible] and I, when I wasn’t doing Guns stuff would just jam in my living room type of thing. I had a pro tool setup, we were jamming, we were trying to come up with songs for Guns and we had this song called, well we called it ‘The General’ because we were eating general’s chicken. Yet, when I turned it in to Axl [Rose] he thought it was called ‘The General’ because I was making fun of Tommy [Stinson] and Tommy was kind of the band MD, he was the musical director when we would have rehearsals and Axl thought i was kind of poking fun at Tommy like a general. Like sort of a ‘hey we’re rehearsing at this time’ and that kind of shit. I was like ‘no dude, it’s because we ate general’s chicken."

Form Appetite For Discussion podcast

"[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

And I was wrong, Marco Beltrami worked on The General in 2002 so it had to have existed back than, I know Bucket joined and quit the band few times, but as far as I'm aware he was in the band in 2002, right?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Sorry for the long delay. I was in the hospital for a minor procedure, caught some horrifying flu, and almost died. Never been in the hospital that long before. It was hell.

Damn.  That was scary to read.  Glad that you survived and got the hell out of there and are recovering.

Board footer