You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General and Monsters

misterID wrote:

He’s really only talked about Sorry from CD and that it’s not about (at the time) any old band mates, which is crazy

Did he ever specifically mention This I Love being about Stephanie?

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
misterID wrote:

He’s really only talked about Sorry from CD and that it’s not about (at the time) any old band mates, which is crazy

He has also talked about Catcher In The Rye and the title track (and ofc Rhiad).

misterID wrote:

Not specifically, but the way he talked about it during a show points at her:

Axl: The person I wrote that song [=This I Love] for said, "Thank you for the gift of your soul." Well, it took a while, but I got that fucker back. [Telia Parken, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 27, 2017]

We also have what Dave Dominguez said about it being a "Stephanie" song.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding known song meanings....

In the online chats many years ago Axl was kind enough to answer a question I asked about the meaning of Shackler's Revenge. Seems it's a good example of how a song can be a response to a specific thing but also capture a feeling or mood or be about a few things. Here's what he said:

"Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.

That said, listening for my own enjoyment or if we were to make a video or performing it I lean more to the entertainment of a horror flick or something like Dexter, something with an interesting menacing character as opposed to real life."

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

Regarding known song meanings....

In the online chats many years ago Axl was kind enough to answer a question I asked about the meaning of Shackler's Revenge. Seems it's a good example of how a song can be a response to a specific thing but also capture a feeling or mood or be about a few things. Here's what he said:

"Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.

That said, listening for my own enjoyment or if we were to make a video or performing it I lean more to the entertainment of a horror flick or something like Dexter, something with an interesting menacing character as opposed to real life."

IIRC at one point they were thinking of making a music video for it with Mickey Rourke playing the "Shackler," who (based on Buckethead's interests) I would assume was a Jason/Michael Myers type figure, which would fit with the "horror flick" idea.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Ahhhh, good points Monkey and blackstar

Sky Dog wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
misterID wrote:

He has also talked about Catcher In The Rye and the title track (and ofc Rhiad).

misterID wrote:

Not specifically, but the way he talked about it during a show points at her:

Axl: The person I wrote that song [=This I Love] for said, "Thank you for the gift of your soul." Well, it took a while, but I got that fucker back. [Telia Parken, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 27, 2017]

We also have what Dave Dominguez said about it being a "Stephanie" song.

All of which ties in to Soul Monster/Monsters….TWAT, The Blues….that chick banged him up worse than Erin.

Erin still wins though….SCOM and Estranged are arguably 2 of the greatest hard rock ballads ever written. SCOM maybe #1!

Sky Dog wrote:

On a side note, just rewatched SCOM from Rio 2001……easily the best live version since the Illusions. It is far superior to the reunion years.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Sky Dog wrote:

On a side note, just rewatched SCOM from Rio 2001……easily the best live version since the Illusions. It is far superior to the reunion years.

I miss Brain's drumming on that song, that little fill he adds during the ascending run into the wah bit of the solo...

misterID

misterID wrote:

I’ve been seeing snippets of those shows on Instagram. Just an absolute disgrace that he did fuck all with that line up

misterID

misterID wrote:

Maybe Slash and Duff could convince Axl to do a Velvet Revolver album. He seems to easily record and release stuff that’s not GNR

Board footer