You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Are you glad the members of Guns N' Roses are in Guns N' Roses?

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure I really understand the concept of this thread, although that shouldn't be taken to be an insult to CC who is an awesome poster.

It's just that the idea seems to be - wouldn't it be better for everyone - not to be in GNR - and although GNR has some issues that we're all too painfully aware of - as a fan of the music that we do occasionally get - it doesn't make sence to me to wish people out of the band unless you dislike what they do. So it seems like that's what you are saying - that a real fan of these people would want them out of GNR! Which i can see why given GNR uses up time with limited results..but its also kinda wierd.

My thoughts on who I consider to be the standout players:

Axl: Yes...i'll agree its a shame we dont have more as he's like the best peformer in decades to me. then again he does what he can with his own challanges in life. Maybe if we had more he'd be fucked up and thats not good.

Robin: I call him standout cos love him or hate him - he is distinctive in style. You know who is playong. I'm ok with seeing robin in NIN - as IMHO he has always been better suited to that than GNR, although CD may change my mind.

Bucket: I don't care if he releases 200 albums post GNR - i think GNR was his best chance at making music most people will like. yes he will always be an incredible guitarist, but his genre-swapping and advant guarde style while academicly cool and impressive is far too unapproachable for the average listener. He needs structure big time. Now its fine to say not all music should be made for the masses and more power to him. I'm just saying - him releasing loads of albums does not mean they will be something I or others will enjoy as much as we would have hearing him in GNR.

Bumble: GNR is not preventing him from doing solo work. And he is a very capiable guitarist which could lead to interesting projects with GNR one day maybe. So its good to see him around.

The rest:

Richard, Frank, Tommy etc - to me these are just place holder people who don't really add anything unique to the sound that any other professional musician couldn't add...so i have no care if they are in GNR or not.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Are you glad the members of Guns N' Roses are in Guns N' Roses?

gnfnraxl wrote:

Meh!  To me for starters they are NOT in GNR but in Axl's solo project.  Dick, Frank and Pitman I do not care that much about them.  Other than having seen them play with Axl I am not familiar with their work and ain't interested in becoming familiar with what they did outside of Axl's little project.  Bumblefoot while I can't say I care to get familiar with his work YET (that may change) I think Axl should keep him even if he brings Bucket back.  Bumble is the most fan friendly of them all and could become an excellent spokesperson for Axl's band if Axl allows him to talk.  Stinson I have a lot of respect for as well as Buckethead.  As for Finck.  I can't say I hate him but I can't say I'm a fan.  I totally get why he left and support him on this a 110%.  So in other words.  "GNR" as we knew it will NEVER exist ever again.  It will never be a band again.  If Axl decides to release some music it will be with a bunch of hired hechmen.  Stinson may stay, Dizzy will always stay.  The others I think will always be a revolving door.  We will never have a permanent guitarist or member other than Axl and Dizzy in Axl's project.  I hope I am wrong but the last decade has showed me I am right on the money with this.

Board footer