You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Song #2 (Prostitute) is the biggest gun of all IMO

-D- wrote:

Also, I think a lot of people get lost in Axl's amazing vocals and lyrics.  The vocals,lyrics and melodies are some of the greatest in GNR song history.

However, If u can ignore Axl and just listen to the music, outside of the piano its very very mediocre. The solo at the end for me, doesnt match the song, that song is so heartfelt and beautiful and the guitar at the end is just a bunch of flashy jibberish.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Not harder to hate.  Why argue a point that will be proven shortly?  Shackler's chance of commercial success = .0000000000000000000000000000001%
\

you can't be THAT stupid can you?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

Not harder to hate.  Why argue a point that will be proven shortly?  Shackler's chance of commercial success = .0000000000000000000000000000001%
\

you can't be THAT stupid can you?

Welcome to the site.  I hope post #2 has something remotely intelligent to say.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bucket, predictable? Surely, that's a joke monkeychow. Maybe in GNR he's doing similar things, but he doesn't call the shots. Outside of GNR, he's more unpredictable than Axl, which you should know if you have his cds.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Bucket, predictable? Surely, that's a joke monkeychow. Maybe in GNR he's doing similar things, but he doesn't call the shots. Outside of GNR, he's more unpredictable than Axl, which you should know if you have his cds.

I agree, but I've said several times that solo BH is great, GnR BH not so much.  Being in a band like GnR limits BH's biggest strengths, which is why people think all he does is play really fast and he has no emotion.  I thought that before hearing a larger sampling of his solo stuff (thanks to the help me get into BH thread).  While I have a new found respect for BH and while he delivers some quality moments, him being in GnR was a bad match for both sides.  It was wasted talent (and time) for him and just not the right fit for GnR in a 3 man setup. 
I wonder if I'd feel differently had it been Robin (or Richard) and BH instead of 3?  Maybe he'd have had a better opportunity to show his other styles?  Maybe Axl pigeon-holed him just like a lot of fans have as a one trick pony?

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

intelligent as in dismissing this latest leak as not having the ability to be a commercial success? because that my friend is lunacy.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

intelligent as in dismissing this latest leak as not having the ability to be a commercial success? because that my friend is lunacy.

Oh really?  Please explain.  Even supporters of the song have a hard time saying it's going to be commercially successful, so what do you know that nobody else does? 

The closest I've seen anybody come to actually making a case was asking how I defined comercial success.  For the record (don't think I ever answered the question) my definition of commercial success is living up to the GnR name.  What did they acheive in the past?  I don't expect a #1 song (from any of their songs), but I would expect them to make the top 20 and stay there for awhile (not just a brief appearance the week the song comes out).  I don't think that's unreasonable.

You're 0 for 3 so far...not a great start.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I'm not sure what you're considering a commercial success.  I know you just explained, but top 20 on what chart?  I think this song could chart VERY well on the modern rock circuit.  If you're looking at top 40, not sure there.  I don't view that chart often, but isn't that filled with R&B, rap, teeny bopper music?  I could see a rock ballad charting well, but not sure about hard tracks like this.  Again, I don't know for sure, I'd have to take a closer look at the charts.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
faldor wrote:

I'm not sure what you're considering a commercial success.  I know you just explained, but top 20 on what chart?  I think this song could chart VERY well on the modern rock circuit.  If you're looking at top 40, not sure there.  I don't view that chart often, but isn't that filled with R&B, rap, teeny bopper music?  I could see a rock ballad charting well, but not sure about hard tracks like this.  Again, I don't know for sure, I'd have to take a closer look at the charts.

Top 40 is all that matters.  Charting on Adult Contemporary isn't success.  Modern "rock" songs end up on the Top 40 chart - it's not an unreasonable expectation.

Edit: Let's put it this way...I didn't check the Top 40 chart for VR, but I know TLF was on the VH1 countdown for a few weeks, so it's likely it was somewhere on that chart.  Libertad (by most accounts) was a piece of shit, but TLF had some limited commercial success.  I would expect it to at the very, very least surpass anything VR did since the general concensous is VR sucks.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Just looking at the Billboard Hot 100 (by the way James M.I.A. is #5), you've got the Flobots at 42, 3 Doors Down at 30, Kid Rock at 28.  Recent history would tell you that NO rock band charts well these days compared to all the pop acts.  That Kid Rock song is huge these days and it's at its peak right now at #28.  With summer coming to an end I don't see it going much higher, so I still contend it's not easy cracking the top 20.

For comparison sake, Buckcherry's "Sorry" did hit the top 10, #9.  But again, that's a ballad.  I'm not seeing ANY hard rock songs reaching the top 20.  So if GNR were to make it, I'd take that as quite an accomplishment.

Board footer