You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

Re: An interesting topic, what would happen if axl...

Before i launch into discussion i'd first like to say i love the leaks, all of them basically, except 'if the world'. i cannot commend Axl enough for having the balls to move forward in the manner in which he did.

i was thinking to myself about the links and the musical direction the leaks have taken and a thought struck me.

as i thought of the many arguments i use to rebuke anti-axl illiterate idiots on youtube etc. i realised that the basis of many of my arguments is that Axl is not attempting to recreate blues-based hardrock, hes moving forward whether it be through the use of industrial sounds or anything else, and that is a good thing(which i think it is) however what would happen if he did? i don't mean totally replicate it, eg.motley crue, which would only serve to portray him as a pathetic washed up 80's rocker. what i mean is transform and evolve the type of music that made him and GNR famous. Axl has surrounded himself with some of the best musicians available in the 21st century, there is no reason he could not accomplish this feat. keep in mind, i am not saying he should, i am just putting the concept forward so others may discuss it with me. try to imagine a 21st century hard rocker in the style of welcome to the jungle or nightrain, i tried to avoid saying it but, SCOM. i think 'catcher in the rye is the closest thing to this so far, it feels to me like an updated version of november rain or don't cry, and in my opinion, both musically and lyrically, catcher is the best of the leaks.

i also acknowledge that we have heard a small sample of the alleged 30+ songs that Axl and the new band have recorded, but i couldn't help but ask what if? what if Axl stayed, even a little, closer to the roots of GNR, to evolve and develop that classic sound? i'd say we may have heard(are yet to hear?) more catcher in the rye-esq songs which, in my opinion, would be a better move on Axl's part.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

He couldn't, since the guys who wrote that blues-based hard rock, aren't in the band anymore, and his new players don't even like the classic Guns N' Roses. One of the reasons for the Slash/Duff vs. Axl break-up was Axl wanting to go industrial. Axl loves this type of music, yet he's still in love with Elton John-type of ballads (sometimes with even more cheese). Strange pairing, but it's Axl.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Well, I remember Axl saying in an interview years back when asked what kept him from doing another blues-based rock album that is was Slash (or lack thereof).

Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?
Rose: Slash.
Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?
Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record.

source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … ticleid=28

I don't really agree with him though. I reckon there's plenty of guitarists out there that could make nuGNR sound more "rock". I think he's changing his act to avoid direct comparisons.

But more relevantly: I agree with you, I would prefer if they did a more classic hardrock GNR type album. As I've always openly proclaimed: I'd love an AFD, part II.

Captain Winkler

I don't really agree with him though. I reckon there's plenty of guitarists out there that could make nuGNR sound more "rock". I think he's changing his act to avoid direct comparisons.

But more relevantly: I agree with you, I would prefer if they did a more classic hardrock GNR type album. As I've always openly proclaimed: I'd love an AFD, part II.

yea, i mean don't confuse me with those tragic idiots who are stuck in a timewarp and a demanding a replica of appetite, but more songs like catcher, which i believe sound like updated versions of the classic ballads, and less of the cluster fuck songs like if the world. in saying that i do love all the leaks, but i do believe if Axl recorded more traditional bluesy rockers, they could sound relevant and contemporary, as catcher does.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

How come Axl is "moving forward" just because he uses some rap beats and industrial tones? You can't create good art in Rock N' Roll anymore? I never understood this argument that Axl Rose is Jesus himself because he uses synth and beats? It's not that they sound horrible, but what's he inventing by doing things others have done? For that matter, what's left to invent?

GNR was never the sound of the eighties, if anything GNR were just good hard rockers, and that will always remain current in terms of good hard rock fans. I don't think Axl gains any more fans than he loses by incorporating industrial elements. I like the fact that he's doing what he wants, but he's not re-inventing the wheel here. For the most part the sounds are UYI with beats, to me. Sound fine, but I'm just saying.

I don't know if Axl has any good rockers in him anymore, the CD ones are underwhelming. Unless you consider Better a rocker. It is, but I prefer my rockers to have some badass lyrics.

Brett

Brett wrote:
TheMole wrote:

Well, I remember Axl saying in an interview years back when asked what kept him from doing another blues-based rock album that is was Slash (or lack thereof).

Loder: What prevented you from doing, like, a traditional rock record?
Rose: Slash.
Loder: [Laughs] But you could have found another guitar player or something, right?
Rose: Well, not really.... Not to make a true Guns record.

source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/arti … ticleid=28

I think he meant that as Slash leaving the band, not as though Slash didn't want to make some bluesy rock... because he obviously did. Even said so in his book.

EDIT: Nevermind... I was pissing around on Xbox and fucked up. Sorry.

Captain Winkler

Brett wrote:

How come Axl is "moving forward" just because he uses some rap beats and industrial tones? You can't create good art in Rock N' Roll anymore? I never understood this argument that Axl Rose is Jesus himself because he uses synth and beats? It's not that they sound horrible, but what's he inventing by doing things others have done? For that matter, what's left to invent?

GNR was never the sound of the eighties, if anything GNR were just good hard rockers, and that will always remain current in terms of good hard rock fans. I don't think Axl gains any more fans than he loses by incorporating industrial elements. I like the fact that he's doing what he wants, but he's not re-inventing the wheel here. For the most part the sounds are UYI with beats, to me. Sound fine, but I'm just saying.

I don't know if Axl has any good rockers in him anymore, the CD ones are underwhelming. Unless you consider Better a rocker. It is, but I prefer my rockers to have some badass lyrics.

well to me, the leaks are something that is incomparable anything i've ever heard. sure, they resemble NIN in some aspects and other artists in others but as far as rock goes theres nothing out there like the majority of the leaks IMO. others may disagree and cite the 'moving forward' argument as meaning moving forward in regards to the classic GNR sound, and not merely dwelling in his safe zone, eg.velvet revolver.

Brett

Brett wrote:

Libertad was not really in Slash's safe zone and even if it was, who cares? Why does that automatically equate a negative?

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

yea, i mean don't confuse me with those tragic idiots who are stuck in a timewarp and a demanding a replica of appetite, but more songs like catcher, which i believe sound like updated versions of the classic ballads, and less of the cluster fuck songs like if the world. in saying that i do love all the leaks, but i do believe if Axl recorded more traditional bluesy rockers, they could sound relevant and contemporary, as catcher does.

Did you just call me a "tragic idiot stuck in a timewarp"?

Board footer