You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: Irving Azoff & Andy Gould - March 2008 - ???

Aussie wrote:

On the 27th March 2008 Axl Rose released the following statement:

I am very pleased to announce that Guns N' Roses and I are now represented by the management team of Irving Azoff and Andy Gould. We are very excited and look forward to working with them and hope our relationship proves beneficial for everyone, especially the fans.

It was interesting to note that at the time of this announcement Azoff Music had also managed VELVET REVOLVER up until a few months prior.  It was also confirmed to BLABBERMOUTH.NET by an Azoff spkesperson at the time that Azoff was continuing to represent VR's singer, Scott Weiland.

Irving Azoff

IrvingAzoff.jpg

azoff051608rr.jpg

azoff_irving_02.jpg

Irving Azoff (born December 12, 1947) is an American personal manager, representing recording artists in the music industry such as: Jewel, The Eagles, Bush, REO Speedwagon, Seal, Journey, Christina Aguilera, Alter Bridge, Van Halen, Neil Diamond, New Kids on the Block, Steely Dan and Guns N' Roses. He is chairman and founder of Azoff Music Management Group, Inc.

Azoff began promoting and booking bands during his college years at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and has worked as an agent, personal manager, concert promoter, movie producer, independent record label owner, merchandiser, music publisher, and CEO of a record company. He moved to Los Angeles with his first big clients, Joe Walsh and Dan Fogelberg. He then joined Geffen Roberts management where he began working with The Eagles. After David Geffen sold Asylum Records to Warner Music, the management company splintered and Azoff left with the Eagles as his own client.

From 1983 to 1989, Azoff headed MCA Records and is credited for saving the company from bankruptcy. Azoff resigned from MCA in 1989 to form his own record label, Giant Records, now defunct.

Frederic Dannen's book, Hitmen, includes a chapter titled "The Troika" about Azoff, David Geffen and Walter Yetnikoff, three rival record executives in the 1980s. According to Thomas R. King's book, The Operator, Geffen manipulated Azoff into leaving MCA and going to Warner Music Group where he started Giant Records. King writes that Geffen wanted Azoff out at MCA to clear the way for MCA to buy Geffen Records. So Geffen convinced Mo Ostin at Warner Music to offer Irving Azoff a "dream" label deal. Giant Records operated for much of the 1990s until Azoff decided to return to concentrating on artist management.

Irving co-produced the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High and has been named "Manager of the Year" by two touring industry's trade publications.

In January 2008, it was being reported that Azoff is working with former New Kids on the Block alumni Jordan Knight, Joey McIntyre, Jonathan Knight, Danny Wood and Donnie Wahlberg on a 'reunion' album.

Andy Gould

AndyGould180.jpg

thmb_AndyGould2100.jpg

Andy co-founded Concrete Management & Marketing in 1989, quickly becoming the premier hard rock management company. In 1993 he relocated to Los Angeles and started Andy Gould Management, which was bought by The Firm in late 2001.  Gould became a senior partner at The Firm.

In 2005 Gould left The Firm in an amicable split after his contract to them expired.  Gould and Dan Dalton established Spectacle Entertainment Group in mid-2005 after splitting with the Firm.  Spectacle represents Rob Zombie for music and film.

In December 2006 it was announced that Spectacle Entertainment Group had entered into a strategic alliance with Irving Azoff's Front Line Entertainment

Gould, currently manages Rob Zombie, Static-X and Primus/Les Claypool.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Thanks for the info on those guys Aussie.  Nice work!  Sadly for Azoff, GNR might end up being a failed project for him if nothing materializes in 08.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Glad you liked it, I found it interesting digging thru and putting this info together.

I agree, if something doesn't come out I can see this thing going the same way as all the other relationships - the manager getting the bullet and the blame.  I certainly would be hesitant if I was Azoff and had to book a tour at any point.  That has been the kiss of death for Merck, Goldstein and Niven.

Axl decides he doesnt want to do it and then these guys are left holding the baby, the blame and a kick up the bum out the door.

Board footer