You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Oh hi, i need some advice

monkeychow wrote:

Sorry nemo didn't mean to be ignoring what you wrote.

On a related note....one thing i've noticed playing a few Epi's and Gibsons is that aformentioned variance can be so wild...that in some cases if you play a top of the line Epi - and get a 'good' one vs a bottom of the line gibson and happen to get a 'dud' one then the Epi can actually be the better play. Although i think this is truer of the older Epis...i'm not sure why - like if they make them differently now - but I have a 1994 Epi that's just one of those gem guitars....and feels nicer than a lot of really really more expensive models. That said...if you get a gibson that's 'good'....it really does pretty much own everything...depending on the sound you want...not as usefull for vai type music...but for that GNR style sound it kicks extreme ass.

Back on topic...another thing worth doing would be taking it to a local guitar store in your town (if such a thing exists) and getting it professionally set up - this can cost like $50-100 but it tends to make even a lower grade instrument a hell of a lot more playable and functional to me.

Officially you should get someone to asses it before you buy - make sure there arn't issues with the neck truss rod and that kind of shit - but that said - sometimes you have to grit your teath....I bought a Gibson Les Paul Studio once online and it turned out to be fine. So not everyone is bad on ebay!! But also - you'd want to make sure its not a copy or somehting bullshit like that too!

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I would agree with what everyone said about try things out and see what you like.

Since you're asking the question and everybody is pretty much aswering the same way.  I'm curious, are you new to guitar at all?  That's a heck of an investment for something you might get bored with after a while if you are. 

I realize it's just as possible, maybe moreso, you're looking to upgrade, but I know a few people who've dropped a lot of money on things(instruments or otherwise) that are now just sitting in a closet, but they thought they needed the best to start out on.  If any of that is the case, there are plenty of good lower end starters (like the epi's that Neemo and Monkey already mentioned).

Also, you might have done this already, but I just googled "Les Paul 2008 Standard" and here's what came up, so you have something to compare what you're looking at to. http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q= … a=N&tab=wf

Also, one thing I did while I was looking at different electric drumsets was to search youtube because there are a ton of videos with reviews, or you can just hear average tones that different people are getting out of things.

Captain Winkler
 Rep: -17 

wow thanx so much every one. yea i am new to the guitar =P, i am just really stubborn in the sense that i need something really good, almost as an incentive not to get bored of it, i really don't see myself getting bored of this thing, but if i did i am certain that i could recoup a fair percentage of what i spent by reselling it.

although i may just settle for the studio as opposed to the standard.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Captain Winkler wrote:

wow thanx so much every one. yea i am new to the guitar =P, i am just really stubborn in the sense that i need something really good, almost as an incentive not to get bored of it, i really don't see myself getting bored of this thing, but if i did i am certain that i could recoup a fair percentage of what i spent by reselling it.

although i may just settle for the studio as opposed to the standard.

You're probably right about being able to get a good chunk of the money back, and the incentive not to get bored makes some sense too. 

But that said, I'll repeat/paraphrase a story I read in a guitar magazine a long time ago.  The guy telling the story was on the crew for a famous band that he didn't name.  My theory based on the story at the time was the Stones, but I have no proof of that.

I have told to other people in similiar situations. (I don't think it's ever made a difference, but I like the story, so here goes.)
---
This band had a two guitar setup most of the time, but from time to time the singer would play guitar as well.  Night after night on the tour they would take the extra shitty amp that they had for this purpose and try to pull a good sound out of it, and night after night this guy would apologize to the singer because the equipment was bad, and they'd get it switched out when they got a chance after the tour. 

One night Eric Clapton was backstage visiting at a show (that is what makes me think it's the Stones).   At some point they decided that he would come up and jam with the band, and they'd just hook him up to the extra shitty amp that the singer used, because it was the only extra they had.  The guy was sweating this all night because he thinks he's gonna be the reason Clapton sounds like shit to this audience.  Clapton comes out, strums a couple chords, walks over to the amp, turns a couple knobs a little....  and boom, it sounds like Clapton always sounds.

He wasn't the only one who noticed because the singer came up to him afterwards to point out that maybe they don't need to get rid of that amp after the tour.
---

I wish I could remember where I saw the story so I could maybe find a link to it for real, because that's just my hazy memory/paraphrasing of a story that I read probably between 5 and 10 years ago. 

Also, seperate from all that, if you do get really into the guitar, you're gonna just want more guitars, so you can always upgrade later. 

That's just me though..... Maybe starting really nice just makes you skip the step where you sell off your first kinda crappy guitar to finance a new one that most guitar players I know went through.

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

Not trying to be a dick, but if you pay $2900 for a used 08 LP Standard, I will light you on fire. That's $100 above (brand new) GC / Sam Ash price. Hold on for a better deal.

Also, Neemo..... how did you pay $900 for an Epi Standard? I paid $600 for my Standard Plus, and this was 5 years ago, before the price drop.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

Also, Neemo..... how did you pay $900 for an Epi Standard? I paid $600 for my Standard Plus, and this was 5 years ago, before the price drop.

$900 in canadian $$$ before the economy crunch (when my buck was only worth 70 cents

i didnt pay that much though that was the orig price tag on it...

first off it was a defect (there's a small bit of sawdust in the varnish on the neck that you would never know is there unless i pointed it out to you) so that knocked knocked it down to $489 and then i traded in a 5 year old dean acoustic bass guitar for $350 credit...the guitar actually only cost me $160 after tax big_smile i'm pretty proud of that deal actually cool

and i got the bass origianlly for a cheap ass low end jackson guitar, a crappy old peavey 15W amp and $100 16

Board footer