You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: What Did You Guys Think Of This Rant...?

PaSnow wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
TheMole wrote:

You act like it's all so far fetched and unreal what's being said here, but you seem to forget most of it is documented as fact.

none of it is far-fetched, none of it is fact.   we don't know, none of us were there.   we don't know the circumstances of any of these supposed events.

I do know that the guys in VR have not cancelled any shows unannounced nor had a habit of starting the show extremely late. I can't say the same for Axl. Having said that, I see no reason to doubt there is some truth to some of the things, partcularly Slash's comment in his book about Axl locking himself in his hotel room. I'm sure stuff like that happened on occasion.

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Too much to quote

Whatever happened and whoever is responsible, the fact still remains that Axl is the one carrying the heat. You may say he brought it on himself, but we both know it's not that simple in reality.

I understand where he's coming from, that's all.

I have to agree, since Axl has always taken the heat for the entire break up and all the problems of the band, then ofcourse he is going to react, anyone would. 

As far as him not moving forward, I feel that's a seperate issue then when the rant is about.   The rant is about them blaming him and them talking and agreeing but that doesn't make it true.

Only thing I think Axl should do and should have done over the years is discuss his side. Aside from the Rant in 02,  He should have appeared on BTM, it was a total Axl bash fest, he could have at least gave his perspective on things they were saying and not make it so easy for them to point all fingers at him.

AtariLegend wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

He should have appeared on BTM, it was a total Axl bash fest, he could have at least gave his perspective on things they were saying and not make it so easy for them to point all fingers at him.

I agree, at least it appears Duff & Izzy weren't that negative...

...But Duff couldn't be, he was at Axls side while everyone else left.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, when 4 people are in general pointing the finger at one person and the one person isn't saying anything, the general perception is going to be that the 4 people are correct.  Of course it isn't 100% Axl's fault, but in the end, he was the one calling the shots and he has to accept responsibility. 

I don't see how anybody could say that Axl isn't more responsible for the breakup of the band than anybody else.  It was his band when they broke up.  Guys were forced to decide if they wanted to work under those conditions and decided they didn't.  That doesn't necessarily make Axl the bad guy.  Maybe his conditions were quite fair and the other guys were unreasonable about it.  I honestly believe Axl always did what he thought was best for Guns N' Roses regardless of what anybody else thought, I just think he made some bad decisions along the way.  Hindsight is 20/20.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

buzzsaw wrote:

Well, when 4 people are in general pointing the finger at one person and the one person isn't saying anything, the general perception is going to be that the 4 people are correct.  Of course it isn't 100% Axl's fault, but in the end, he was the one calling the shots and he has to accept responsibility. 

I don't see how anybody could say that Axl isn't more responsible for the breakup of the band than anybody else.  It was his band when they broke up.  Guys were forced to decide if they wanted to work under those conditions and decided they didn't.  That doesn't necessarily make Axl the bad guy.  Maybe his conditions were quite fair and the other guys were unreasonable about it.  I honestly believe Axl always did what he thought was best for Guns N' Roses regardless of what anybody else thought, I just think he made some bad decisions along the way.  Hindsight is 20/20.

I can't add much to that, pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Karma

buzzsaw wrote:

Buzzsaw we agree 5

I also think that any band or musical decision Axl made was in his mind for the good of the band and to make the band evolve into a someone different direction doing different music which did cause alot of friction, look by Slash's own admission, he never wanted to play SCOM and never thought it'd be their biggest hit.   

You have to admit, even if they didn't like the direction the band took, my god the UYI tour was the ultimate in successful for them, they took the world by storm with that tour, aside from Axl being Axl and walking off the stage or refusing to do some shows for his own reasons, you can't say that bloating up the band a bit, wasn't extremely successful for them.   Those shows sold out, show after show.

You also can't say they didn't know who Axl was going into this with them.  He had many temper tantrums during AFD, example throwing the microphone at the tech guys if the sound wasn't right.  They knew he was a loose cannon so you can't be surprised at some of the antics that happened along the way.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'm not a Sammy Hagar fan at all, but he said something back in like 02 or 03 that I always think of when things like this come up. He was talking about what a general asshole Ed Van Halen is work with and for. He commented on how he and DLR had never met before but their stories matched as far as working with Ed and Alex goes.

I don't think there's much question that Axl can be an asshole and he's difficult to work with.  From what I've read so far in Slash's book, he can be an asshole and difficult to work with as well.  I think most really talented people are assholes and a lot of that comes from expecting others to be at the same level that they are at.  This is why in sports, most great players don't make good coaches.  They expect more from guys than they are capable of doing.

Going with this line of thinking, it's certainly possible that Axl had high expectations regarding his vision of what the band should be and Slash had high expectations of his ideas of what they should be.  They co-existed because AFD is much closer to Slash's vision than it is to Axl's and Slash gave in somewhat with UYI, but after that neither side would give at all.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but after typing this out, Slash comes off as being a spoiled brat.  Thinking back to the book, there are multiple examples of him just turning to drugs when he didn't get his way.  I still think he's great, but he's not as different from Axl as I think he'd like to believe.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

You also can't say they didn't know who Axl was going into this with them.  He had many temper tantrums during AFD, example throwing the microphone at the tech guys if the sound wasn't right.  They knew he was a loose cannon so you can't be surprised at some of the antics that happened along the way.

Like Slash says in BTM, anything you've heard about Axl or whatever you think of him based on his behavior and actions is also the source of what drives him and the reason he's such a great frontman and songwriter. To be without the mood swings and tempers would be to be without the mesmerising performances and songs.

A Private Eye wrote:
DoubleTalkingJive wrote:

Like Slash says in BTM, anything you've heard about Axl or whatever you think of him based on his behavior and actions is also the source of what drives him and the reason he's such a great frontman and songwriter. To be without the mood swings and tempers would be to be without the mesmerising performances and songs.

Ultimately this is what they are saying led to the demize of the band and how it's all Axl's fault.  That's my point, so if Slash admits this is what made Axl great then really how can he be at fault for the band's breakup.  Axl was being Axl and the Axl he's always been.

Board footer